Wine Alert & Directory

I would like to propose starting a [i][b]

Last night I bought 6 bottles of a South African pinotage for NT$199 each, 6 bottles of Bush (I think it’s called) Australian chardonnay, also for NT$199 and 6 bottles of a Cote de Provence rose for NT$229.

None of them are outstanding or even exceptional, but they’re all perfectly acceptable glugging wines. The rose in particular is very nice well-chilled on a hot lazy afternoon.

Available in RTMart.

[quote=“sandman”]Last night I bought 6 bottles of a South African pinotage for NT$199 each, 6 bottles of Bush (I think it’s called) Australian chardonnay, also for NT$199 and 6 bottles of a Cote de Provence rose for NT$229.

None of them are outstanding or even exceptional, but they’re all perfectly acceptable glugging wines. The rose in particular is very nice well-chilled on a hot lazy afternoon.

Available in RTMart.[/quote]

We were at Costco Saturday and got a few bottles of Gyser Peak and Kendal-Jackson, some California wines that I am getting very used to.

Thanks Interlocutor! Nice topic.

I myself am new to the wonderful world of wines, always been a beer or vodka tonic/vodka cranberry drinker, but I have noticed since I turned 30 that if I drink my six pack daily as I always have I cannot maintain my 6 pack stomach any longer.

So with this the case I decided to stay away from the beer during the week and start trying wine instead, but as I soon found out on my trips to Costco or the package store I was lost. I had no clue what to buy and still dont, I just buy about 6 bottles each time and pray for the best. So hopefully this topic will assist me next time I go to Costco!

[quote=“Monk”]Thanks Interlocutor! Nice topic.

I myself am new to the wonderful world of wines, always been a beer or vodka tonic/vodka cranberry drinker, but I have noticed since I turned 30 that if I drink my six pack daily as I always have I cannot maintain my 6 pack stomach any longer.

So with this the case I decided to stay away from the beer during the week and start trying wine instead, but as I soon found out on my trips to Costco or the package store I was lost. I had no clue what to buy and still dont, I just buy about 6 bottles each time and pray for the best. So hopefully this topic will assist me next time I go to Costco![/quote]

Monk, we all have different tastes, so you’ve got to learn what yours are. Randomly buying wine may be an expensive way to learn what you prefer.

I’m not a fan of bitter wines, so I stay away from French bordeaux. I prefer sweeter stuff, and have found good Chilean wines that are evry fruity.

I am hooked now on Kendall Jackson and Gyser Park wines. They are fruity and sweeter than their European counterparts. They can get pricey as they are new-luxury wines, but I have never been let down by any KJ or GP wine over 600NT$ a bottle.

Wine club anyone??

Sandman wrote:

Jdsmith wrote:

[quote]

Yes, I am starting to learn that it is quite expensive. been spending much more on wine recently than I spent on the beer or GGoose, but the swelling in my belly has went down considerably so it is worth it. Also, I figure when I get the taste for what I like I will not purchase as much.

[quote]I’m not a fan of bitter wines, so I stay away from French bordeaux. I prefer sweeter stuff, and have found good Chilean wines that are evry fruity.
[/quote]

I have found I do not like the bitter ones myself, but I had yet to pinpoint it to a certain type of wine so thanks for the heads up on the French Bordeaux.

I wouldn

thanks, perfect, since I do not like the dry type either.

[quote=“Interlocutor”]I wouldn

Great topic idea. Thanks!

I don’t know much at all about wine, but I do know that I enjoy it often enough when someone who does know recommends something. I really like the dry reds… I look forward to reading about different wines and opinions re the same and also where and when we might be able to purchase them in Taipei.

:slight_smile:

With the coming of the Chinese New Year holiday I have seen some good deals on gift packages of wine. RT Mart (the outlet on Bade Lu at least) seems to have the best. They have several units of double bottles packaged together at a reduced price. This past week they had an impressive selection of mostly reds from a variety of regions (California, South Africa, Argentina, etc) and it seems like a good time to stock up on some you like or try some you have been wondering about at a reduced price.

