Work options for a writer

Until relatively recently, I worked full-time as a writer with several books published in the UK. That work has dried up for the moment, though, and I’ve been looking into finding some kind of writing work here in Taipei (I’m married to a Taiwanese). I fear my options may be limited since my Mandarin is very minimal - there’s not much call for speaking Chinese when your work involves sitting at home and not talking to anyone. I do some online editing for a literary agency, but it’s pretty infrequent.

I did some freelance copywriting work this summer for a Taipei ad agency, which was interesting, but I don’t think they ever used more than a single line I wrote for them since their client kept changing the brief. I have no training in copywriting, however (which they knew).

I’ve looked around various job sites, and even applied for a couple I’ve seen here on Forumosa, with no luck. Teaching is an option, but I’d rather stick to writing and editing if it’s feasible. I know about Tealit, etc, but I’m pretty green about what market there is here, if any. Any suggestions?