Wireless question

Someone might be sending me some type of new video camera that transmits directly to the web.

But he asked me “Can you please find out what wireless modem we would need to get you that would work well in Taiwan??? What I am talking about is a wireless MODEM… not a wifi card. I need to know what types of modems people use there. You see, we will need to plug it into your computer and allow you to travel about freely. It’s basically like a cell phone but for computers. I just need to know what frequency they are using where you are.”

I don’t know ANYTHING about wireless or any of this stuff. So if someone could tell me…what to tell him…I’d appreciate it.

my guess is it is either an IP video camera, running 802.11 meaning you need to partner it with a wireless router…or a handycam type portable which has bluetooth.

As far as wireless routers go, 802.11 g is about the minimum these days. I think there is something better out there now. You’d need to look at how far away the camera would be situated from the router to see if you need to new protocol, but my guess is G would be OK. 1000-2000nt for a router.

[quote=“Truant”]my guess is it is either an IP video camera, running 802.11 meaning you need to partner it with a wireless router…or a handycam type portable which has bluetooth.

As far as wireless routers go, 802.11 g is about the minimum these days. I think there is something better out there now. You’d need to look at how far away the camera would be situated from the router to see if you need to new protocol, but my guess is G would be OK. 1000-2000nt for a router.[/quote]

I was just talking about you with someone…any chance of you lending me “Long way round”?

[quote=“Truant”]my guess is it is either an IP video camera, running 802.11 meaning you need to partner it with a wireless router…or a handycam type portable which has bluetooth.

As far as wireless routers go, 802.11 g is about the minimum these days. I think there is something better out there now. You’d need to look at how far away the camera would be situated from the router to see if you need to new protocol, but my guess is G would be OK. 1000-2000nt for a router.[/quote]

I don’t understand any of this…but I showed the guy your above message and this is the response I got:

"What I am talking about is a wireless MODEM… not a wifi card. I need to know what types of modems people use there. You see, we will need to plug it into your computer and allow you to travel about freely. It’s basically like a cell phone but for computers. I just need to know what frequency they are using where you are. "

Ask him if the following helps: Cellular systems in Taiwan are GSM900 / GSM1800 (with GPRS), 3G and PHS.

You would typically use a PCMCIA card similar to this for data connections from your laptop though they are not that common I think and maybe difficult to find (and probably expensive).
However it’s pretty irrelevant what modem / frequency you use as long as it allows you to connect to the web, from where you can see the pictures of the camera (just as you could use e.g. Wifi to connect and see web content).

Ask him if the following helps: Cellular systems in Taiwan are GSM900 / GSM1800 (with GPRS), 3G and PHS.

You would typically use a PCMCIA card similar to this for data connections from your laptop though they are not that common I think and maybe difficult to find (and probably expensive).
However it’s pretty irrelevant what modem / frequency you use as long as it allows you to connect to the web, from where you can see the pictures of the camera (just as you could use e.g. Wifi to connect and see web content).[/quote]

Ahhh, yes. THOSE. Geez, who’s going to be paying the bills on those calls?

However it’s pretty irrelevant what modem / frequency you use as long as it allows you to connect to the web, from where you can see the pictures of the camera (just as you could use e.g. Wifi to connect and see web content).[/quote]

Ahhh, yes. THOSE. Geez, who’s going to be paying the bills on those calls?[/quote]

Hmm I think most companies have a data plan with unlimited data for a set price. If you are using a cellphone to access the internet to broadcast video it would be best to get some sort of unlimited data plan if possible or yes it will be very very expensive.

