Windows Install (which flavor)

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]As far as I know, most versions of Windows XP and up run your avarage every day office software both Chinese and English. But as far as I know, only Window 7 Ultimate has the ability to change the language of the operating system.

This is important, as I’m the “Tech” in my house that has to get things working, including my wife’s Chinese programs plus, if it is something that I can’t fixed with my knowlege, it can be switched to Chinese so my wife or my friend who is loaning me his extra copy can switch to Chinese.

I know for a fact that Windows 7 home or starter can run both English and Chinese Software but you can only CHOOSE 1 OS language. All are in there, but if you change the language, windows will erase the installation and re-install in the chosen language. Actually, I only know about Windows Starter because that it what I have.

So, if I choose to be independent from my friend, who will take my computer away for the weekend :frowning: what software should I buy? Will the lowest version of windows 8 or windows 7 Home, if I can get a close out deal, allow me to change OS languages?

As for the software, I buy a lot of my software and have invested some change in windows software. Any current windows package that will run everyday program, with a multiple language os. Thanks.[/quote]

Windows 8 lets you change the system language, but I don’t know if it’s on-the-fly. Windows 7 allows it as long as you didn’t buy it in Taiwan. Here, you only have the chinese version, at least in my experience with my wife and inlaws’ computers. Everytime I have to fix something, it’s a pain in the arse, because they don’t know how to translate the chinese, and I can’t change the system language to spanish, english, catalan, or anything else but chinese.

In Linux, each user can have its own different system language, and you can change it as you go. You only need to install the language packages, and you’re ready to go. That doesn’t only change the system language, but all the available software too (Gimp, LibreOffice, your browser, your e-mail program…)

Get windows vista ultimate editions.
It will allow you to install the language packs and change the system language as you wish.
There should be a lot of cheap copies around since nobody liked to use it at that time cause the hardware wasn’t capable enough/ too expensive,.
Now with 4 to 8 GB of ram, there shouldn’t be any problem.

I still have the original MS ultimate edition 32 and 64 bits, however I use Linux.
The other is windows XP professional, support ended, but, the English version can install additional languages and allows you to change the interface.

Get a cheap windows Vista for 1000NT$ from someone and use Linux as a dual boot.

A copy of windows 7 or 8 will cost you like 6-8K NT$.
You can invest that money in a better video card, faster CPU and more Ram.

My copy of of W7 cost 3100NT.

You can choose different install languages but you can’t change it after you have installed it. Additionally the install disc that you buy in Taiwan will probably only have a Chinese install but the product key still works. You will have to go to the microsoft support forum and find the correct install.

Alternatively you can buy the license online and download the iso from microsof. It’s legal and you can choose the version you want or need

Did I get a message from Jesus! Did he say, ISO, that means Image of a bootable DVD? Can I burn that into a DVD? What package do you recommend.

Upgrade or OEM? What’s the best price?

Do to viruses, I find that I need to do a clean install a few times a year. If I choose the upgrade, does that mean I have to install an old version of Windows (would XP be acceptable, I own that one) and then install the upgrade disk each time wipe my drive clean? Bummer, I’d like a one disk install. The win 7 I have in my computer now, may or may not be Kosher.

Please give me some good purchase options, Thinking I’m gonna take out my credit card tomorrow night.

*Due to viruses

Yes, that’s what happens with Windows if you’re not careful (paranoid) enough.

If you take the upgrade, everytime you wipe the disk you have to install the old OS, then upgrade to the new one. #windowsproblems

Since it’s a Windows 7 a friend “lent” to you, I’m guessing it’s not Kosher according to Microsoft’s policies.

Did I get a message from Jesus! Did he say, ISO, that means Image of a bootable DVD? Can I burn that into a DVD? What package do you recommend.

Upgrade or OEM? What’s the best price?

Do to viruses, I find that I need to do a clean install a few times a year. If I choose the upgrade, does that mean I have to install an old version of Windows (would XP be acceptable, I own that one) and then install the upgrade disk each time wipe my drive clean? Bummer, I’d like a one disk install. The win 7 I have in my computer now, may or may not be Kosher.

Please give me some good purchase options, Thinking I’m gonna take out my credit card tomorrow night.[/quote]

Man, I’m sorry to say that I remember nothing about prices and options. But check out the Microsoft site, I’m sure that prices and so have changed since last time I had to check them. Jesus says do it :smiley: