Windsurfing anybody?

Is anybody interested in windsurfing but thought it’s not possible in Taiwan? Well, it is, and it’s really good fun! Taiwan is the windiest spot in Asia, and with the right gear it’s possible to go windsurfing/kitesurfing for most of the year (June/July have the least wind). Winter is the best, the waves can get very big and the wind very strong. Commonly 3.5 - 4.5 sail sizes are used for winter and 4.5 - 5.5 for summer.
The spots most frequently visited are on the west coast just south of the international airport. These are Xia Fu, which has good waves but you have to pick the tides, Guan Yin which is almost always windy, and Yung An, which is better in a southerly (summer).
If your interested in windsurfing or kiting, check out the photos at this site:
photo.jasontsai.com
There is also this video recently taken at Xia Fu:
youtube.com/watch?v=2QROzMedJpU
I’ve been going out most weekends for a while now. Anybody else up for it?

Sorry that youtube address is:
youtube.com/watch?v=zQROzMedJpU

No, it’s:
youtube.com/watch?v=zQROzMedJqU
I think…

Yes, I was kitesurfing for a while until my kite broke. There are a number of South Africans doing it, and some damn good Taiwanese. We used to go to Zhunan. The best spot in asia of course is Muine in Vietnam

Tycoon - I may know you. I bet you know Pieter.

I used to windsurf @ zhunan almost every weekend until I moved to HKG. Windsuring in Taiwan is great from Sept./Oct. to April/May. Great wave conditions.

Tradewinds - say Hi to Nico.

Hey guys, I"m really into sport kiting, not the kitesurfing kind, but the quadline kind, does anyone know of a good kite store, or a place with kiting supplies?

[quote=“Tradewinds”]No, it’s:
youtube.com/watch?v=zQROzMedJqU
I think…[/quote]

Sign me up that looks super awesome. I will be in Taiwan in either June or more likely August. I never got into kite surfing or windsurfing cause it is only warm for about 3 months where I live and then a lot of days the conditions are crap so its not worth it. Is it possible to transport kite surfing equipment on a scooter?

How much does a set up for windsurfing or kitesurfing cost in Taiwan? My wallet is already burning a hole through my pocket.

Oh I see some nice sized waves is it possible to surf there too. I know most people stick to the east coast for surfing.

[quote=“Elegua”]Tycoon - I may know you. I bet you know Pieter.

I used to windsurf @ zhunan almost every weekend until I moved to HKG. Windsuring in Taiwan is great from Sept./Oct. to April/May. Great wave conditions.

Tradewinds - say Hi to Nico.[/quote]

Elegua do you do any windsurfing in HK e.g. Stanley? Would love to start it up again.

I gave it up for keelboats. I’m sailing with the RHKYC in Port Shelter. The wind here in HKG just sucks when compared to Taiwan, unless you like slogging on a 7.5 :slight_smile: most weekends. That said, windsurfing is still my “passion” sport. I rent equipment form Tony Fish in Chunan when I’m back in Taiwan.

Get involved in the sailing here - there are a lot of clubs and a lot of pretty high caliber sailors.

[quote=“Elegua”]I gave it up for keelboats. I’m sailing with the RHKYC in Port Shelter. The wind here in HKG just sucks when compared to Taiwan, unless you like slogging on a 7.5 :slight_smile: most weekends. That said, windsurfing is still my “passion” sport. I rent equipment form Tony Fish in Chunan when I’m back in Taiwan.

Get involved in the sailing here - there are a lot of clubs and a lot of pretty high caliber sailors.[/quote]

Might have to intro Jack and I if you could, Elegua. I got no idea what a keelboat is. Is it a costly option?

Jack Burton. I know you can rent windsurf boards on Lantau. Check this link. You can also hire them on Cheung Chau

I used to be a very regular surfer, and surfcater, but oddly enough have never tried windsurfing. It has to be a healthier option than working off a Wanchai hangover all weekend.

Maybe a HK Forumosan day on Lantau? If you are getting the ferry to Mui Wo, well that’s where I live. I also know a great post-surf eatery not far from my house

Cheers.
HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”][quote=“Elegua”]I gave it up for keelboats. I’m sailing with the RHKYC in Port Shelter. The wind here in HKG just sucks when compared to Taiwan, unless you like slogging on a 7.5 :slight_smile: most weekends. That said, windsurfing is still my “passion” sport. I rent equipment form Tony Fish in Chunan when I’m back in Taiwan.

