Work permit for foreign freelance artists

Hi all,

I am going to be applying for the new artist work permit that Taiwan started offering earlier this year (it was brought in with the employment gold card). I have several questions that I was unable to find any answers to, I have read everything I could find about this work permit online, and I have contacted the WDA, but all they did was refer me back to their website which I have already read.

I was hoping that someone here might be able to help with my queries! The WDA confirmed that I can apply freelance, without requiring any employer to be involved with the application, so this is the path I want to take. I have the required 10 years professional experience.

  1. Is it possible to apply for this work permit outside of Taiwan? There is an online form that can be completed on the WDA website, but it says to pay the examination fee you have to either pay in person (but I’m not in Taiwan), by ATM transfer or by postal remittance. Is it possible to do any these from outside Taiwan. I am in Australia, but I arrive in Taiwan next month.

  2. I need to get my supporting documents translated. Do I need to submit the originals in English AND the translated copies? And is it better to get them translated in Taiwan or in Australia?

  3. Are there any immigration agents that I would be able to hire to help me with the application? I have searched online but haven’t found anything.

  4. If I do apply when I get to Taiwan next month, I will be staying in an Air Bnb until my fiancee and I find an apartment. Do I just put the address of the Air Bnb for my residential address on the form?

  5. It is my understanding I don’t need to provide a police background check for the work permit application, but if I get the work permit and apply for visa and ARC, I have to supply the background check then. Does this also need to be translated?

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks.

A post was merged into an existing topic: “Employment gold card” for some foreigners