Words that make you cringe

“proactive”

proctologist

“proactive proctologist”

[quote=“redandy”]TPS reports[/quote]Ahhh yeaaaahhh…did you get the memo about the cover sheets?

Goood…

[quote=“Namahottie”]
nega nega nega(Chinese for umm umm umm)[/quote]
hit-e hit-e hit-e (Taiwanese for umm umm umm)

ICRT - we radio life

ICRT - In love with you

ICRT- English Radio Taiwan (then immediately followed by a commercial in Chinese)

[quote=“4nr”]ICRT - we radio life

ICRT - In love with you

ICRT- English Radio Taiwan (then immediately followed by a commercial in Chinese)[/quote]
:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :notworthy: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Monday

multi-tasking

self-starter

goal oriented

And then there’s the one I hear in HK a lot: reclaimed land. WTF is “reclaimed land?” The land that the government claims to have “reclaimed” was never land in the first place. It’s not like the big bad ocean snatched some of the coastline away and then the Lands Department gallantly claimed it back. Why can’t they just call it what it is: ocean filled in with rubbish with even more rubbish built on top of it.

“Vs.” when used in Taiwan to stand for “AND” when “and” would do perfectly well, since versus does not mean “and” … GRRRRRRR!

ect.

funner/funnest (See how stupid it looks in writing, Jefferson?) as well as the overuse of fun: “We went to America. It was fun. I played with my cousins and it was fun. One of them caught on fire. It was so funny.”

Comma splices (not the phrase but the actual use of them - Hello, Cringe City!)

“I like to skate, sing, dance, etc…” (where’s the hair-pulling out emoticon?)

Along the same lines: “I like to play computer.”

The misuse of “e.g.” and “i.e.”

“quote” “unquote” (especially when fingers are used to illustrate the punctuation) :unamused:

good (as a means to describe something) - How does this taste? Good. What’s the weather like? Good. How’s your new job? Good. Carry a thesaurus for crying out loud if your vocabulary is that poor!

stool sample (I don’t even want to think about that shit - so to speak)

“The activities included A, B and C… etc.”

First of all, you shouldn’t use “etc.” with “include”, “such as” or “like”. Second, what’s with all the dots?

[quote=“ImaniOU”]ect.

funner/funnest (See how stupid it looks in writing, Jefferson?) as well as the overuse of fun: “We went to America. It was fun. I played with my cousins and it was fun. One of them caught on fire. It was so funny.”

Comma splices (not the phrase but the actual use of them - Hello, Cringe City!)

“I like to skate, sing, dance, etc…” (where’s the hair-pulling out emoticon?)

Along the same lines: “I like to play computer.”

The misuse of “e.g.” and “i.e.”

“quote” “unquote” (especially when fingers are used to illustrate the punctuation) :unamused:

good (as a means to describe something) - How does this taste? Good. What’s the weather like? Good. How’s your new job? Good. Carry a thesaurus for crying out loud if your vocabulary is that poor!

stool sample (I don’t even want to think about that shit - so to speak)[/quote]
‘:threadjacked:’ WORDS!!! Not grammar
:smiley: :laughing: :smiley:

Oprah

Sorry, just the Grammar Nazi in me. Anywho, the OP didn’t say if they had to be spoken or written words, la.

:stinkyface:

Another one to add to the list:

“cheesy” (unless in reference to food)

It’s on !!! :rant: :rant: :nyah:

Zoidberg’s Top Ten List

1. Canadian values
  2. Liberal Party of Canada
  3. sovereignty association
  4. Toronto, Ontario
  5. X’mas (wake up people, the X already stands in place of the word “Christ”)
  6. axe ( as in “Can I axe you a question?”)
  7. ginormous
  8. chillaxing
  9. quick-a-ly

And the #1 word that makes Zoidberg cringe:

Forumosa

Hey, c’mon, we were all thinking it :smiley:

I agree. “Gihugic” is far superior.

Anything coupled with “Nazi”.

The following verbs:

impact
access
target