Winning a war

Forgive me for skipping ahead to the money shot, but I hate these interminable pick-apart-quote posts.

[quote=“gao_bo_han”]You are right that most of these movements are at present regional. But just for kicks let’s run a little thought experiment. Assume they all succeed (and let’s put aside the Sunni-Shi’a divide for now). Assume that these regional Sharia movements - Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, GSPC in Algeria, JI in Southeast Asia, etc., all succeed. What next? Are they just going to call it quits?

If Islamic history is any guide, then some kind of caliphate will eventually be forged. It is needless to say a massive Islamist superstate stretching from Morocco to the Phillipines is not we unbelievers’ best interest. Agreed?[/quote]
Disagree. Ask fred what he thinks of French and Spanish Catholics getting together way back when. Even assuming that I agreed with all this clash of civilization stuff, which I don’t, would I agree? Would the author of the “clash of civilizations” thesis agree?

[quote=“Samuel Huntington in NPQ”] NPQ | Do you think that the “Islamic civilization” will become increasingly coherent in the future?

Huntington | Certainly we’ve seen movements in that direction. Certainly there are various trans-Islamic political movements, which try to appeal to Muslims in all societies. But I am doubtful that there will be any sort of real coherence of Muslim societies as a single political system run by an elected or non-elected group of leaders.

But I think we can expect leaders of Muslim societies to cooperate with each other on many issues, just as Western societies cooperate with each other. I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of Muslim, or at least Arab, countries developing some form of organization comparable to the European Union. I don’t think that’s very likely, but it conceivably could happen.[/quote]

Now, I made the same argument for an Arab equivalent of the EU back in grad school, but was convinced otherwise. To my way of thinking, with shared goals, a shared religion, all that oil money, and a model, they ought to have been off to a good start. Not so. As I’ve argued here, their goals are local, diverse, and too often conflicting. The minority sect has made it obvious that shared religion or not, there’s plenty enough difference to kill and die over. Oil money is toxic to governance and capital development; it’s just too easy to stick a pipe in the ground and have money flow into the government’s coffers. An organization like the EU depends, vitally, on tight, binding networks of capital. Oil wealth doesn’t just not create those, it actually corrodes them. Even if the EU provided a transferable model–and arguably, it does not–the Arab societies (to say nothing of the Muslim societies) are far too diverse, divided, socially and politically weak to make it happen.

It isn’t. Nationalism’s taken root. Muslim brotherhood inspires and motivates, but hasn’t proven to amount to much when the chips are down.

My statement was part of a hypothetical that assumes individual Sharia states do come into existence. For your statement to be comparable, we would have to likewise assume multiple Christian theocracies coming into existence - a reality in the late 8th century before Charlemagne was crowned.

But I wouldn’t bother with that kind of thought experiment unless there were violent Christian uprisings all over the world fighting to bring down secular governments and install Christian theocracies. We don’t see that.

All good points. The restoration of any semblance of a caliphate is a long, long way off in any part of the Muslim world.

Just trying to address all your points…

The stuff from Huntington is duly noted. Syncs up with Lewis’ assessment as well. See my last statement to MikeN above.

You precious little thing. Callicles no less? haha And I was just about ready to play dead when we had to listen to you quoting Kafka. You would have taken an awful beating at any prep school I can tell you that. Good thing you picked up your knowledge among the masses then? haha[/quote]
Ah, Bliss.
Like Promethius, have I been bound to this rock;
Shackled, dangling in the sky,
Punished for no more than the slanderous charge of elitism.
But lo, unexpectedly I am free!
A great, thunderous fart has broken my shackles,
and cast me down,
down,
hoping, no doubt, to dash my spirit, my intellect upon the rocks below,
knowing not, that I am now free!
Free, and once again, amongst the seething masses from which I came.
Good things do, it seems, [url=Do good things just fall out of the sky? fall out of the sky![/url]

Toodles, fred. And thanks.
In honor of your service, I shall delight in cooking up bad literary references and worse poetry till the Vogons come home.
Oh yes! I shall, “Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon,
See if I don’t!”

[quote=“gao_bo_han”]Just trying to address all your points… [/quote] I know; fair enough. But I find that such arguments quickly become ugly and tiresome. It’s an aesthetic judgment more than anything else.

Jaboney, MikeN,

Let me throw something else at you. Since we all agree that these Islamists movements are going to impose an immoral form of government, do we then have a moral obligation to resist them? I mean even if we agree for the sake of argument there is no chance in hell any kind of caliphate that could threaten us is ever going to return to existence, are we nevertheless ethically compelled to fight Islamists for the sake of the people who would suffer under their rule?

And to make it even more interesting, are we morally obligated to prevent the rise of Sharia states even when a majority of their population supports it?

[quote]Ah, Bliss.
Like Promethius, have I been bound to this rock;
Shackled, dangling in the sky,
Punished for no more than the slanderous charge of elitism.
But lo, unexpectedly I am free!
A great, thunderous fart has broken my shackles,
and cast me down,
down,
hoping, no doubt, to dash my spirit, my intellect upon the rocks below,
knowing not, that I am now free!
Free, and once again, amongst the seething masses from which I came.
Good things do, it seems, just fall out of the sky!

