Women's Forum - Are private forums necessary?

You new foreigners just don’t understand old foreigner culture.

[quote=“Jefferson”]

I’m not sure how long you’ve been in Asia, but I have a feeling that as years pile on years, you’ll start to see things in more of a kaleidescope fashion and less black and white as (I think) you see them now.
:wink:[/quote]

Here is the quote that brought time in Asia into this topic. I contrary to somes belief did not. I only responded. Ironlady, I agree it has nothing to do with this thread.

Tetsuo, who is that old foreigner quip pointed at? :s

Tiger, ya, unfortunatley no more fun for you. :slight_smile:

Jefferson you seem to be telling them how to run it more than I. I mearly pointed out what had been said before. By the way, sorry not yellow. they are orange today. You started the idea of time here so what is this response for? Take a pill and look at the whole world not just your adjusted one. You may think my POV is unpopular and that is your right. I feel it may not be and there is a silent majority that will not post out of fear. Your head must really hurt if you keep bashing it against a wall.

Surf, I guess my main question to you is, What do you want ??
do you

1. want to join the woman’s forum?
  2. create a men’s forum?
  3. closed the womena’s forum so you can feel better??
  4. none of the above?

There is a reason and end result for everything, so what is it that you want?

No-one in particular, just a twist on an old running gag.

Let the ladies have their private forum and let them have it in peace.

This site, believe it or not, was set up to help folks out and the powers that be wisely saw that a private forum for the ladies would be beneficial.

Is it unequal that we don’t have a men’s forum? Technically “yes”, but life isn’t always fair and sometimes being fair isn’t the same as being right.

There is no need to have a men’s only forum.

One thing I think would be beneficial to both men and women, is the ability to post as a guest in certain forums. Forums such as “Health” and “Legal” would be much better if people could post their medical or legal problems(for example) without fear of instant recognition. Setting up a new ID just for that is just a hassle.
One thing Guys [i]are[/i] reluctant to talk about is their medical problems even if they really could do with some help/advice. A men’s only forum would not solve that issue, but posting as a guest would.

I think truant is a genius. Too bad I didn’t think of that. :notworthy:

Not out of fear. Out of boredom. Guess what Surf. There’s a women’s forum. It’s staying. Your objection is duly noted. Now please let it drop. :unamused:

By the way, right now they’re in there having a right old laugh about your pecker.

Yup. What he said.

Mia, #4 - just debating. Is that not what this whole site is about, freedom? The ability to speak ones mind?

DB, I agree, no separate forum for men.
Truant, Good post!!
Sandman, Hey I know it’s staying, I just feel it to be wrong to have been set up in the first place. Maoman at first even objected, but he gave his word and I commend him for sticking to it. I don’t wish it to be gone, I just stated an opinion and others jumped on it, including you.

[quote=“sandman”]

By the way, right now they’re in there having a right old laugh about your pecker.[/quote]

Now, what kind of asinine post was that? That is an example of why the women want a separate forum. Comments like that, directed at them. It is absurd, stupid comments like this that cause the women to shy away and make them want their own site. Anyway, are you sure it’s not yours they are talking about?

Heck, in the Women’s Super-Duper Private Forum we only comment on issues that are substantial enough to require debate. So, Maoman’s – maybe. Surf’s – extremely doubtful. :raspberry:

[quote=“Surf”]Tetsuo, who is that old foreigner quip pointed at? :s
[/quote]

This one is actually funny…it’s a takeoff on the standard reply, “You foreigners just don’t understand Chinese culture.” (Of course you need to have been in Taiwan for awhile to have heard that one repeatedly. :sunglasses: :smiley: )

Nice to see you have a sense of humour. :laughing: But if you must lower yourself to that level, so be it. Ironlady, check out my previous post. If you feel you must check then you are welcome to though. :smiley:

Have heard it many a time. Thanks for the clarification.

Now, what kind of asinine post was that? That is an example of why the women want a separate forum. Comments like that, directed at them. It is absurd, stupid comments like this that cause the women to shy away and make them want their own site. Anyway, are you sure it’s not yours they are talking about?[/quote]

Now you understand. Because of the presence of people like Sandman some of the ladies felt that they needed the occasional respite from penis jokes. After they got it some people - like me, for instance - complained bitterly that it contradicted the spirit of the site. But we got nowhere.

I’ve had my say, you’ve had yours, and they’ve still got their “How big is surf’s willy?” threads. Deleting those threads would also be contrary to the spirit of forumosa. Making them public would be a breach of trust. Taking away something that is in every day use, that people do have a need for, would also contradict our declared aim of helping people.

So the forum persists as an abberation, and many of us would rather that it had never been created. But it’s here and most of us have better things to do than waste our day bitching about it. Does it really matter?

It was created in a moment of weakness, and subsequently it has been considered a mistake by many. But the mistake was made, so what do you advocate doing about it?

Do you want the women’s forum to be closed down? Do you want it made public? What do you want?

[quote=“Surf”]Mia, #4 - just debating. Is that not what this whole site is about, freedom? The ability to speak ones mind?
[/quote]

I’m only speaking for myself here, but I do not think that is what this site is for. Or perhaps I should say that is not what this site has become.

I think this site is about people getting to know one another and helping each other. Freedom and the ‘ability to speak one’s mind’ are very much secondary considerations.

I hear from participants that the Women’s Forum is a comfortable place for them to get to know other women and help each other without a lot of comments from the peanut gallery. There are too few women on Forumosa already. Let’s not do anything to make them feel even less welcome.

Thank you Loretta and Feiren, for your comments. :notworthy: Your interpretations are correct. :sunglasses:

Maoman, did you see my post earlier suggesting limited ‘Guest’ access in certain forums such as Medical/Heath and Legal?

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 609#357609

I did. It’s a good suggestion. Stay tuned.

There’s arguing for a purpose and then there’s arguing for argument’s sake. Since you have continually failed to make your point about what you want, the needle is currently pointing at the latter.

[quote=“Surf”][quote=“sandman”]

By the way, right now they’re in there having a right old laugh about your pecker.[/quote]

Now, what kind of asinine post was that? That is an example of why the women want a separate forum…

Anyway, are you sure it’s not yours they are talking about?[/quote]

What kind of asinine comment was that? It’s common knowledge that we talk about everyone’s penises (psst…we do have a sense of humor).

Surf, I hate to be the bearer of bad news and the burster of bubbles but…

Your rights are not being infringed upon. Unless you have something relevant to add to a discussion on buying yeast infection medicine in Taiwan, breast reduction surgery, which local gynacologists provide the most comfortable exams, or the frustrations of motherhood as an expatriate housewife, don’t be too offended if we’re not banging down your door to join the women’s forum. Consider your exclusion from the Women’s Forum a favor. I have to sift through all the posts from the IP Forum; Vroom, Vroom Forum; Legal Forums; Learning Chinese Forum; etc. when I want to see the latest posts. By being excluded from the Women’s Forum, that’s one less set of irrelevant posts you have to wade through. :wink:

What it all boils down to, though, is that this is not your website or mine. This website is maintained by its administrators who are very good people willing to listen to the opinions of their subscribers despite the fact that they don’t have to. They alone say what stays and what goes and they seem to believe that there’s a need for a women’s forum. Take them on that and focus your energies and arguments on something a little more fruitful.

Just my (insert the current TWD to USD exchange rate for $0.02 USD here)…

Salaam.