Words that make you cringe

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Aye, it looks like the work of the badman science masters of Babylon playing woth I & I medicine mon.

Free the herb!

HG[/quote]
Is that Orange bud, or red bearded skunk, my eyes are bad.

Oh yeah, I don’t like the word ‘spliffy.’

[quote=“TomHill”][quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Aye, it looks like the work of the badman science masters of Babylon playing woth I & I medicine mon.

Free the herb!

HG[/quote]
Is that Orange bud, or red bearded skunk, my eyes are bad.

Oh yeah, I don’t like the word ‘spliffy.’[/quote]

Irie.
I like that word.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Aye, it looks like the work of the badman science masters of Babylon playing woth I & I medicine mon.

Free the herb!

HG[/quote]

That’s called “[color=green]Cripple Bud[/color]”.

Wouldn’t that be “wicked” as an adverb?[/quote]

I like “wicked”.

I think as used by Bodo it is an adjective. But, grammar is a weak spot for me, so, I could be wrong. Maybe even wickedly wrong.[/quote]
Ya know, maybe you’re right it is an adverb. I never was very good with language even my native language. Do the English teachers agree? This is an adverb right?

Thanks for the help, TM.

Bodo

[quote=“TomHill”]I also like ‘wicked.’

One that REALLY makes me cringe, and I’m sure lots of you do it, so don’t be too angry…
Pronouncing the word ‘Homage’ as ‘ooomaaje.’ Are you French? Are you? It is Hom-idge.

In England there is a football player called Tierry Henry. He is French. And people go around calling him 'enri. It is so ghey because Henri Camara, who is Senegalese French, gets rightly called ‘Henry Camera.’ Ghey. Are we French? NON.
And there is some stupid bint on CNN who does the weather and INSISTS on saying each place name as the locals of that place would. “In Nee- cu- agwa…” “In Paareee…” GHEY GHEY GHEY!

Say it in your own accent, stop foreigning it up.[/quote]
Yeah, sometimes that is so aggravating. I know what you mean, sheesh! :wink:
It does bug me when newscasters use a French pronunciation for Niger, and attempt the “local” pronunciation of Qatar (did I spell it right?) - they say cutter without trilling the “r” as the locals do, and so it isn’t even an authentic pronunciation of the name anyway. :unamused:

Bodo

An adverb is used to modify a verb, adjective or another adverb. Outside is the noun. Cold is the adjective. Wicked is the adverb.

That was a waaaay wicked pic of some gnarly, heinous bud, doncha think…???

OK Dangermouse, you may spell me Herhu, but you must call me erhu. The H is silent. Comprende?

[quote=“Old Gobbo”]An adverb is used to modify a verb, adjective or another adverb. Outside is the noun. Cold is the adjective. Wicked is the adverb.

That was a waaaay wicked pic of some gnarly, heinous bud, doncha think…???[/quote]

Outside can be a noun, but right there it was a preposition, no? Or maybe a sentential adverb? Not a noun mate.

[quote=“Herhu”]Comprende?[/quote] It’s a deal that even a Peruvian arms dealer would be happy with.

[quote=“Bodo”][quote=“TomHill”]I also like ‘wicked.’

One that REALLY makes me cringe, and I’m sure lots of you do it, so don’t be too angry…
Pronouncing the word ‘Homage’ as ‘ooomaaje.’ Are you French? Are you? It is Hom-idge.

In England there is a football player called Tierry Henry. He is French. And people go around calling him 'enri. It is so ghey because Henri Camara, who is Senegalese French, gets rightly called ‘Henry Camera.’ Ghey. Are we French? NON.
And there is some stupid bint on CNN who does the weather and INSISTS on saying each place name as the locals of that place would. “In Nee- cu- agwa…” “In Paareee…” GHEY GHEY GHEY!

