Windows now on Mac

I might be tempted to do this, but only for the very few toys that don’t run on Mac: OED, a few games, and some shite for work.

Anyone else?

[quote=“BBC Tech”]Boot Camp, a new utility released by Apple, makes it easy for anybody to install Windows XP on to a new Mac.

It will not work on the older G5 and G4 Macs, but it opens a whole new world of compatibility to anybody with a Mac running one of the new Intel processors.

It is a bold move by Apple that has taken everybody by surprise, although looking back, the signs were there that it was going to happen ever since Apple announced the switch to Intel processors last June.

Boot Camp is currently available as a free trial, and it is scheduled to form part of Leopard, the next version of OS X operating system.

These are the first details we have heard on the new operating system, and more information is expected in August at Apple’s World Wide Developer Conference.

It means that Apple has had its Windows dual boot system in development for some time now.

DIY method

Apple may have been forced into releasing Boot Camp this early by Jesus Lopez and Eric Wasserman.

The two pioneering software programmers succeeded in first installing a copy of Windows XP on an Intel Mac on 16 March.

Apple store in the US
With Windows running on an Apple machine, Mac gamers now have the ability to run all the latest Windows games without having to wait for a company to port them across to the Mac platform

Test your Apple knowledge
The pair won a $13,000 bounty from the OnMac.net website for being the first people to get Windows installed on an Intel Mac. [/quote]

I thought you don’t have an Intel Mac.

It would certainly be tempting, if I had an Intel Mac already. But I would rather install Linux before I would try Windows.

I am more interested in the other option, running OS X on generic and less expensive hardware. But then you need to be able to gather all the drivers. Maybe the BSD community can help there.

I don’t have an Intel Mac, but I’m looking for a laptop. :slight_smile:
Actually, all I need is a 12" iBook, but if I can spend more and get a toy…

Ha. If you go to the BootCamp page, take a look at the screenshot of Boot Camp,

you’ll see that the Windows logo that they use is grayscale rather than the rainbow. Perhaps they did it to avoid copyright issues, but it also has the effect of making Windows look absolutely drab next to OS X.

I also love these tidbits over on the right:

[quote]Macs use an ultra-modern industry standard technology called EFI to handle booting. Sadly, Windows XP, and even the upcoming Vista, are stuck in the 1980s with old-fashioned BIOS. But with Boot Camp, the Mac can operate smoothly in both centuries.
Word to the Wise

Windows running on a Mac is like Windows running on a PC. That means it

Rumor is Taiwan’s very own Asustek will be producing the first million units of the Intel based Pinguos.