🥇 Olympics - Winter Olympics Beijing 2022

Not very often you get to see intense curling like this on TV

2 Likes

Really enjoying the end parts of them Winter Olympics curling, biathlons hockey, cross country skiing, and ice skating.

I’ve only half-watched a handful of events and tuned out all together a week ago. It’s not just the fact it’s in China (although that certainly is an additional turn-off), but just in general I find the Winter Olympics a lot more boring than the Summer games.

3 of the highest scores in history within a few minutes on this round of pair ice skate short program.

A college roommate was a curler, and watching curling with him was so much fun! One of those periodic reminders that, in rare situations (when the Toronto Blue Jays were good in 1992 or so), I can actually get into sports.

And I do remember scaring office staff in my Korean cram school when I jumped up and down and shouted about some goal that a Canadian scored. 1998 Olympics I guess?

This year it’s mainly “Wait, wasn’t Russia banned because of doping? And they’re doping again? But that person is still competing? And she’s a 15-year-old?” All kinds of messed up.

1 Like

I think the last Winter Games I really got into were the Salt Lake games in 2002; maybe because it was some escapism from all the post-9/11 peak ‘war on terror’ stuff happening at the time (perhaps that’s the same reason I enjoyed the Tokyo games last summer as it was also a break from the depressing reality of the pandemic). The 2018 Winter Olympics in Korea were also fun. But usually I tune out maybe due to the inherent lack of variety in Winter sports compared to Summer sports.

(Btw, I did not know you also used to teach in Korea. I was in Seoul (2007-2014). Where were you?)

1 Like

Daejon (then Taejon), 1997-1998, just a short time, even if it didn’t feel like it then - 15 months - but the big crash was midway through my time there, so an eventful time!

Re: sports: basically my whole life I’ve had zero interest in watching sports on my own, but if I’m with the right company, I’ll get into it. Watching that hockey by myself (along with some very confused office staff) in 1998 was very unusual for me.

1 Like

The couples ice skating tonight was phenomenally beautiful and inspirational. Catch it later if you can.

Sweden men gold in curling.

1 Like