Women and snooker

Definitely where the scoring happens, but the real issue introduced by, say, 475-yard par 4 holes is reduced to distance off the tee. Golfers are forced by such courses to get there (<150 yds) within one shot.

1 Like

Interesting question. I wonder what Alison Fisher would say. (Is she still playing?)

I grew up in a small town that had a pool hall, a place where boys learned pool and how to gamble from a young age. Our small YMCA even had an excellent snooker table and two excellent 9’ pool tables (cues weren’t great, though).

One of the best pool players I grew up with was female. She was very good at all the so-called skill games like pool, darts, foosball, pinball, bowling, and golf. Come to think of it, though, I never saw her play snooker.

Looks at pitch and putt to see if men still win consistently.

I’d say a lot of the difference is due to more muscle mass from testosterone and also very significant height advantage.

I like to watch women play golf (I know). I think new golfers can learn a lot by watching women play, mainly because they are forced to have excellent technique. There are no Jim Furyks in women’s golf. Their swing is also slightly slowed down, too; it’s all about the strike.

Also some height in snooker could certainly help, all things considered.
Same with sports such as table tennis , not obvious initially but would help with reach.

Snooker and pool to me are quite different . The pockets in pool are like caverns compared to snooker and the table is half the size, you don’t have to get rests and extenders and all that. The accuracy and patience required to play snooker is another level (I grew up in a big snooker town …where winning the world snooker championship gets you a parade through town and the keys to the city :)).

Allison Fisher is one of the top women pool players now.

Still?! I remember watching her play tourney 9-ball, what, must have been more than 20 years ago. :sleeping:

Ok, I broke down and opened wiki, I see that she moved to America in 1997 (that’s where I saw her) but it appears she’s been nearly inactive since 2013.

Maybe she moved back to the UK and just fell off wiki’s radar.

Steve Davis was predictably ripped apart for his solution to the conundrum, but I think he is spot on:

“The male of the species has got a single-minded, obsessional type of brain that I don’t think so many females have.”

There are no top women jockeys in horse racing.

I thought I saw her playing pool on TV just recently, on the Asian tour.

EDIT: the WPBA rank her number 8.

1 Like

For me the problem with women’s golf is there isn’t enough talent and the separation of talent is obvious.

I have to admit that I’m not very interested in them around the green, putting and chipping. I do like to watch them off the tee and off the fairway, though.

I learned to play golf when I was 30, and because I’d played so much baseball I really struggled with a full golf swing. About a year later I happened onto a video of the Iron Byron machine swing and it all clicked. Women tend to move just slow enough that I can see some IB in them, too.