Words that make you cringe

The #1 offender in my book is “amazing”. Its extreme overuse in the U.S. says a lot about the failure of U.S. education to teach kids to speak intelligently.

1 Like

The way “reach out” has replaced “contact” in business correspondence makes me cringe. Don’t know why–guess it’s because I’m an old fart?

2 Likes

convo
brekkie
vacay

I could not believe how much that phrase was used in business in the U.S. . I am “reaching out” to you :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I have a feeling that you should avoid any Antipodean adventures :joy:

1 Like

3 Likes

When I hear students say, “Teacher, I’m boring.”

Yes…yes you are.

3 Likes

Taiwan as an adjective.

1 Like

I forgot another one I hate.

Mate

Toxic masculinity
Trigger warning
Safe space
Intersectional
Problematic
Third wave
Gender fluid or pansexual

If any article I read contains any of the above words or phrases, except within the context of mocking them, then I immediately tune out.

5 Likes

Used in what way?

“Hey mate!”

It’s annoying.

You’re in Britain, what can you do?

Avoid the north of England, you’ll get some really odd expressions.

Ah yes, like “the Taiwan government”. If you really want to avoid saying “Taiwanese” for political reasons, there’s always “Taiwan’s government”.

Yeah that’s annoying too. It’s so stupid.

I also hate UK as an adjective. Like “the UK government” or “the UK PM” etc. What’s wrong with the word British?

1 Like

UK and Britain aren’t the same.

I’m sure people understand what “British government”, “British PM”, “British food” mean.

No, I’m wrong. British does apply to anyone in the UK. Apologies.

Well Northern Irish people call themselves Irish. They wouldn’t be too happy when you call them British.

There’s no pleasing you, is there?