Say it in your own accent, stop foreigning it up.[/quote]
Yeah, sometimes that is so aggravating. I know what you mean, sheesh! :wink:
It does bug me when newscasters use a French pronunciation for Niger, and attempt the “local” pronunciation of Qatar (did I spell it right?) - they say cutter without trilling the “r” as the locals do, and so it isn’t even an authentic pronunciation of the name anyway. :unamused:

Bodo[/quote]

How else can one pronounce Niger? Nai-zhe? Get off! If you mean with a funny rolled r at the end then I agree… but if you’re just saying nee-jair (the j = the s in pleasure or leisure) is wrong then that’s silly.

And Tom it’s all just convention: that’s what you seem to be conceding really. Of course it would be idiotic to refer to the capital of France as Paree, but that’s how you say Paris St Germain. And come to that how do you pronounce the Paris suburb? Saint German, surely, to do any different would be foreigning it up! (I hope you’re still using proper English-sounding terms like Saragossa for Zaragoza, Peking for Beijing, Angora for Ankara (not to mention Constantinople for Istanbul)… and I hope to that you refer to the capital of S Korea, when speaking Chinese, as Hancheng and not Souer… Koreans deigning to change their city’s official Chinese name, the cheek of it).

The villiage of Saint John in the UK is pronounced “Sin Jin.” :laughing:

Wow…I had no idea you people were so crazy.

Just kidding, my list is a mile long. Basically all words in the Ebonics dialect.

You pronounce it just like Nigeria, but without the “ia” part. Nai-j-er. Come on, and say it with me! You can do it. Nai-j-er. Nai-j-er. Nai-j-er. It’s easy, see? That’s the 'merican pronunciation. :laughing:

Bodo

Yeh, wot all u guys said

Words which Americans have modified but not improved. “Abolishment” (instead of abolition) and “normalcy” (normality) come to mind.
I’m happy for language to evolve - but doesn’t evolution imply improvement, streamlining, shortening?

[quote=“smithsgj”]

And Tom it’s all just convention: that’s what you seem to be conceding really. Of course it would be idiotic to refer to the capital of France as Paree, but that’s how you say Paris St Germain. And come to that how do you pronounce the Paris suburb? Saint German, surely, to do any different would be foreigning it up! (I hope you’re still using proper English-sounding terms like Saragossa for Zaragoza, Peking for Beijing, Angora for Ankara (not to mention Constantinople for Istanbul)… and I hope to that you refer to the capital of S Korea, when speaking Chinese, as Hancheng and not Souer… Koreans deigning to change their city’s official Chinese name, the cheek of it).[/quote]

I say Paris St Germain as Pariss Saint ger-man. I do not say Paree Sant Jerrrmannn. Besides, I typically do not talk about the French, as I am ‘The Roast Beef.’ :smiley: I really do use the English when saying those names like za-ra-go-za. I don’t try and make some half assed Spanish attempt. Zthargotha. Sounds a bit pretentious. One more relevant example, rather than Ankara ( as that word is not in my everyday vocab ) would be Tie-pay. What’s all this Doi-Bey business when speaking English? When I lived in oh-sarka I used to dislike hearing it referred to as Ooosakah. (Osaka obviously.) And yes, I’d refer to Soeul as Hancheng, if I was speaking Gwo-yu, but in English it is Soeul.

Of course, when one is speaking in the native tongue once should then attempt to foreign up the names as much as possible so that the listener can understand. I am often heard refering to Tai-di-ong when speaking to A-ma, but then say Tie-chong when speaking with my bro’s.

I guess to me it sounds bizarre when people try to foreign it up in their own language. I wouldn’t attempt to say Cornwall in a Cornish accent. Right or wrong, thats Old Tom.

[quote=“StevenCrook”]Words which Americans have modified but not improved. “Abolishment” (instead of abolition) and “normalcy” (normality) come to mind.
I’m happy for language to evolve - but doesn’t evolution imply improvement, streamlining, shortening?[/quote]
Fuckin’ A homey !

(he said emphatically in support of the previous post)

And: ‘preparedness’ is the stupidest word ever.

ditto on carbs. it just sounds dumb.
the verb “to transition”

gasp