Winter depression and fatigue

I am hoping to make this a joint venture with help from all of you who have found ways to cope.
Today my classroom was almost empty. I know exactly why. Half of my classmates looked like they had been dragged in under a bus. This weather is ass. (Brilliantly Eloquent, aren’t I) I have Seasonal Affective Disorder. So I have spent quite a few years under a doctor’s care (uaully acupuncturist and herbalists because I hate drugs) and studying ways to survive winter. Somehow here seems worse. Maybe it is because mom is 6000 miles away. But most likely it is because of the moody weather.
I am, as most of my friends are, exhausted.
Unfortunately with exhaustion comes depression, grumpiness, and short tempers. So blah. We don’t want that. :raspberry:

I am going to share what I have learned and what helps me. But I know that what works for one does not work for all. (don’t we all wish) so I am hoping to see other posters add to this.

The obvious, of course, are nutrition and exercise. Making sure you get enough sleep. (cat napping in my case)
Being that it sucks outside many of us avoid being outside. Which means we avoid seeing the sun. Which means we don’t produce serotonin. Sooo. Make sure to take every opportunity you can to see the sun. (even though I have forgotten what he looks like) Spend time near windows if you can. Take outdoor walks during your breaktime (even though it sucks out there. Sun is needed for proper brain function.)
When considering nutrition, You should remember that the cravings you are having are a sign of something missing. But you should manage these with supplements and healthy foods that fit the craving. If you are craving sugar, eat fruit. If you are craving carbs, try to eat something whole grain and not overly processed.
While cravings this time of year are typically for high fat, starchy foods and sugar you should bear in mind that these foods will actually make you MORE tired.
Eat when you are hungry, but eat smart. Many people see the increased need for food during the winter as a thing to avoid. But not eating when you are hungry will actually cause you to be more likely to eat bad foods that will, in turn, make you feel worse. When you are hungry eat. Even if it is not meal time. Snacking is good for you if you snack on healthy foods. Fruit is, of course, the best choice for everything. But be careful of too much citrus as it can cause canker sores. (as my mouth will tell you).
Increase your B vitamins. Bananas and avocados are both very good sources of B vitamins. It is always healthier to eat your vitamins than take supplements, but if you aren’t going to eat it, get a B supplement. B is VERY IMPORTANT in beating winter blues.
Also, dairy foods help with serotonin production. But try to avoid fatty dairy. Because the wrong kinds of fat can cause more fatigue.
Be careful with caffeine. I love coffee as much as the next person, but using coffee as a pick me up has a rebound effect though and will actually make
you more tired in the end.
Avoid foods that will cause constipation. Recent studies have shown that constipation can actually cause severe depression (in women). And the lack of exercise in winter months increases the instance of constipation.
Drink lots of water. Dehydration can make you feel like poooooooooo. (there is my eloquence again).
If you start having problems, I suggest seeing a Chinese doc. Acupuncture, herbology, reflexology, and all that jazz has REALLY made a difference for me.
Light boxes are damned near impossible to find here. But using time appropriate lighting helps. During the day try to keep your area bright. As night gets closer, start lessening the lights. Uncover your windows to let the light in. Take as many walks as you can (did I already say that?)
And naps. Naps are my friend.

Get Sun. Sleep lots. If no sun, get citrus. Work out. Sweat. Knock back a few and talk about life. Don’t dwell. Chase that Sunbeam. Listen to good, powerful music at top volume. Play an instrument. And for the love of Joshua Christos: literature of all sorts. An last but not least: rich, well made Chocolate. And some Marzipan. Mighty Mezz also helps.

That’s wot works for me anyway. :slight_smile:

Get heat in the damn house!

One of the things that always used to kill me about Taiwan winters was coming in from the cold to a cold, wet house. The last couple of winters I’ve heated the entire house and it’s really made a difference, plus it’s less draining to go outside knowing you have a warm cozy home to return to.

Tonight would be a perfect example…

GingerMan. I am going to have to disagree with you about knocking a fwe back. We are talking about depression and fatigue. Both of which alchohol is bad for. (Being that it is a depressant)

MJB. Yes. Oh Yes. And it is SO hard to get up in the morning knowing how cold the house will be.

