Within The Greater China Region, which city for long-term?

Which city, if you had to choose one, would you live in for the next 8-9 years? Pretend that you are a professional on an expat package.

• Hong Kong
  • Shanghai
  • Qingdao
  • Beijing
  • Dalian
  • Taipei
  • Taichung
  • Kaohsiung
  • Singapore
  • Macau
  • Xiamen
  • Hangzhou or Fuzhou

0 voters

Within the Greater China Region ONLY, which of the following living destinations gets your vote? Pretend that you are a generic working professional on an expat package. You have to stay there for 8-9 years.

I didn’t know Singapore was a part of Greater China!

It is geographically far from China, but its language is Mandarin and its economy is 100% tied up with HK, China and TW and it is often referred to as such in the HK media.

Why isn’t Vancouver on this poll list? :slight_smile:

I object to the “greater China” label being applied to Taiwan. I don’t care what the Hong Kong media says.

And yes, I realize that Taiwan’s culture and language originate from China, but you wouldn’t call the USA a part of “Greater Britain” would you?

Redmenace, chill. the term is used far more widely than just HK newspapers.

HG

There we go again, the knee jerk TI angle to everything, which belongs in the taiwan politics forum.

The term “greater china” as used by the media GLOBALLY refers to mainland, HK, macau, and taiwan.

That is not correct. It’s far from being 100% tied. What about Singaporean economy’s link with Malaysia and the other ASEAN countries? Singapore itself is a member of ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) which has implemented various intra-member polices somewhat similar to EU. Saying singapore is part of greater china is highly contraversial at best, if not just plain wrong.

I voted for the place with the most freedom and the least restriction of human rights. Why would anyone want to live in a totalitarian state? :loco:

Well the global media should think about what they are implying. The term “Chinese” would be better, as Chinese is an ethnic group and not a nation as China is.

I do not live in China, greater or smaller, and I pray I never will be forced to.

The global media needs to choose their wording more carefully.

Sorry to hijack the thread, and I realize this argument will go nowhere.

Ooh, I noticed that Taipei and Hong Kong are tied exactly! That sums up my life: I can’t decide between Taipei and HK!!! I love them both the same but for different reasons. It’s like trying to decide between 2 lovers.

Instead of The Greater China Region Why don’t we call it:

PWOTPCH

pwotpch…it has a nice ring to it. Places Where Over Thirty Percent Of The Population Is Chinese…like Taipei, for example!!!

PWOTPCH.

My point is that every term that anyone has ever come up with is problematic, but the term is currently serving a very useful purpose, and that is why it is popular. It describes these PWOTPCH places, and they do need a name.

I don’t think that Vancouver is PWOTPCH yet. Lots of other Asians there, especially Koreans and Japanese.

I have never been to Dalian, but I have heard very good reports about it, so I voted for it.

Sorry Kick-Stand, I just tipped the scale in Taipei’s favour.

Juba that’s bizzarre, I mean why? You’ve never been there. :loco:

HG