Work permit application trouble(?)

A company wants to hire me, but seems to be having trouble getting the initial 'OK" from the government. When they called the labor board they were told a foreigner can`t work in an English school IT department. As well they said for ANY job in Taiwan a foreigner NEEDS to have a Bachelors degree. This seems to be a bit …mmmm… not right? I can hardly image all the foreigners here have a BA in their home country, even to clean toilets, I mean come on. I did some research and found this site

www2.evta.gov.tw/evta_wcf/chi0013_page01.asp
www2.evta.gov.tw/evta_wcf/index_eng.htm

Neither the Chinese nor the English site mentions needing a BA… only a copy of your diploma (degree?) for all types of work. Its very unclear if a degree is the same as a diploma, as the degree clearly states you completed your study. Also, what do you need for paperwork? Is a COPY of the degree acceptable? I don’t feel like handing them my real degree.
As for myself, I have an AS degree, and I have been studying Chinese here for 10 months so I have a student ARC.

I need some real help on the issue as my deadline to go home is June 4th if I can’t get this done properly, and to be honest the school’s hiring staff seems to not quite know all the ins and outs yet either.

[quote=“sinepythgimeht”]A company wants to hire me, but seems to be having trouble getting the initial 'OK" from the government. When they called the labor board they were told a foriegner can`t work in an English school IT department. As well they said for ANY job in Taiwan a foreigner NEEDS to have a Bachelors degree. This seems to be a bit …mmmm… not right? I can hardly image all the foreigners here have a BA in their home country, even to clean toilets, I mean come on. I did some research and found this site

www2.evta.gov.tw/evta_wcf/chi0013_page01.asp
www2.evta.gov.tw/evta_wcf/index_eng.htm

Neither the Chinese nor the English site mentions needing a BA… only a copy of your diploma (degree?) for all types of work. Its very unclear if a degree is the same as a diploma, as the degree clearly states you completed your study. Also, what do you need for paperwork? Is a COPY of the degree acceptable? I don’t feel like handing them my real degree.
As for myself, I have an AS degree, and I have been studying Chinese here for 10 months so I have a student ARC.

I need some real help on the issue as my deadline to go home is June 4th if I can’t get this done properly, and to be honest the school’s hiring staff seems to not quite know all the ins and outs yet either.[/quote]

I believe that the success of your application will be based upon proving your suitability to the job and showing the government why the school needs to hire you for that position instead of a local person. For teaching English this is easy as we are native speakers and therefore win by default. In the case of office jobs such as IT you are likely going to have to prove that you are better at that than a local. This is where proven work experience becomes key. If you don

So if they absolutely need to go the teacher route (as I am not a teacher obviously) what requirements does that carry? And are they absolute or negotiable?

You can read the requirements for all types of work here: evta.gov.tw/english/lawevta.files/wcf-01.htm

Article 5 lists the minumum requirements (at least one of which must be met) needed for any job. Not allways a degree.
Article 40 lists the additional requirements needed for a language teacher. A degree is needed.

If you wanted to get the technical route you would need to show that you meet one of the requirements needed in Article 5, and so are eligible for employment, and then the school would have to show why they cannot employ a local to do the job.

Well it seems the closest i have is the degree/experience combo, but i only have an AS. However I worked about 5 years in what can be passed as related field/job. How would you say I should go about it? Can you pm me to lend a little extra help? I think it may be easier to explain and talk about that way. If not an answer here would do. Just unsure since it’s my first job attempt and I only have until June before my student ARC runs out and I may have to head home if I don;t have a solid job prospect and/or job by then.

Also i read somewhere a copy of the degree/diploma and work experience letter needs a stamp from the TECRO in your home country…what kind of stamp? What do I need to ask my home country contact to tell them I need on it? Authentication?