Words that make you cringe

ni

Vasectomy

Musical Theatre

(saw Rent last week) :raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry:

Switching into Rant Power Mode…

• “Multiple Intelligence”

It was a concept created in the “I’m Okay, You’re Okay”/ “Everyone’s a Winner”/ “Cooperation Over Competition” feel-goody bullshit frame of mind to keep stupid people from realizing they’re stupid.

“I’m not clumsy; I just don’t have much spatial intelligence.” Yes, you’re right. Spatially speaking, you’re a dumb fuck.

I absolutely refuse to buy into such pseudoscience. And speaking of pseudoscience feelgood terms…

• “EQ”

Also high up there on my lexical shitlist. Yet another concept to make stupid people feel like they were smart in something.

They claim, “People with a high EQ are more successful than people with a high IQ.”

Yeah, that’s why the vast majority of the most powerful people in the world are also the most fucked-up self-centered pricks. Must be all that EQ… :unamused:

Rant over…for now.

“Literally.”

Possibly the most misused word in the English language.

I also don’t much like “Fusion.” No particular reason.

Ecaps

hao

[quote=“Old Gobbo”]Musical Theatre

(saw Rent last week) :raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry:[/quote]

Fudge bro, are you OK? Rent? I mean… come on! It is unforgettably missable.

Imaniou, that EQ gubbins really gets my goat. I think it is an excuse for women to lord it over men! Funk500 has a high EQ though! He took his girl to see ‘Bum crack mountain,’ you don’t get much higher than that up the EQ chain. The last movie I took MrsHill to was Batman Begins.
Tom has a low EQ it is official. He only knows when he has been wronged, not when he has dunned the wronging.

“vegetable” and “comfortable” when said with 4 syllables.

“pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis” when said with less than 19 syllables.

significant other

“I think”

“I think that blablabla…”

If you’re typing or saying it, it’s kind of obvious you must be thinking.

bobepine

Surely “I think” implies an opinion rather than a thought process?

Anyway,

Partner when refering to husband or wife, boyfriend or girlfriend.
A partner is someone you go into business with or say “howdy” to in the wild west.

S/O is mildly annoying too.

[quote=“Dangermouse”]Surely “I think” implies an opinion rather than a thought process?[/quote]Think for yourself would you, I think you’re wrong. :wink:

bobepine

Do you have a boyfriend?

Why not?

:fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume:

I was thinking for my self, stupid. :wink:

“How do you do”. You’re not asking how they do something, or even how they are; you’re saying “Nice to meet you” so why not just say that?

“How are you?”. You’re not asking how it can be that the person exists, or what matter they are composed of… you’re enquiring after their health! Say what you mean and say it straight!

:unamused:

Speaking of transformational grammar, what IS with all this wh-movement anyway. I mean, “with all this wh-movement is what”?

Instead of saying “What is your name?” we should learn to say “Your name is what?” Loads simpler… and if millions of Chinese speakers can manage it, why so can we! What!

Chutney

[quote=“Namahottie”]Do you have a boyfriend?

Why not?

:fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume:[/quote]

They’re just insinuating that someone as hot as you certainly must have a boyfriend or three. Maybe their too shy to say “Do you want one? How about me?” Nobody asks this question of an ugly girl, Namahottie, why can’t you take it as a compliment?

But okay, I’ll stop saying this to girls. :blush:

MARRIAGE