I’ve just found another good reason for my breakfast system. At least a cup of grapes, 1 grapefruit, 1 banana, 1 apple mixed with muesli and soy milk dumped on the top.

The soy and muesli probably smooth out the citrus.

That sounds like a yummy breakfast. Too much for me, though. I am like 1/3rd your size :smiley:
All those fruits, though. You must feel weightless until lunch.

[quote=“SuchAFob”]That sounds like a yummy breakfast. Too much for me, though. I am like 1/3rd your size :smiley:
All those fruits, though. You must feel weightless until lunch.[/quote]

I don’t get hungry mid morning and energy levels are good so it must work. The fats in the soy probably help slow digestion. Not exactly balanced in carb, fat and protein but I really enjoy it.

Going hiking tomorrow on a long march. Should burn some 2,000 calories plus. Combine the cold and its probably more like 2,700

This somehow all relates to winter and coping.

I get out of bed looking forward to a good breakfast and exercising each day in the cold is fun anyway. Once you are outside and wearing warm gear you have winter beaten. The hot shower on return helps of course.

SAF, thanks for the initiative.

It’s very helpful to have all these tips in one place and to see you’re not the only one in this city who feels under the weather.

My contribution to the list:

Laughter and being around friends

I’ve just found another good reason for my breakfast system. At least a cup of grapes, 1 grapefruit, 1 banana, 1 apple mixed with muesli and soy milk dumped on the top.

The soy and muesli probably smooth out the citrus.[/quote]

He forgot to mention that the Ironman has breakfast outside on his balcony under a 48,000BTU Propane heater, which burns head hair he can ill-afford to lose :smiling_imp:

I’ve heard going to those tanning salon places can help SADS. Don’t know if it’d help you though. Suppose it wouldn’t hurt to try :slight_smile:

I purchased the 48,000BTU job to try and beat Taiwan winter this year with a view to exactly the heading of this thread. Winter depression and feeling stuck inside.

I use half heat on that head burner now and the kero heater 10,000btu at foot level. It is working very well, thanks and I get to have breakfast outside in winter and I have some hair left that just gets very warm on top.

Man. That MUST be nice.
:smiley:

I purchased the 48,000BTU job to try and beat Taiwan winter this year with a view to exactly the heading of this thread. Winter depression and feeling stuck inside.

I use half heat on that head burner now and the kero heater 10,000btu at foot level. It is working very well, thanks and I get to have breakfast outside in winter and I have some hair left that just gets very warm on top.[/quote]

Is that one of those things that looks like a huge aluminum umbrella?

I use half heat on that head burner now and the kero heater 10,000btu at foot level. It is working very well, thanks and I get to have breakfast outside in winter and I have some hair left that just gets very warm on top.[/quote]

Is that one of those things that looks like a huge aluminum umbrella?[/quote]

Thats it. Carnegie’s has them out the front balcony. Costco for about $8,000nt

Thats it. Carnegie’s has them out the front balcony. Costco for about $8,000nt[/quote]

I was just at B&Q and walked under one and thought “Flock me! what’s that?”

Can you burn them babies indoors? :smiling_imp:

Thats it. Carnegie’s has them out the front balcony. Costco for about $8,000nt[/quote]

Can you burn them babies indoors? :smiling_imp:[/quote]

I asked the same thing a couple of years ago…Was that desperate. A most definite no.

Basking in Propane warmth at 22C currently…Knowing I have a place to escape the cold really helps. Outside my window it’s a balmy 6C and was down to 4C this morning, 5 at noon. Yuck.

Can you burn them babies indoors? :smiling_imp:[/quote]

I asked the same thing a couple of years ago…Was that desperate. A most definite no.

Basking in Propane warmth at 22C currently…Knowing I have a place to escape the cold really helps. Outside my window it’s a balmy 6C and was down to 4C this morning, 5 at noon. Yuck.[/quote]

So, can you come here and hug me? I’m cold.