"Woman" v "girl"

Oooh! Sarcasm! I like that. Actually she decided that she liked " girls" better than “boys”. Her words, two years later. She’s a happier person now, in a good relationship, with a “girlfriend” and doesnt feel the need to spell women with a “y”
smashy

I would much rather say, “I was out with my girls” than “I was out with my women.” The latter sounds more like a harem than a group of female friends. Woman seems to me more standoffish and less intimate than girl. Being called “woman” would be just as horrifying to me as being called “ma’am” as it would be implying a level of maturity that I don’t think I possess.

Can you imagine song titles if they were “corrected”?

Women Just Wanna Have Fun
My Woman
Brandy (You’re a Fine Woman)
The Woman is Mine
California Women
Women, Women, Women
Womanfriend [by Matthew Sweet]
China Woman [by David Bowie]
I Kissed a Woman [by Jill Sobule]
Wannabe by the Spice Women

and of course, Big Women Don’t Cry

Don’t forget Neil Diamond’s “Woman, You’ll Be a Woman Soon”

Black women…the no sex in Taiwan.[/quote]
Hey, that’s just NOT true. A friend from the states was here for about a year teaching English and guys both foreign and Taiwanese were tripping over themselves to get a date with her. :lovestruck: :lovestruck: She was on good terms with all the doormen in all the hip dance spots and never had to pay for a drink. Being a black woman doesn’t have to be a liability when it comes to dating in Taiwan. For M, it was an asset

I just peed my pants I laughed so hard.
It’s late, on a Saturday night/Sunday morning. Forgive me
smashy smashalot

Thank Buddah you don’t have to be politically correct in Taiwan. There is no law against calling a woman a “girl” in Taiwan. You can call her a cnt for all I care just remember that your self-righteous moralistic bullsht doesnt’ amount to f*ck in on this island.

…but what about

No Woman, No cry (Bob Marly)
When a Man Loves a Woman
Pretty Woman (Roy Orbison)
Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman (Bryan Adams)
I Am Woman (Helen Reddy)
I’m Every Woman
American Woman
The Woman in Me and Man I feel Like a Woman ( Shania Twain)
Red Blooded Woman (Kylie Minogue)
Natural Woman (Aretha Franklin)
LA Woman (The Doors)
More Than a Woman (Aaliyah)

And of course, Carlos Santana’s Black Magic Woman, Destiny’s Child’s Independant Women, and Fleetwood Mac’s Gold Dust Woman. Yes, those would sound funny if they were changed to girl, but clearly the context of many of those song titles is of independant females or the celebration of being female and saying “When a Man Loves a Girl” implies something much more different than if the title were “When a Boy Loves a Girl” or “When a Man Loves a Woman”.

Ah, how could I have forgotten The Woman from Ipanema and Billy Joel’s Uptown Woman…

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3545471.stm

Well, kind of interesting.

Hey Maoman you raise an interesting point if you don’t mind me departing from the in-depth gendered music analysis of late. You used the word “guys” which makes me think maybe we could look at the opposite side of the coin so to speak and consider whether we should say “guy” or “man.” I remember a college prof once asking how many of the girls (sorry) felt comfortable referring themselves as women and most raised their hands but said they didn’t mind being called girls. When he asked the males in the classroom how many felt comfortable referring to themselves as men, no one raised their hands. One male said he preferred to think of himself as a “guy.” So what is it? Boy? Man? Guy? Dude? And the musical analysis maybe applies here too since i don’t think madonna’s “boy toy” bit means she’s necessarily a pedophile. Maybe I should check the OED whaddaya think.

Slurpy Cheesethrust

[quote=“d726t9”]…http://news.BBC.co.UK/1/hi/UK/3545471.stm

Well, kind of interesting.[/quote]

Good link!

This Bonnie Greer creature is clearly someone whose presence my dear home country could do without. How depressing to read the tripe she spouts! Better she stay on her side of the pond where her poisonous views might find some resonance with those around her than seek to spread them where they’re so jarringly out of place.

But very well said, Ann Widdicombe! Good on you, girl – I agree wholeheartedly with your every word. You make me so glad to be British and imbued with good old British common sense.

Anyone work out why the quoted link in the last post doesn’t work but the original one does? Something to do with ‘UK’ in capitals in one but not in the other?

Omniloquacious:
I agree, but it’s not often that we hear one of our MPs speaking with such common sense. Very refreshing.

I’m a maaannnn, yess I ammm and I canthelpitiloveyouso…
smashy smasherton III

Black women…the no sex in Taiwan.[/quote]
Hey, that’s just NOT true. A friend from the states was here for about a year teaching English and guys both foreign and Taiwanese were tripping over themselves to get a date with her. :lovestruck: :lovestruck: She was on good terms with all the doormen in all the hip dance spots and never had to pay for a drink. Being a black woman doesn’t have to be a liability when it comes to dating in Taiwan. For M, it was an asset
[/quote]

You’re right, but unfortunately for those black women of at best average looks and aren’t built like your friend, it takes a lot more effort to get the ball rolling…much more than a quick glance would allow. Should I amend it to “big black women…the no sex”? How about “big ugly black women…”? Honestly, Maoman. While it’s nice to know that my color is not my liability, it’s not like we need to be reminded that we can’t all look like your friend.
:s

My post was an attempt to make a joke. Trust me. I don’t really have a problem here in Taiwan. If my humo(u)r was that bad, though, you could have just told me it wasn’t funny instead of trying to prove that it was just me who was having problems. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, ImaniOU is right. You know any more black mamas as hot as your friend, send’em my way. I’ll figure out a way to take care of’em…one way or the other :wink:

(I mean, seriously, how many black women look like that? That’s like telling white girls to shut up, “cause I knew this white girl, she looked like Claudia Schiffer, and she never had any problem getting dates…”)

ImaniOU, if you think you’re ugly, you need a better mirror.

Absolutely. I guess I was trying to say that colour isn’t an absolute in Taiwan. It’s possible to be a racial minority (of almost any race) in Taiwan, and still find love/sex/happiness. Admittedly, the “supermodels” amongst us have an easier time than the rest of us, but hey - that’s life. :idunno:

I suppose I needed to add a few :wink: 's there to show that I was not trying to attack Maoman. Um anyways, back to the girl vs. woman discussion…

I suppose we could settle this whole debate and call everyone “it”.

“Yeah, I was out with this ‘it’ and its it-friend happened to be there that night so I said to it…”

Would “she-thing” perhaps be more satisfactorily neutral? With, of course, “he-thing” as its masculine counterpart.

It’s Ladyfriend, BTW.