Windows 11

Windows 11 is coming!

https://www.xda-developers.com/hands-on-windows-11/

It is basically Windows 10 with an different UI.

The virtual keyboard has GIF reactions support :rofl:
They really thought it is worth getting that in!

wtf_developer

5 Likes

Any REAL update?
:idunno:

I will use a GIF reaction from the new virtual keyboard in Windows 11 to answer that:

btw. the comments in the article have a link to download the ISO. Do so at your own risk.

3 Likes

All early builds are basically their predecessor.

2 Likes

They won’t start from scratch nuking their whole ecosystem. This is fine.

I am complaining about the lack of new and actually useful features besides UI refresh!

GIF reactions, a few more options in window management and shiny UI. :sideeye:
Edit: I forgot you can center your app icons in taskbar to look like Ubuntu/iOS

1 Like

Yeah I know, but we won’t see many under the hood changes until the product is closer to release.

Early longhorn builds were XP until they weren’t.

And presumably it now needs a quad-core CPU and 16GB RAM just to make the GIFs animate smoothly.

2 Likes

Windows 11 is set to ship later on this year, but we’re just a week away from Microsoft’s big announcement.

We will see soon enough. :grin:

God Help us all.

1 Like

Every upgrade is another step to obsolete your current computer

2 Likes

And for them to extract more of your personal information, as well as tie up your computer while they install updates.

1 Like

Yes we need more gifs!

Microsoft releasing Windows 11

2 Likes

Not necessarily.

Hardware comes out with more capabilities

Software then follows to take advantage of those capabilities and less restrictions.

Like what? I guess for most users it already has more features than they’ll ever use.

Ubuntu > Win

1 Like

I agree. I’m still on Windows 7 because it does everything I need to do.

Once upon a time operating systems were built in an incredibly conservative manner, because they had to do a certain limited range of things 100% correctly. Bugs in the OS were not acceptable. There’s far too much crap in Windows that doesn’t even belong in the OS - it’s application-level stuff that should be delivered in different distributions. Linux seems to have got this nailed, although I’m still less than impressed by Linux usability.

2 Likes

indeed you are encouraged to junk your current puter and put forth some money towards a new and better one with better hardware to take advantage of the better software…obsoleting your puter …if not in the first instance then in the second one or the third …

i have officially given up on windows. I am happily using linux and will continue to do so from now.

There is a joke , the wife got the house and Bill got to keep the Windows…

one day the world will wean itself off windows.

No. Windows 10 worked on a variety of PCs from the last 13 years.

Mine is 6 years old. That would have been unheard of in 2005.

I have a 10 year old laptop that runs just fine. In fact, longevity has been higher than ever in the PC space.

Windows 10 was offered as a free upgrade for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users.

Windows 10 is supported for 10 full years and received major version updates for its entire time.

6 Likes

yup and…happy your experience was a good one

i’ve used windows since 1995 and every 3 years or so I upgraded to a new puter. I did pick them on the cheap end though so they were not the cutting edge pickings

But seems each update seems to burden the puter more and more and makes them slower and slower.
Yes and I went from win 95 to win this and win that and got the free upgrade to 10 as well.

But finally i said enough is enough and i didnt feel like throwing my puter away so i now use a light version of ubuntu and its working fine. The puter is not dead slow like it had been when burdened by windows.

windows is a burden. I don’t need a lot of software and what linux offers is good enough for my needs so I am going off windows, hopefully for good…im not in the applesphere like my wife with her mac and iphones (i do iphone though).

1 Like