Windows XP SP2 - Optional or mandatory?

Hi,

I’m still running on SP1. Keep hesitating on installing SP2. The small amount of research that I’ve done is telling me that the results are all over the board. Worst case is people having to wipe their systems clean and reinstall Windows due to the chaos created by SP2.

Questions:

1. Is SP2 practically optional?

2. Is SP2 safe to install in most cases?

3. Any tips or advice (I know Linux is wonderful, but skip that for now)?

Thanks,

Seeker4

Go Linux. :slight_smile:

SP2 is pretty much required these days. There was a date when Microsoft was going to force SP2 install. Maybe that was delayed?

SP2 contains lots of security fixes and lots of newer apps require it. OneCare will probably require it, IE7 definitely does.

When I’ve recently used it, most of time I’ve installed XP with SP2 included. I’ve probably installed it dozens of times without problems on various machines at work.

Yeah, what gary said. SP2 for Windows XP is fine.

Certainly not mandatory. I’m not running it, and I haven’t had any problems yet.

since running it not a glitch.

I’m not running it either. Have been getting the security fixes for SP1.

Running XP Pro with SP2 and all updates a not a single glitch or problemo. I do de-frag about once a week and run CrapCleaner daily and have mucho security progs.
As far as I am concerned XP Pro is a great OS.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Running XP Pro with SP2 and all updates a not a single glitch or problemo. I do de-frag about once a week and run CrapCleaner daily and have mucho security progs.
As far as I am concerned XP Pro is a great OS.[/quote]

:slight_smile: I use OS X and have no security programs. And it does automatic defrag.

[quote=“gary”]
:slight_smile: I use OS X and have no security programs. [/quote]

Yet. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

SP2 is mandatory in the sense if you want to have your PC up-to-date, in particular the security functions.
I run XP Pro with SP2 and on-line updates, had no problems during installation or during normal use. So far that is (touch wood).