Will my mail arrive on time?

Hey all,

I am sure this topic has been covered before, but the search function did not provide an answer to my question specifically.

I went to the post office today to mail a small envelope with two letters inside of it back to my hometown in the USA. I live in Tainan, and my hometown is on the east coast of America. I need these two letters to arrive at their destination by next Friday. When I was talking to clerk he said that my letters should arrive in a week. I sent them by regular air mail…If they arrive within a week that is fine, but I am nervous that it might take longer.

So, has anyone had any experience sending letters back to the USA? How long did it usually take for them to arrive? Sorry if this topic has been covered before.

Thanks for reading!

The relative word is “should”.
Though if there is a time constraint, why not have spent a bit more cash and got the express or even courier option?

Indeed.

Well, you’ve sent it now so only time will tell. If it’s any consolation I have only ever had problems with mail coming into Taiwan. One package took almost 3 months via a highly circuitous route starting in Thailand. Packages back to the UK have always arrived within a week or so.

[quote=“Ihoop”]Hey all,

I am sure this topic has been covered before, but the search function did not provide an answer to my question specifically.

I went to the post office today to mail a small envelope with two letters inside of it back to my hometown in the USA. I live in Tainan, and my hometown is on the east coast of America. I need these two letters to arrive at their destination by next Friday.[/quote]
By “next Friday”, do you mean the 22nd or the 29th? (It’s around the time when the term “next” has two plausible interpretations.)

If the 29th, I’d say the chances are about 90% that it will arrive by then. If it’s the 22nd, it’s highly unlikely it will arrive on time.

But if I were mailing something that had serious repercussions if it were to arrive late, I would perhaps use UPS or FedEx to maximize the chances of timely arrival.

Haha, sorry, I mean by the 29th…I guess I put a little too much faith in what the man at the post office told me. I should have sent it Fedex or UPS. It won’t be the end of the world if these two letters do not arrive by the 29th, but it would really inconvenience me. Anyway, thanks for all the replies!

Wouldn’t be much more reliable using FedEx/UPS We use them constantly with a very erratic service at best. Some packages come from USA in a matter of 3/4 days and some seem to take 2 weeks…same service? Good luck anyway.

EMS service is awesome. Cheaper, maybe a day or two slower in theory, but very reliable. Also available at your local Post Office.

The problem is not here, but in the US. Once the letter leaves taiwan -which is quite promptly, firts available flight- then it is someone else’s responsibility.

I have found that you can usually add about 50% more time to whatever the PO says for both directions of mail. I think it’s due to the variable amount of time that mail/packages spend in customs (twice). Sometimes it’s faster.

[quote=“tomthorne”]Indeed.

Well, you’ve sent it now so only time will tell. If it’s any consolation I have only ever had problems with mail coming into Taiwan. One package took almost 3 months via a highly circuitous route starting in Thailand. Packages back to the UK have always arrived within a week or so.[/quote]

Royal Mail is good at that. Seems that people whose job it is to sort mail headed for different countries ought to be a little bit better educated on the difference between Taiwan and Thailand. Still, classless society and all that…

Another favorite is the webstore software that tacks “Province of China” to the end of the country, meaning the package will be sent to China 50% of the time.

Thought I’d resurrect this old thread instead of a new one.

I sent an important document to Canada on October 4th, I was going to send it regular non tracked mail since I’ve never lost anything in either country in the mail before.
The lady offered me registered for $50 nt more and i took it . Ems was $300 more but since I had 2 months I figured regular mail would be fine.

Now it’s Oct 23 and the recipient said nothing arrived. I called Canada post and they said they don’t track those registered letters, only if I sent it ems then it’s tracked.
The post office filed a find an item form but if Canada post is right they don’t track it anyway.

Anyone know what the turnaround time is from Taiwan to Canada? The recipient said it might be stuck in customs but why would documents get stuck?
Another thing I noticed was I sent the envelope to Toronto but Taiwan post shows it was sent to the Vancouver processing centre.

Today would be 13 biz days later

It took once 21 days for a letter from Taipei to arrive in Nantou. Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Yikes…That’s ridiculous
Who knows maybe it is still in Taiwan.

Tracking shows

Departure from outgoing office

Oct/05/2018

10:53

TAIPEI TAIWAN

OFFICE OF DESTINATION:VANCOUVER CANADA
DESPATCH NO.:1500
Departure from original country:
2018/10/05

Acceptance

Oct/04/2018

11:24

A couple of years ago I sent Christmas cards in early December, and they arrived sometime in February: a couple of months. That was just with regular mail.

I no longer send Christmas cards. Based on that timeline, I’d already be too late for this year.

1 Like

So I guess I’d be best to get the document ready again and send it EMS this week. I was going to give it until the end of the week to see if it shows up but if I wait too long, all those Christmas parcels will mess up my plan.

Plus Canada post is doing rotating strikes now, I wouldnt put it past them to be slowing down shipments as work to rule

Is there a reliable way to send important things through the mail internationally? As I understand it, no matter what service you use, it’s always a huge risk. Some are better than others but even the best service will claim that they’re not responsible should an important item arrive in an exorbitantly long amount of time. Am I correct in starting this?

My wife and I once had an extremely important document that had to arrive on time. Being late simply was not an option. My wife chose to purchase a round-trip ticket to hand deliver it. It would have been nice if there were guaranteed delivery options. Are there? As far as I know, there are none…

1 Like

I guess I’ve been lucky to date that nothing I have sent between Taiwan and Canada has ever gone missing

The German embassy in Taiwan stopped using Taiwan Post sending documents inside Taiwan a while ago. They use now a courier service. And you still have to sign off taking the risk of documents getting lost.

Guess I’ve been lucky but that says a lot that an embassy dropped Taiwan Post.
I asked them today and the guy said the service standard to Canada is 1 to 1.5 months which sounds ridiculous but I’m guessing that perhaps they don’t get enough volume to Canada to send it faster.