Work Permit/Visa Extension

My current 60 day Visitors Visa expires on April 16th. I just started a 20 hour a week job and my employer is providing me with a work permit and in a month will apply for my ARC. What do I need to do to remain legal? I have been told I can ‘easily’ get a 30 day extension at the local police station. I tried that and they asked about my work permit status. They refered me to another office. Will a ‘Visa Run’ eventually be necessary? Any input would be great.

Adam

First question: is your 60 day visa an extendable one?

If not I think you will have to do the visa run.

If it is then you should be able to get it extended without a visa run.

Sorry this isn’t exactly factual, hopefully someone will shed some true light onthe subject.

If your employer is genuine about the work permit then you should be able to get an extension on your visa from the police station, but you will probably need to show them your work contract, your passport (or something to show that you permits are currently being processed).

If you haven’t signed a contract then your boss is not getting you a work permit as they need to send in a signed contract, photocopies of your passport, etc. to get this rolling.

I switched from a studetn ARC to a Work ARC (Alien Residence Certificate) which is what you will need to remain and work here. However, my ARC expired midway through the process. so we went to the Police station, showed them the documents and they extended my ARC for an extra month so we could complete the process.

This is a little different to your situation.But if everything is above board with your employer, the police should be helpful.

Just a thought. When you went to extend your visa, did you take any documents showing why you are here and that the process of said work permit is in progress?

[quote=“Suthenboy”]My current 60 day Visitors Visa expires on April 16th. I just started a 20 hour a week job and my employer is providing me with a work permit and in a month will apply for my ARC. What do I need to do to remain legal? I have been told I can ‘easily’ get a 30 day extension at the local police station. I tried that and they asked about my work permit status. They refered me to another office. Will a ‘Visa Run’ eventually be necessary? Any input would be great.

Adam[/quote]

Hi Adam:

The general rule for Visitor Visa extensions is 15-days prior to the expiration date. I’ve heard that it could be done in 7 days. You have less than 4 days before expiry. If you provided the FAP with employer documentation such as your appointment letter, contract, and evidence they have submitted your ARC application, they may extend. Where were you applying? Some FAP departments are more flexible than others and how you plead your case can make a big difference. Having inside connections can make a difference.

Based on these facts, a visa run is very likely.

Good luck.