I have picked up several of a particular red I have enjoyed quite a bit. A Malbec from Argentina (Terrazas is the brand name). Buying the package gets you about 15% off the single bottle price, bringing it under NT$300.

I also saw some specials at Costco but that was about two weeks ago. One good deal was three bottles of an Australian Cabernet Sauvignon (Bruce Murray) for I think about 20%, off but not sure. They had some other similar double bottle packages but some got pretty pricey.

If anyone sees any other good wine deals around please post 'em.

when i was in taipei i stumbled upon a french guy who runs a little wine shop in Tienmu. It was a shop opposite the haagen dazs cafe and next to the welcome. Hard to find, kind of like a basement shop. Anyway, he seemed to know his sh@t and would help to choose wine if you explained roughly what you wanted. And he delivered if you bought a case or more. Seemed like a nice deal and the wine i bought seemed pretty good. And he has regular tastings where you pay about 5-800NT each, but can basically glug away all night and have some tucker as well (all be it of the buffet variety). Has anyone else had any bad experiences with this shop? As all mine are good!!

wayneowen wrote:

That place is:

Sommelier Wine Expert
1F, No 3, Tien-Mu West Rd. (almost directly under the Wellcome entrance)
2872-3531

They have a good selection and friendly knowledgeable staff. Their prices are not bad if you get the “member price” but average is probably NT$500-600 and up. Good for people who know wine or want to learn more about it. There is a little bar set up inside with tasting samples and they sell wines by the glass there also.

I have heard about their parties awhile ago but not sure if they still have them. I have only bought wine two times at this shop and both times the cork was rotted and crumbled on opening. This gave the wine a musty smell and taste. I don’t know if it is because they are in a basement shop and hence more humidity or what. Maybe just bad luck twice. I know they would replace it if I brought it back but Tien Mu is a long haul from Taipei just to exchange a bottle. I would still try them again but perhaps have them open it if I’m going to have it that night. And I would certainly get them to agree to replace any bottles with this problem if I bought a case.

We may need to stock up as wine prices are set to rise with new Taiwan inspection regulations. The European chamber of commerce is protesting it as unfair. I don’t know when this will take effect though.

Thanks for the heads up.

RT Mart has brought in a wide variety of new wines at very reasonable prices on sale at the moment. I stopped in the Bade Rd store last night and was impressed with their new display. Most of them seemed to be French. The French have had great difficulties in the wine market recently due to the popularity of new world wines and maybe this is their answer to it. Don’t know yet about the quality as I picked up a couple of bottles but have yet to sample them.

They have also expaded their boxed wine selection and are at good prices also. Planning to try one of those soon as I have never explored boxed wines but the prices are attractive.

RT Mart also has the most reasonably priced Beaujolais nouveau I’ve seen, at between NT$200 - $400. The Breeze supermarket is selling it starting at NT$600 up to around $900.

Thanks, Interlocutor. I meant to post about this but forgot. The Beaujolias Noveau is shite, as you would expect from Beaujolais Noveau, but WHO CARES! I have a feeling the lovely selection they have now might be something to do with BN orders or something.
Of the ones I’ve tried so far, I’d avoid the Medoc. It’s a bit disappointing, unless you’re a fan of the big “fruit bomb” types of wine.
The Cotes de Languedoc is very good, as is the Faugeres Grand Reserve – there are two but I only tried this one. There’s a very reasonalbe Cotes du Rhone, also. But far and away the best of the bunch I’ve tried so far is the Bourgogne, which for the price is a stunningly good pinot noir. All these ones are good enough that I’m finally going to seed a small cellar with them. They’ll be good for a few years at least, I think.

I did a Beaujolais Nouveau tasting the other day. We had 6 different marques. I was less than impressed - which is normal for me and BN.
IMO, the most drinkable was the Louis Jardot and the Georges DuBoef.(sp?)
I’m still sticking with the Chilean Cabernet.

RT market is the place to go right now for inexpensive French wine. I walked into the Neihu store for a completely different reason on Friday and ended up buying 20 bottles. I won’t tell you which my favourites are though.