Toodles, fred. And thanks.
In honor of your service, I shall delight in cooking up bad literary references and worse poetry till the Vogons come home.
Oh yes! I shall,
“Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon,
See if I don’t!” [/quote]

Well, if I can ENDURE MFGR and all his faux back-slapping populism, I guess I can make a greater effort to understand your faux elitist classicist posturing. Don’t disappoint me now…

[quote=“gao_bo_han”]Let me throw something else at you. Since we all agree that these Islamists movements are going to impose an immoral form of government, do we then have a moral obligation to resist them?[/quote]Is it a question of morality? Uncompromising “moral clarity” is, in large part, responsible for the current mess.

Are we ethically compelled to fight military dictatorships for the sake of the people who do suffer under their rule? To fight Chinese pseudo-Communists? How about town councils who declare “dry counties”, lock up the booze, and pass laws against public lewdness, thereby banning strip bars? I’d suffer!

It’s a serious question, but I don’t have a serious answer for you, other than, “It depends.” And the decision would not come down to morality in the end; not for me.

[quote=“gao_bo_han”]And to make it even more interesting, are we morally obligated to prevent the rise of Sharia states even when a majority of their population supports it?[/quote]That’s one way of asking it. Another is, “are we morally obligated to respect the democratic wishes of other states?” I’ve posed similar questions here before, and referenced Rawl’s Law of Peoples. His list of rules are:

[quote]1. “People (as organized by their government) are free and independent, and their freedom and independence is to be respected by other peoples.”
2. “Peoples are equal and parties to their own agreements.”
3. “Peoples have the right of self-defense but no right to war.”
4. “Peoples are to observe a duty of non-intervention.”
5. “Peoples are to observe treaties and undertakings.”
6. “Peoples are to observe certain specified restrictions on the conduct of war (assumed to be in self-defense).”
7. “Peoples are to honor human rights.”
8. “Peoples have a duty to assist other peoples living under unfavorable conditions that prevent their having a just or decent political and social regime.”[/quote]I suppose we’d have to strike a balance between points 1, 3, 4, and 8. (7 being subsumed under 8 in this case.) I prefer your wording, “prevent the rise of”, to “declare war”, but would like to know see the details of the plan before I sign up. IMHO, the best way to discredit these guys is to run fair and free elections, respect their right to govern if they win, ensure that more free and fair elections follow at the appropriate time, and watch the people kick their asses to the corner after a term or two. That requires a great deal of work on elections, monitoring, and governance, but it’s a hell of a lot cheaper and more effective than war.

Long dead schizophrenics then. Right. Pass the bottle. We’ll read the back cover of “Aqua Lung” again and marvel at the strength of the human imagination.

Was Mohammad schizophrenic?

No–epileptic.

Remember stories of Amrozi bin Nurhasyim, that smiling, clowning bastard convicted in the Bali bombing? Wasn’t there a row over grinning police posing with him?

Same thing’s happened in secular Turkey, with nationalistic police getting cozy with the guy arrested for killing Hrant Dink.

Secular state, a bulwark against political Islam, and inspiration for extremism of a similar sort.

[quote=“BBC”][b]A probe has begun in Turkey after a man charged with killing a Turkish Armenian journalist appeared in a video posing with police and the national flag.

Footage showed Ogun Samast, 17, in front of one flag and holding another while uniformed police posed with him.[/b]

The images caused shock in Turkey, with one newspaper suggesting the teenager was treated like a hero.

He is accused of killing Hrant Dink, who was shot dead outside his newspaper offices in Istanbul on 19 January.

Mr Dink was well-known for writing controversial articles about the mass killing of Armenians by Turks during World War I. He had been the target of multiple death threats from Turkish nationalists.

His murder triggered anger and shock across Turkey.

‘Shoulder to shoulder’

Several Turkish television stations showed the footage, said to have been filmed shortly after Mr Samast was captured.

The teenager is pictured flanked by security officials, while a voice is heard telling him to tidy his hair.

In the background, a poster shows a quote from Turkish founder Mustafa Kemal Ataturk: “The nation’s land is sacred. It cannot be left to fate.” [/quote]

At least the Turkish government is pro-active in routing out Islamism. Long live Ataturk!

And Armenians. And Kurds.

Touche!

Mei guanxi le ba, cong hyatt regency lai de ba, wo tai tai host le grande paidui, you haoduo vino avec le seared duck liveer est le black truffle jus, avec le crispy pancetta et mascarpone cream et la rasberry compotee, meige ren hao hen hao de kaixing, suoyi wo xiang zhe yang ze yang zi hai xiang nei yang zi un rodent avec wo pengyou kuaii si le, ni meiguanxi8 le ba, dui bu dui?

Ni haoxiang he zui le ba? :wink:

Women yingai zai goodveiw view fangdian pengmian, dui bu dui?

Wo conglai meiyou qu guo “goodview” fangdian. Hai you ne…wo zhu zai meiguo.

Hao ah! Zai wansheng de, zai wuxian youyingchi wansheng, meiyou ren. Zhi you yige waiguo ren. Zhongguo ren xiang waiguo ren hao qigua1! Zai shi er dian hai yao you yong. Waiguo ren juede yougyoungchi neme da! He cognac. Fengqicong, hen hao. Dui? bu dui?

Zai meiguo zhu! ni neme ban oh! :bouncy: