Woman and lover caught - must pay her husband NT$500,000 and go to Jail

This one the woman chased her husband by breaking into hotel room, this allowed in the West breaking into the hotel room (husband needs pay out a lot!)

It’s not having to pay fines so much as the going to jail part. Going to jail for adultery!? Is there any other nation on Earth that has more cruel laws…? Aside from insane middle eastern countries?

The Apple Daily story is particularly base and reminds me of the behavior one would expect from insects. Or, at least, the literary style seems extracted from the husks of dessicated bumblebee pupae…

I think these “faithfulness laws” illustrate the essence of patriarchal fascism that underpins part of the Chinese psyche and has held fast since time immemorial. Since before Confucianism perhaps…?

This thing reminds me – I remember – long long ago, around 1995 or 6, one of my Taipei girlfriends became so tearful when we discussed our mutual infidelities. …After having confessed that I’d slept with another girl only the day before, within 24 hours she promptly upped the ante by bedding a new guy and came over to my place afterwards the same day, saving her confession for our post-coital conversation. Then of course she broke down and wept uncontrollably. At that moment, she felt absolutely compelled to choose between us… Actually, I sobbed uncontrollably, too – her mood was quite catching, like a virulent sort of virus… The scene was like some South American TV soap opera. …Anyway, I suppose the upside of the experience was that girl Yawei helped me release a lot of pent up feeling. The Taiwanese are capable of extraordinary passions at times…

2 Likes

Its not a criminal offence anymore.

2 Likes

Please note the date of the thread, adultery is only civil now, no longer criminal.

Right, but the joke part is that it is still an offense at all! I remember during all my time in Taiwan, 20 years, these same types of newspaper stories and seeing all the many detective agencies that advertised everywhere to ferret out spousal infidelities…

Meantime, all the normal forward-looking young souls whom I met, these women were just trying to live freely. But for others, it was just very hard for them to break free from the awful stigmas arising from all their dummy anti-social codes…

To be quite frank, the continued persistence of these laws – civil, criminal, whatever – only proves that Taiwan remains stuck in a nightmare dark age of oppressive legal bullshit. For example, I won’t ever forget how they reclassified marijuana from a class 3 to a class 2 “narcotic” during the noughties even as the rest of the world was going the other way and loosening up a whole lot.

With regards to sexual freedom, for decades and decades, the real world of intelligent, cosmopolitan Taiwanese society has been enjoying more liberal fruits and pleasures…

So, at least some good things never change, too… The young, hot Taiwanese surfer girls still go out to the beaches looking for foreign studs just like they used to back in my day… Don’t they? Sure they do…!

I wonder how long it will take for these arcane and archaic laws to be stricken forever from the books?

1 Like

Adultery is not without consequence in the West as well, aside from possibility of jealous husbands killing you with a shotgun… divorce settlements, child support, etc. and all that.

Honestly though I don’t like the institution of marriage. It makes dating and romance a zero sum game and it really does not need to be.

There are some societies where women/men are free to have sex with others even if they are “married” provided certain precaution is taken, and that child rearing in those societies are a community affair, means the community must raise children collectively. It really should considering that children are our future and so the society as a whole has vested interest in the success of their children.

I’m not sure the west is going the other way considering they undid roe vs. wade and now states are scrambling to make laws so that women could never be sexually free or made abortion so difficult that even if the life of the women is in danger should she continue to carry the child, she would not be able to get an abortion.

2 Likes

That is Hawaiian kinship system

Every adult male are “father”, every adult female are “mother”, with all others in same generation as “brother” and “sister”.

Others are Eskimo,

This is typical Western society.

Iroquis

Crow

Omaha

Sudanese (Chinese is here)

1 Like

I just think we should have a new kinship system that is consistent with 21st century realities, instead of being bound to some bronze age system just because that’s what tradition demands…

1 Like

I just see a bunch of white triangles on a black background.

1 Like

Yes

Why though? Marriage is pointless if there are no consequences to adultery. You entered a contract with the person with the (almost) universal purpose of it being you are not going to have sex with a 3rd party. Don’t enter the contract or nullify it first if you don’t want to be a part of it.

There are always consequences. The children learn that the cheater is a lousy piece of shit. And the seducer is a sleazy low-life loser.

Calling @gain, we’ve got a toxic foreign masculinity spill in aisle 1.

Request immediate clean up!

So which beaches would those be exactly?

Asking for a friend…

Or . . . you could become friends with @MalcolmReynolds to find out!

Guy

1 Like

Well, I agree, a contract implies defined responsibilities… But the laws in Taiwan encourage predatory behavior or calculated mischief. I state this simply because of the countless examples of women or men going after each other’s throats for big money.

Yes, individuals ought to be responsible to one another in any contract between them. But by no means should the state impose onerous punishments as if it has a divine right to judge contractual transgressions!

The courts should do the opposite, they should mitigate enmity and minimize or nullify all but essential monetary reparations, as for example the payment of child support…

No fine merely for the act of unfaithfulness should ever be imposed by any court of law upon the guilty party. That is gratuitous and unnecessary… The court can and should do no more than to help couples share property in cases of the break up of long-term relationships…

1 Like

Yes, but hasn’t that been addressed when adultery was decriminalized?

People swim at Fulung nowadays. In 1995 and 1996 till '98 or so, Fulung was a public garbage dump heaped up with plastic and old refrigerators… They finally cleared it up nicely.

South of Fulung there is a popular little beach, Waiao, not very scenic… But there is a surf shop there… And that’s where I saw the sexy surfer teen girls looking for big foreigners, lol… I was only a swimmer…

There are a couple little beaches north of Taitung, too. One very close and cute, and another further north, Douli beach, which has some facilities… But rocks, too.

South of Hualein about 23 or 26 clicks you will find a nice black sand & pebble beach with nobody there; it’s down a winding trail from the highway quite some way… Great for camping out if you bring food… Dangerous riptide, however, but unspoiled as I recall… They used to gather gorgeous polished white stones there years ago to resell, I wonder if there are any left…

換膚海岸

Finally, go all the way to the south end of the island… On the quiet east coast side, Yucun park area and vicinity… For nice beaches… Used to be surfers there, too…

1 Like

I am sorry but no. Read this story… The same one as posted above, the court is ordering payments, there are alleged agreements to pay.
It is dated this month, so I think the predatory and calculated grabbing behavior is still going strong. Encouraged by the weird courts… Not like an everyday full-on divorce, is it? This is simply infidelity…

https://www.appledaily.com.tw/local/2022080/EAF175D07327E2D257657838AA

It’s all in civil court, and people are fined for breaking their contract.

The problem before decriminalization was that the one who’s cheating often gets away scot-free, leaving the often lied to third party forced to pay or serve jail time.

In this story the husband was also responsible for breaking his contract, and paid a bigger fine. I guess you could argue the third party shouldn’t be fined. Although if the third party is aware the person they are seeing is already married, then I think a fine wouldn’t be unreasonable.

1 Like