Witness.org ... interesting website on human rights

I recentely downloaded Joost TV and came on witness.org through one of their featured channels … than ended up watching the video ‘Books not Bars’ … a short video about the juvenile prison system in the US …

According to this documentary the US prison system is a huge industry … which the US governement prefers to finance over the education system … booksnotbars.org

Watch the video ‘books not bars’

Belgian Pie -

Can you actually support this or is this just a personal opinion?

Are you aware of how much money the Departments of Education spend on students in the various school districts around the USA?

Do you know the determining factors for the per student $ amount in each district?

Also, I think it might be wise to remember that you are comparing 2 different systems here …

These are two separate entities. While they might serve the same demographic, there is a very separate mandate for each one.

Just asking.

Watch the documentary and take a look at the website … that’s what I did …
Subsidies in penal system goes up and for education goes down … need we say more …

Good Sunday Morning to Ya BP -

I’ll take a look at it.
As the need for something increases so do the costs for providing that service. Imagine the “outrage” if these costs for providing rehab or housing costs for “juvenile” offenders was not allowed to meet the needs which exist.

As for the “decreasing” funding for education…I seriously question that being a reality.

I’ll take a look. I just remain highly skeptical of “documentaries” such as these.
They are made for a target audience rather than factual presentation of all the related issues.

The question is, why does the need increase? Because something is going wrong … not enough funding for good quality public eductaion would be a good guess …

Maybe the industrial establishment doean’t care about that because they can make money and create jobs in the penal system … for them money is money, they don’t care where it comes from and the governement is happy with the ‘job creation’ …

Sure, anyone can use statistics in the way they prefer … but if there were nothing wrong there would be no need to make a video documentary …