Will there be any issues transiting through Hong Kong?

I’m expecting family to fly here from the US. They transit through HKIA and then to Taipei. Anyone know about issues with that? I don’t think there should be but I’ve heard stories about kids having to stay home in quarantine because their flight went through HK.

1 Like

I think this deserves its own topic. Other travel-related issues may come up as well

2 Likes

I’ve got a flight back to England via Bangkok booked for Feb 16th. I doubt it’s going to happen.

That’s what I’m thinking too. It’d be great if they’d just reroute from DFW-HKG-TPE to DFW-LAX-TPE… I understand they have to wait or they’ll be changing again as the date nears. Hope things stay stable here. (fingers crossed)

Officially, transiting in either Hong Kong or Macau isn’t supposed to impact arrivals. Let me try to find the source.

1 Like

My in laws just told me TW news just announced all flights from HK will be stopped, but they aren’t the most fact-oriented family so who knows…/

This article cites policy that says such situations do not impact travelers. The part on Chinese airports sort of surprised me - note that it’s from a few days ago. If it were easy enough to change itineraries, that probably would be the safe thing to do.

Travelers who have merely changed flights in Chinese airports, as well as residents of Hong Kong and Macao, will not be affected by the new regulations, Yeh said.

CDC policy doesn’t really confirm either way.

Foreign nationals : starting from February 7, foreign nationals who have visited or resided in China, Hong Kong and Macau in the previous 14 days are temporarily from entering Taiwan.

https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Bulletin/Detail/KMAEC24Yf_5cm94oNL4Jxg?typeid=158

Wait really, so people transiting in HK aren’t going to be subjected to the 14-day self quarantine?
I was under the impression any flight from HK was affected.

1 Like

I haven’t heard of any countries or airlines banning Thailand. Italy banned Taiwan, but Italy is a dummy. :man_shrugging:

Why do you think the flight won’t happen?

2 Likes

I see this on the Cathay Pacific website. So far, it looks like transiting passengers through HKG to TPE will be fine. https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_AU/travel-information/travel-preparation/travel-advisories/notice-regarding-travel-restrictions.html

2 Likes

I have a bad feeling that coronavirus outside China is about to take off. I’ve yet to see any logical reason why it won’t.

3 Likes

We did jump up to 16 cases in Taiwan today. Seems the worst is yet to come.

2 Likes

I’m coming back through HKG next month, via Cathay-Pacific. I got an email a few hours ago notifying me they’ve switched my flight. So far it just means an additional 75 minutes in Cathay’s lounge there (not exactly hard time), but I will admit to some unease anyway.

1 Like

Perhaps it will, but we’re not going to reach pandemic levels in Taiwan or Thailand between now and a week from now. I’m currently in Singapore and leave on Feb 11th and I’m not worried. We’ve had 30 cases here, and people are actually more laidback about it than in Taiwan.

If we do reach several hundred or thousand cases (highly unlikely imo), then yes I could see travel being shut down. But that kind of huge economic hit on the airlines and other businesses needs a solid rationale behind it, and I just don’t see things getting THAT severe in the next week. I’m thinking there’ll be dozens more in Taiwan and other non-China countries in the next month… not hundreds (and not thousands). Of course I could be wrong and you can screenshot this and embarrass me with it in a month. But I think if I am wrong, we will all have much bigger problems. Bottom line, if I were you I’d be confident in the flight happening.

From the latest news I would not be 100% about transiting through HK, but it’s such an important transit point what are the alternatives ?

1 Like

I am very surprised that 2 of the latest cases contracted the virus through a layover in HK because I had a layover in HK around that time. :eek:

2 Likes

What’s the source?

Guy

The news.

1 Like

Thanks. :roll_eyes:

Guy

Yes, do be prepared for sudden changes.

I arrived at TPE yesterday and found out that the e-gate system is no longer open to non Taiwan nationals. It was fine when I departed…

Guy

1 Like