Win98 Chinese input problems

I’m using English Windows98 and thought that by downloading the Chinese IMEs as “promised” by Microsoft I would be able to enter CHinese text. However my keyboard icon on the bottom right stubbornly tells me that it only supports US English.
Has anyone else got this problem and solved it successfully?

The IME only works if you are in an application that supports it, such as a text input field in a webpage viewed by Internet Explorer. First you must put the cursor in a tex box, then you should be able to change languages.

quote:
Originally posted by shimmers: I'm using English Windows98 and thought that by downloading the Chinese IMEs as "promised" by Microsoft I would be able to enter CHinese text. However my keyboard icon on the bottom right stubbornly tells me that it only supports US English. Has anyone else got this problem and solved it successfully?

If you want to seep windows 98, get something like twinbridge that will allow you to see and write in Chinese. Get windows 2000 (win xp if you want) which contains a somewhat real input system.

Mark

From what I understand, the M$ Chinese IME spits out Chinese in UNICODE…so only apps that support UNICODE could use it. NJSTAR, RichWIN, TwinBridge, etc typically use BIG5 which is just a combination of 2 ASCII characters mapped to a Chinese character.

I use windows98, and for all since most of my text entry is in IE or Word/Excel, the standard Chinese IME works fine. NJSTAR works great in notepad.

Shimmers, read the text on the MS website regarding their chinese and japanese IMEs for Win98 carefully and you will notice that those IMEs only work within an IE window! They are useless if you want to write a text document or do something similar. As others pointed out already, you will need a language extension software like Twinbridge, Unionway or the like - or you get Win2k, which supports unicode. The chinese and japanese IMEs for Win2k will work in any application. Or: Go and buy a Mac, OS X supports unicode (and a lot of IMEs) too…

Yep… I found out how limited the IME is and I still can’t get it to work!

I finally made progress by installing IE6 instead of 5.5 I was using before. Now bottom right corner registers Chinese input, but guess what… when I actually try using the “soft keyboard” it comes out blank. Useful huh. And if I do happen to give it an acceptable combination of keys, the Chinese characters it presents me with are blank too. Strangely, simplified Chinese input works…but with the limitations mentioned.

I haven’t found Richwin or Twinbridge on sale. Is Dr Eye OK?

NJStar is great - and it supports Pinyin and Chinese traditional characters - a delicious and rare mix - If you don’t have a lot to do - write it in NJStar and paste it where you need it.