Get involved in the sailing here - there are a lot of clubs and a lot of pretty high caliber sailors.[/quote]

Might have to intro Jack and I if you could, Elegua. I got no idea what a keelboat is. Is it a costly option?

Jack Burton. I know you can rent windsurf boards on Lantau. Check this link. You can also hire them on Cheung Chau

I used to be a very regular surfer, and surfcater, but oddly enough have never tried windsurfing. It has to be a healthier option than working off a Wanchai hangover all weekend.

Maybe a HK Forumosan day on Lantau? If you are getting the ferry to Mui Wo, well that’s where I live. I also know a great post-surf eatery not far from my house

Cheers.
HG[/quote]

HGC, I’m in Tung Chung on the weekends. Maybe when the weather gets better, we coulde check it out. Ive been to Mui Wo by bus. Theres a bar/restaurant by the ferry near a McD’s.

Then you’re relatively close. That pub’s alright, but the eatery I’m talking about is further around the bay.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”][quote=“Elegua”]I gave it up for keelboats. I’m sailing with the RHKYC in Port Shelter. The wind here in HKG just sucks when compared to Taiwan, unless you like slogging on a 7.5 :slight_smile: most weekends. That said, windsurfing is still my “passion” sport. I rent equipment form Tony Fish in Chunan when I’m back in Taiwan.

Cheers.
HG[/quote]

Long Beach Surf club is also a good option. They guy who runs it (Hau) is good and goes to Penghu for the AWT each year.

windlovers.com is also a good site for more info. in general about the kite and windsurf scene.

The spot in Cheung Chau is nice as well, but the winter wind is a bit offshore. The son, Duncan Chou sails in Taiwan at Chunan and is a very, very good wave/freestyle/shortboarder.

I’ve never tried the ferry - only done the train/bus over hill thing. I’d be interested in trying the ferry. Anyway, didn’t we promise some Greater Forumosa events?

For those not far enough along to be ready to purchase a rig where is a good, or the best place close to TPE to rent boards ? maybe even get a little (free) instruction ?

I have seen people practicing at Fulong in the small river flowing into the sea. Seems a pretty good place because you don’t need to worry about getting too far out and having to paddle back to the shore.

That said I know nothing of the rental cost, etc. but am interested to learn more about this sport if anyone has info.

Hi Connel. The best place to learn windsurfing or kitesurfing is probably Spot X-Sport, which is located in ZhuNan (near HsinZhu). Check out their website:

spot.com.tw/chines/html/new/new_index.htm

They rent and sell gear and have a good environment for learning both windsurfing and kitesurfing. ZhuNan is over an hours drive from Taipei, but I think Spot X-Sport has some form of accomodation so you could go down and stay for the weekend. If you are interested in buying second hand-gear later, you could post a message on Jason’s website (listed previously).

Talk to Tony Fish at Spot pm me for his mobile. He also know how to get to lots of used equipment. If you’re in TXG, talk to Jeff.

Thks… I’ll check those places out. I also heard at the HH that kitesurfing is the way to go rather than windsurfing? would you agree (cooler, cheaper & easier to transport) ?

BTW: What is “TXG” ?

I’m not going to be in tw for the next mth, but I noticed they offer a beginners kitesurfing course on the spot-x-sport website. NTD1,500 for a days tuition. Any one else interested ?

spot.com.tw/english/html/train/train_03.htm

[quote=“Connel”]Thks… I’ll check those places out. I also heard at the HH that kitesurfing is the way to go rather than windsurfing? would you agree (cooler, cheaper & easier to transport) ?

BTW: What is “TXG” ?[/quote]

TXG = Taichung

Kitesurfing is easier to learn and relatively cheaper than windsurfing…but…I’ve seen 90kg friends (who are very good kitsurfers) get bounced along the beach due to a gust…another riped all of the tendons in his ankle…Taiwan is very windy and gusty…any you never hear this happening to windsurfers, even in fairly extreme conditions…but just my 0.02.

It’s up to you whether to choose windsurfing, kitesurfing, or both. Both sports put a dent in your wallet, but they’re worth it. For windsurfing you would ideally want to have access to a car, kitesurfing, not necessarily, but it’s a fair way from Taipei on a scooter (but still doable). A lot of windsurfers in Taiwan kite in the summer when the wind isn’t so strong. If you kite it opens up a lot more spots around the North coast which generally aren’t windy enough for windsurfing, and the water isn’t polluted (Ilan, JinShan, BaiShaWan). I recommend you take a lesson at Tony’s shop and see what you think. You’ll love it!