Work in Taiwan or US?

This is my first time on this forum, I apologize for the number of questions I am asking in this one thread. Your inputs are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

For people who have experience in working in both Taiwan and the U.S, what are some of the pros and cons you guys observed.

I talked with my friend, and he told me that working in the U.S is a much better idea. I can understand that the salary in the U.S. is much higher, however, when looking into income tax, mortgage, housing tax/insurance,gas, food, etc., living in the U.S. is not exactly cheap. So what are your inputs on that.

In addition, I have a degree in master’s in health administration/management, does that have a decent job prospect or outlook in Taiwan?

Personally I think it depends on how much you get paid. Assuming you are not living in downtown Manhattan, San Fran, or LA, the US is probably better financally (if you can find a job) unless you get an expat salary in Taiwan. I could not survive on a local salary in Taipei and I have no idea how the locals do it. (college graduate starting salary is NT 22,000 to NT 30,000 per month).

It also depends on what lifestyle you want. If you want an American lifesyte (car, big place, lots of food), it might be expensive. Also most things in Taiwan are actually more expensive than in the USA. Some of the utiilites are cheaper, but electronics, clothes, shoes, tools, food (compare the same portions) are more generally more expensive.

You could potentially save more in Taiwan, but your lifestyle will have to change drastically unless you get paid an American salary here. You should also consider food. Western food is imported and thus more expensive.

definitely true. just a quick example - the adidas jacket that i bought in taipei cost me about US$80. the same jacket in nyc macy’s or jc penney cost $50.

[quote=“Obiwonwasabi”]This is my first time on this forum, I apologize for the number of questions I am asking in this one thread. Your inputs are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

For people who have experience in working in both Taiwan and the U.S, what are some of the pros and cons you guys observed.

I talked with my friend, and he told me that working in the U.S is a much better idea. I can understand that the salary in the U.S. is much higher, however, when looking into income tax, mortgage, housing tax/insurance,gas, food, etc., living in the U.S. is not exactly cheap. So what are your inputs on that.

In addition, I have a degree in master’s in health administration/management, does that have a decent job prospect or outlook in Taiwan?[/quote]

Living in Taiwan can be a lot of fun. I taught English in Taiwan from 2007-2011. However there is no career growth. The only way you can earn more is to start your own business.

Unless you are fluent in Mandarin, your degree in health administration/management is useless. And even if you are fluent, you would probably earn 50,000-60,000NT on a local salary.

Right now, I am back in the United States and waiting to start a new job in July. My future career will have nothing to do with teaching ESL.