Word Jazz- Ken Nordine Psychedelic Poetry

Do you like your stereo music :musical_note::notes:.
He had a lot to do with the development of stereo recording as it is today.

He created a lot of albums and had a long running show on National Public Radio.

He’s the ultimate sound and wordscape artist.
He mixes science, history, music and literature. .
You must choose a relaxing time and listen with head phones on.
You will get three conversations streaming into your head.
Maybe your advanced students could listen to certain select segments to help them with understanding free association and stream of consciousness…
I hope you like bit. Could you suggest anything other mind bending media you may like.
I got hooked on this stuff in sixth grade.

Main page
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://archive.org/details/WordJazzRadio15&ved=2ahUKEwjhvee6yeXxAhWRHqYKHZu-AxMQFjAAegQIBRAC&usg=AOvVaw38QSdmMBjz-LKWyCFWU21P&cshid=1626369402626

1 Like

Depending on the mood, shpongle and pachabel were always my go to. Ideally a rain storm, or a waterfall/river was more than sufficient. I personally was never a fan of people talking when trying to enter new thought processes.

Your link i will share with some friends that are more jazz minded. Its pretty good, and i am not a jazz person at all!

1 Like

I will give those two groups a try.

“I personally was never a fan of people talking when trying to enter new thought processes.”

Thought processes or moods?
The person talking with the backgrounds, the rhythms and music were the very thing that helped me get into new thought processes.
I was a borderline special ed kid back in the '70s when they did not know much what to do with them. I suffered from severe dyslexia, poor coordination and writing skills and a vast array of other problems.

Anyway I think the main reason I managed to do as much as I did was the fact that my father was into old time radio and NPR.
The radio dramas and especially this freeform show Word Jazz allowed a burt out kid to reatreat to his room and just pop on the headphones and learn things without struggling.
I listened to the classics on the CBS Radio Mystery Theater.
Learned Americana (not the nationalist kind) humor and philosophy from Jean Shepherd’s Radio Show. You know shep as the writer of A Christmas Story

Here are some other lakes you may find interesting.
The CBS Radio mystery theater. Yes, as a semi autistic kid I insulted Herman Munster.
Radio station WOR went to the garden State arts center for the day and they decided to do a live version of this show.
Us kids were allowed to sit at the steps of the stage.
During the commercial break we were allowed to get up and chat with the cast members. I said to one of them, “you’re good but why do you keep doing the Herman Munster voice.”
I instantly was made to feel invisible. Totally ignored. I didn’t realize that it was Fred Quinn. He could have handled it a bit better but anyways, I like him and it shows are my favorite in this series.

https://www.cbsrmt.com/
Jean Shepherd had a big influence. His stories are timeless though some woke people maybe put off by some of his remarks that are very 1970s…
But he is an artful story teller. He was once known as a modern-day Mark Twain.
I have all of his shows dating back from the '50s until when he left the air.
You can find most of them on the internet archives. Here’s a link to 1965.
(I tried to link to the index page but I just get individual episodes. If you want to learn more about look up “Jean Shepherd radio show internet archive”)

Here’s a link to one of my favorite shows. This topic is Chinatown and maybe that is why I ended up here in Taiwan. This is from the 1970s