Will pay for someone doing little resear for me in Taiwan!

Hi,
I live in the UK but I am thinking about studying in Taiwan. I tried to obtain some information about degrees but I need to make sure whether the universities i chose teach in english. this is difficult because - I don’t speak chinese and everywhere I tried calling people didn’t understand me but also there is the amount of time AND time difference. I work full time so the only way I can do it is in the middle of the night!
I offer to pay a small fee for someone to go through a list of 12 schools, call them and ask specific questions I have.
Please help! I asked few people I know but they all said no :frowning:
Agata

Degree courses taught in English? Don’t think there are any. Some Masters courses, some postgrad stuff, that’s about all. Why would you think schools catering to Taiwanese children would teach them in a foreign language? How many universities in the UK, for example, teach undergrad courses in Chinese?

Anyway, why not post your questions here? I’m sure you’ll get some or all of them answered for free – most of them have probably been asked and answered before on here many times.

[quote=“Agata”]Hi,
I live in the UK but I am thinking about studying in Taiwan. I tried to obtain some information about degrees but I need to make sure whether the universities i chose teach in english. this is difficult because - I don’t speak Chinese and everywhere I tried calling people didn’t understand me but also there is the amount of time AND time difference. I work full time so the only way I can do it is in the middle of the night!
I offer to pay a small fee for someone to go through a list of 12 schools, call them and ask specific questions I have.
Please help! I asked few people I know but they all said no :frowning:
Agata[/quote]

Agatha, don’t worry. Middle of the night is actually the best time to call here, due to the time difference.

First of all, there are several programs taught in English, but obviously limited. The ones I know of are at graduate level.

Please check http://www.iee.nccu.edu.tw/english/admission/iup.php and http://www.nccu.edu.tw/english/The NCCU was the first university to set up programs taught in English, with the IMBA being the first fully taught in English. Also, in that link there is a big list of the courses offered in English in several specialties. However, I am really not sure you can have a whole BA done in English. Anyway, there is a link there to write to them and ask straight up.

And as Sandman says, most questions regarding universities have been asked before. Actually, it would be greartly helpful if people currently studying in different programs could rate them according to the prevalence of English courses -say, 70%, 60%, etc.- and hence it would help you and others out better -and for free.

A few unis have SOME courses but not all taught in English. For example, I taught a media course at Yuan Da University in NeiLi in English for a few years. They try to have about half their programme in English especially for senior years, including things like media, economics, English (of course) and marketing, in order to get their students more competitive in the international market.

I can’t help with other unis, but I suspect that it is mostly the smaller ones that have the luxury of doing this for undergraduates as a way of differentiating themselves from the herd. None, AFAIK, teaches totally in English.

Some postgraduate medicine and life science is also taught in English to PhD students at the major unis like YangMing and National Taiwan Uni, because almost all medical and molecular biology texts are in English.

I think your experience of calling should be a good indicator of what you will find here in terms of English support. This may be difficult to understand from your perspective, but just because a program in Taiwan claims to be taught in English doesn’t mean that it will be. This is not fraud–the Taiwanese would like to offer programs in English but they often don’t have the resources or experience to do it properly. I hear that a few MBA type programs really are taught in English, and I’m confident that you will manage somehow if you come.

More importantly, why on earth would you want to do a degree program here in English? I would question whether you would learn much of any real value. Taiwan’s unis are pretty mickey mouse.

Oh, and another point: while one r some of the classes may well be in English, you can bet your last cent that absolutely none of the administration and support will be in English, nor will anyone working in those areas be able to understand a phone call in English either.

How much does the job pay?

Well, at NCCU’s OIP, our gong tu shen -student assistants- are quite fluent in English. :discodance:

Good for you! That’s a surprise to me, as almost all of the staff at Yuan Ze were not :cry: which made many things difficult. There was one grad student who was payed to look after me, so things did get done, but without her I was lost.

Agata, you might try visiting the Taiwan representative office in London. It is near Victoria Station. I think they also have an office in Edinburgh. Also, there are some colleges in the UK that have a lot of Taiwanese students who might be willing to help you. Oxford Brookes University is one of them.