Women's Forum - Are private forums necessary?

Well, the girth of everyone’s penii, if the brief public debut of that discussion was anything to go by. And if the actions of some guys that’ve walked into this virtual room are anything to go by, you’d need a sense of humor.

Surf - in part, I agree. In purely conceptual terms, I don’t like the idea of the seperate women’s forum. But like I said before - realistically, there’s a reason for it to be there. There were obviously enough women demanding a seperate forum for sensitive issues, and so they got one. Supply and demand. Is there equivalent demand for a men’s forum? And I mean genuine demand, not “They have one, we should too!” Would it get enough use to justify its existence? I seriously doubt it.

The reason I brought up length of residency in Taiwan is because, in my experience, one’s tendency to cling to stubborn, extremist positions is indirectly proportional to the length of one’s stay here. At least that goes for the people I know who are well adjusted and happy. The people who are perpetually miserable are on a continual repeat video, bashing their heads against walls ad nauseum, and unwilling to soften positions at home, in the work place, on the streets, etc.

I honestly find it rather bizarre that so many male posters are opposed to a women’s forum. I should think that, having circled the sun so many times, and having seen what the world is capable of, that a thoughtful 21st century man would clearly see the need for a private meeting place for women.

Or maybe it’s just my hippie blood that makes it obvious to me. :rainbow:

I second that with no hesitation and very well said Mr. Jefferson. :bravo:

Loretta, Great post! Thank you. I agree. No I do not advocate it to be closed, I just pointed out my objection to ANY private forums. I have always made my point clear, that I am against private forums in any form. Some have distorted what I have said and made it into what they want to argue about but I have not.

ImaniOU, I have never said that the site was mine nor wanted it to be only mine. Maybe I do have relevant info. for those things you mentioned, but now you will never know. As stated I have made my point quite clear it is just others have not seen it or did not want to see it. Whether I have something relevant to say or not in the forum is not the point. The point is separate forums. I like your sense of humour though!!

Now here goes!!

LOOK AT THE TITLE " SHOULD THERE BE PRIVATE FORUMS ON FORUMOSA?". I stated NO!! I have said it and will always stand by it. I have never said to get rid of the womens forum. I simply do no think private forums should exist here in any form. As Loretta stated in other posts it seems clear I am not the only one who believes it.

Any warped perception that others have taken of that is their problem. :loco: I also feel some should get their heads out of the sand. Jefferson, have another joint!!

All that said, I know it exists and will continue to exist and that is fine, just please NO more private forums. :rainbow:

[quote]Jefferson, have another joint!! [/quote] You said NO, he said YES. Have some respect young man! Jefferson doesn’t smoke…He’s sniffing glue. Get your story straight. :raspberry:

I also like Truant’s suggestion in this thread. Unless I can post as a guest, there’s no way I would talk about my…Well…Truant said it best. :blush:

bobepine

Surf - OK, so you object to any private forums. But now that one exists, what do you want done about it? Or is complaining as far as it goes?

Y’all actin’ like a bunch o’ girls anyway. Oooo he hurt my feelings. I’m not playing anymore. waaaaa

And the answer. Yes, the Women’s Forum and the moderator forums need to be private.

Brian

Tetsuo, who has complained besides you? Read my post/posts, ALL OF IT/THEM, and not just what suits your fancy. You will then have your answers and will maybe stop whining.

By the way, my feelings have never been hurt but maybe others have. The whining only comes from those who do not read, but just guess. Bye for now.

Jefferson wrote

While I have no problem with the women’s forum, I disagree with the idea that it takes a “21st century man” to see that. The reverse is true; men and women were much more segregated in days gone by. Actually, the desire for men to have access to female discussions is more modern than traditional.

Absolutely! I feel the same way, too.

Be a man and let the women have their forum.

And I wanna go to a pub where women are not permitted (except as barmaids). :slight_smile:

I’m not saying it takes a 21st century man to see that. What I’m saying is if you are a 21st century man, it should be obvious. :wink:

Why is there even a need for a women’s forum? As with affirmative action, do you correct historical wrongs with a new form of exclusion? If it was in a family context, of course people would say no. We don’t teach our children to correct wrongs by other forms of wrong action.

Yet, in government, universities, or even online forums, lots of people have no problems with such preferential treatment being given. My own opinion, if people don’t want to discuss certain issues in public forums, let them send PMs to a mod/admin that can answer the question or refer them to someone who can answer the question. If they can’t handle the rough and tumble of the forums like everyone else or have the logisitical skills to send a PM, why condone a type of tribalism where they are given their own forum? Do we give other minorities their own forum? And women aren’t even a minority group these days–they ARE the majority population wise and in many job sectors. Why do we just give a private forum to women? What about a gay forum? What about a forum for Mexican dwarfs? ABC/CBC forum?

[quote=“Chewycorns”]Why is there even a need for a women’s forum? As with affirmative action, do you correct historical wrongs with a new form of exclusion? If it was in a family context, of course people would say no. We don’t teach our children to correct wrongs by other forms of wrong action.

Yet, in government, universities, or even online forums, lots of people have no problems with such preferential treatment being given. My own opinion, if people don’t want to discuss certain issues in public forums, let them send PMs to a mod/admin that can answer the question or refer them to someone who can answer the question. If they can’t handle the rough and tumble of the forums like everyone else or have the logisitical skills to send a PM, why condone a type of tribalism where they are given their own forum? Do we give other minorities their own forum? And women aren’t even a minority group these days–they ARE the majority population wise and in many job sectors. Why do we just give a private forum to women? What about a gay forum? What about a forum for Mexican dwarfs? ABC/CBC forum?[/quote]

There are substantive arguments for having a private forum where women can discuss issues that only relate to them. Why not address those arguments instead of giving us 20 year old conservative biolerplate?

Boilerplate? :laughing: Better 20 year old ideas than 40 year old tribalistic ideas that are completely outdated. Affirmative action for women and minorities may have served a purpose immediately after the civil rights movement (which many Conservatives such as Charleton Heston supported), but don’t you think the pendulum has swung so far in the other direction now? Now such preferences only serve to entrench the special interest groups.

Chewycorns, are you realist or an idealist?

The forum serves a practical, meaningful function. It provides a real benefit at zero cost.

Where’s the harm?

The Women’s forum as ‘affirmative action’? Eh? As far as I’m aware, the only benefit is networking with female posters in an environment where no-one makes jokes about shit. Like it or not, it isn’t always easy for young girls especially, in Asia. They have fewer expat peers, especially out of Taipei, and may have different health or social concerns that they don’t want to discuss with the world at large, but may ask a group of other women.

And what’s with the retro thing of my having something takes something away from you? As one of the blue dudes above said – it’s added value for no cost – why see it as an ideological thing? ‘Added’ value, not value stolen from the men.

And PMs are unmoderated, and so some are fairly wary of networking in that way.

maybe Chewy would feel mollified if he had a subforum all to his self.

But the women are talking about stuff, and we don’t know what they’re saying. They might be laughing at how silly we are, or commenting on penis size or something.

and that makes you slightly less confident?

there are other people all over the playground talking in huddles about your/some other guys dick size, I’m sure, and have been for millenia (well, since the invention of playgrounds).