Williams pear schnapps

Anyone know where I can find this German schnapps in Taipei?

Its Swiss or French, not German. And the chain called Drinks sometimes has it.

Regardless where it was invented: I have not seen any German brands of Williamsbirne (Or any other Obstler) in Taiwan, yet. My friends normally get it hand-carried by coworkers that visit Taiwan, bringing a bottle or two of Schladerer brand with them occasionally.

But probably other countries’ equivalents, especially french, can be found in the drinks chain as sandman mentioned, or maybe also at the western supermarkets.

Hey thanks, found this on drinks website.

drinks.com.tw/a_item_one.php?item_id=304

法國MB西洋梨香甜酒
Marie Brizard Poire William Liqueur

Is this the equivalent ?

[quote=“Newbie2011”]Hey thanks, found this on drinks website.

法國MB西洋梨香甜酒

Is this the equivalent ?[/quote]

I am afraid not. The name “Poire William” can refer to the same thing as the German “Willi” refers to (eg. a clear pear brandy). The word “Liqueur” made me wonder a lot, though. Even neither English nor French are my native tongue, I was pretty sure it carries a different meaning than in German (where it would be a sweetish alcoholic drink, where the fruit is not necessarily distilled, but it might be just a mix of alcohol and other stuff like juices). But looking at the picture, I am almost positive the presence of a distinctive orange colour indicates something very different than what you expect:

Also the manufacturer’s website is not 100% clear when they say:

I guess this means this drink contains “Poire William brandy” (which I guess is the equivalent you are looking for), but has other stuff blended with it. Probably fruity aromas and colourings, by the look of it.

It looks cheap, so you might give it a try anyway. I will check in the western supermarkets next time i am there, I would be very surprised if the genuine stuff (wherever produced) can not be sourced there.

[quote=“olm”][quote=“Newbie2011”]Hey thanks, found this on drinks website.

法國MB西洋梨香甜酒

Is this the equivalent ?[/quote]

I am afraid not. The name “Poire William” can refer to the same thing as the German “Willi” refers to (eg. a clear pear brandy). The word “Liqueur” made me wonder a lot, though. Even neither English nor French are my native tongue, I was pretty sure it carries a different meaning than in German (where it would be a sweetish alcoholic drink, where the fruit is not necessarily distilled, but it might be just a mix of alcohol and other stuff like juices). But looking at the picture, I am almost positive the presence of a distinctive orange colour indicates something very different than what you expect:

Also the manufacturer’s website is not 100% clear when they say:

I guess this means this drink contains “Poire William brandy” (which I guess is the equivalent you are looking for), but has other stuff blended with it. Probably fruity aromas and colourings, by the look of it.

It looks cheap, so you might give it a try anyway. I will check in the western supermarkets next time i am there, I would be very surprised if the genuine stuff (wherever produced) can not be sourced there.[/quote]
That stuff is HORRIBLE! Like ALL Marie Brizard products. It is NOT poire William. Poire William is schnapps, or eau de vie. Distillates. They should be around 80-proof. That Marie Brizard crap is less than half that and NOTHING like the real thing. It should be clear, like vodka. Maybe with a pear grown inside the bottle, but still, it should be HARD liquor, not that sweetened syrupy crap, which might be tolerable on icecream, but not in a glass.