Work Load

I have been checking out job offers in Taiwan, and most of them state that I’ll have about 25 teaching hours per week.

Does that mean I can go home after I am done teaching? Or do they expect you to stay at the school for extra office hours?

I have taught in China, and I worked 25 hours a week, and that’s it.

Thanks!

When they say 25 hours a week that certainly means 25 hours in front of a class. There is always more work to be done, but whether this entails showing up a few minutes early or spending many hours of prep time every week really depends on the school. My experience is that the bigger, “brand-name” schools that love to tout their well designed curriculum are the ones that ask the most of a teacher. I have found the smaller, non-franchise shcools require a lot less work, are more enjoyable to work in, and usually pay a higher wage. This is just my personal experience, I’m sure others may disagree.

be sure to ask any school before making a decision, and (though it might seem a little weird) see if they have that policy in writing somewhere. otherwise, ask to speak to some of the teachers when/if you go for an interview. if the school has any problems with that, should make your decision fairly easy …

I agree. A few years ago, I worked for a large “brand-name” school and the extra work load was insane. Personally, I enjoy the smaller, privately owned schools. The pay is higher, my hours are less and they are more grateful for your hard work. This has been my experience, others may vary.

Yep, if I were you I would go small. I’m always hearing from friends in big name schools about daft meetings and extra prep time.

Have to agree with the smaller school suggestions. My experience with a small school has been preety good. You will always get stuck with a daft meeting here or there, but more often you won’t being doing the monthly thing. The 25 hours is most likely contact hours. All prep, grade and extras are not part of the so called hours. On the other hand I find grading in front of the TV with a nice stiff drink the way to go. I suggest you try to talk to a current or former teacher. That’s where you’re really going to find out all hidden details or possible skeletons the contract may not allude to.