If you are not talking about broadcasting video over internet cellphone then you are talking about wireless internet in the home or office. The modem and your wireless router should be seperate things unless you have a modem/router combo. Basically your internet needs to come through a line from the company to a modem in your home/office. If you want to use this internet on multiple devices such as 2 computers or a nintendo DS with wireless or whatever you need to have a router to route the internet to these devices. If you have a stand alone wireless device such as a wireless camera you need a router for this. Wireless has a wireless standered which is 802.11 and right now it is split into A/B/G bands. The highest speed is enhanced 802.11G which is I believe 102mbps right now. Regular 802.11g is 52mbps. 802.11a is also 52mbps but it has a lower range then G. Wireless 802.11b is the lowest speed at 11mbps but still used in many places since it was the first developed.

If you are looking at Modem connections a modem should be able to connect either to Ethernet CAT6 cable or USB. If they are sending you a modem you need to see if you are using ADSL or Cable internet.

I’m still a little confused about the question so I provide you with all this info. If you can find out if you need a Router or a Modem or whatever please let me know. I used to sell and setup home wireless systems from my friends and family because I had a friend selling wireless components for a bit. I’m ok with hardware issues but im crap with software and firewall stuff. I just setup the windowsxp firewall deal or any built in firewall on the router/modem and show the user how to allow connections and such.

Mordeth, how/where is the camera used - is it stationary or mobile? How does the camera connect to the internet?

And how/where do you want use the PC with the modem? Does “allow you to travel about freely” mean you are going to use a laptop on your bike, or will using the net from a cafe be sufficient?

I’m pretty sure Rascal got it right with his PCMCIA card.

They’re talking about GPRS. I had that service last year in the US through T-Mobile. It was indeed a PCMCIA card. It wasn’t bad, but since I got a Treo now I use the Web feature on the Treo and can either view the Web on the Treo or tether my PC to it (T-Mobile doesn’t charge separately for tethering, unlike the other cellphone providers in the US). The data plan is unlimited monthly and I think it’s like $30 a month (but the US is high for these things admittedly).

In similar queries, is there any such service I can get in Taiwan short-term (say, 1 month)? I’d like Internet I can take around the island with me; usage would be quite low if that makes a difference.

[quote=“ironlady”]They’re talking about GPRS. I had that service last year in the US through T-Mobile. It was indeed a PCMCIA card. It wasn’t bad, but since I got a Treo now I use the Web feature on the Treo and can either view the Web on the Treo or tether my PC to it (T-Mobile doesn’t charge separately for tethering, unlike the other cellphone providers in the US). The data plan is unlimited monthly and I think it’s like $30 a month (but the US is high for these things admittedly).

In similar queries, is there any such service I can get in Taiwan short-term (say, 1 month)? I’d like Internet I can take around the island with me; usage would be quite low if that makes a difference.[/quote]

I found that Taiwan doesn’t offer any plan cellular service without a long contract. I don’t think you can get a pay as you go type service for data. If so, I wanna know about it!

Do you connect your Treo to laptop via USB?

Oh yeah and I think the network for data here is WCDMA or some varient? It might also depend on your provider here.

If you’re talking about a wireless modem for your PC, you have 2 solutions:

1. As mentioned earlier, a PCMCIA (or expresscard equivalent) wireless modem card that works with one of the cell phone providers in Taiwan. They are based on (or should be) 3G network and hopefully will become 3.5G in the near future. This is the most easy and effective solution for wireless access virtually “anywhere” in Taiwan. Note: You will not get broadband speeds when you leave major urban areas and will drop to about 56k modem speeds.

2. Same concept as #1 but using a 3G mobile phone to act as a modem for your notebook. I personally use a Sony Ericsson K800i and a O2 Atom Life as wireless modems. I connect to them either via bluetooth or a USB cable and use their 3G internet to access to web from anywhere. Works not bad in cities. Upside is you don’t need that extra PCMCIA card and you get a phone. Downside is that you will run out of batteries on your phone very fast unless you plug it into your computer and not use bluetooth. Plus, it’s not as convenient as a straight PCMCIA card.

If they’re going to pay for it, just have them buy you a PCMCIA/expresscard. An example is:

business.taiwanmobile.com/servle … ntentPageT