Work contract: need advice

Hello,

I hope that someone out there can give me some good advice on my situation.

I came to Taiwan on a contract with one of the large schools. Of course, I was promised a lot of hours which did not materialize. After hanging in with them for two months and pleading my situation with them I was finally broke and had to quit. Since then they have blacklisted me even though they were only able to supply me with 6 hours of work a week. :smiling_imp:

I went home and got another visitor visa. I have a school that would like for me to apply for a work permit. I am wondering if anyone out there can help me out with advice on the chances of it getting approved and how I could go about it. I have considered taking Chinese courses to be able to stay in the country but my money will not last too long doing that. :frowning:

Any serious advice regarding what you have been through would be appreciated. :?

I would suggest adjusting your ARC status asap and not to follow the language study option. Do further verify this with the Seque archives, but I do believe that one can currently reapply for a new ARC in Taiwan. Then do the Hong Kong visa trip when it is approved.

Ultimately, these immigration visa violations by Taiwanese employers should be specifically fined by the MOI/MOFA, and then reasonable hourly minimums of 25 hours of weekly employment, not seasonally adjustable, really need to be established. This is really a minimum demand for these ARC visas for any such foreign labor rights, and I continue to be very aggravated by these continual abuses in Taiwan.

Does one ultimately have to resort to the negative publicity methods of international embarassment at the expense of the MOFA losing face on this issue? :?:

Why didn’t you demand that the first school fulfill the terms of the contract?

Sorry for the criticism, but you seem very unaware of the concept of “legal rights”.

If you want to come in for personal counseling, please contact me.

Well I do know what legal rights are. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of not reading my contract closely enough. The wording on it says that I would make myself available for 18 hours of work a week but did not set 18 hours as the minimum amount of work that I would be granted.

It is unfortunate that when someone is really looking for advice that all that they get is a tort reply from someone like yourself.

Regards.

I don’t consider my reply tort. I consider it to the point, and moreover it is quite serious. According to what I know, there is a minimum of 14 hours a week for full time teachers, maybe it is even 16 hours now. Hence, you are entitled to be paid for this minimum number of hours per week.

Why would you think otherwise?

You have stated “After hanging in with them for two months and pleading my situation with them I was finally broke and had to quit.” Sorry, this makes no sense to me.

The question remains “Why didn’t you demand that the first school fulfill the terms of the contract?”