Work permit with online TEFL certification?

Okay, guys. I have looked for an answer to this and I absolutely can NOT find it anywhere.

My mother-in-law and her husband are planning to move here by the end of the year, January at the absolute latest. I’m not at all worried about my m-i-l’s husband finding work. He has a Master’s degree, and I have a feeling I can get him hired on at my own school without issue.

My question is about my mother-in-law. I was told by my school that they can provide a work permit and ARC for teachers who have Associate’s degrees and TEFL certifications. My mother-in-law has an Associate’s, but as of right now, no TEFL cert. So, how does the government feel about giving work permits or ARCs to people with online TEFL certifications? I know that in-class is better. I am strictly asking about legality here.

Thanks.

No online/distance degrees are accepted.

Are you saying that online TEFL certs aren’t accepted, because that is what I’m asking about. Her degree is not a distance degree.

No online TEFL certificates either. No type of degree, certificate, diploma ETC is accepted here if done online of by means of distance education.

I thought that online degrees were only not accepted in Taipei.

Why would the requirments differ city to city?

I have a marriage ARC, so my education is not that important. However, a good friend is working at Hess (Idiot). He had an undergraduate degree done by correspondence and postgrad from a traditional go to lectures uni. When he applied he had to get a TEFL certificate as well. He got his ARC based on his postgrad degree and TEFL certificate. His postgrad was one year and his TEFL was two days.

Well, I don’t know why they would, but from what I saw here:

saet.co.za/articles.aspx?pn=1

it led me to think that they do.

Where did your friend get his two-day TEFL certification, if I may ask?

[quote=“kbaileyoakes”]Well, I don’t know why they would, but from what I saw here:

saet.co.za/articles.aspx?pn=1

it led me to think that they do.

Where did your friend get his two-day TEFL certification, if I may ask?[/quote]
One World Language school I think. Cape Town.

I have seen the article you posted before. I did hear that in some areas ( Chinese translation: who pays the biggest bribe) they will accept distance degrees, but would not bank on this. It is illegal for some stupid reason.

Well, there goes that idea. Do you have any idea of language schools in Taiwan that offer TEFL certifications for (far) less than $2000 USD?

Not that I know of. But if they are not in Taiwan yet, why does she not do in her home country?

The previously-mentioned $2000 USD+ price tag of all the TEFL certifications in the states would be the reason.

Tell them to stop off in Thailand for a week and do it there. US $ 2000 for a TEFL cert (which is mostly rubbish) is a joke.

They don’t really have the money to be flying all over the world, staying for weeks. That is the issue. Sure, maybe they could go to Thailand, but how would they find a place to get a TEFL certification?

Well an internet search would turn up many places. However, if the issue is $$$, then it is going to be impossible wherever they are. You are looking for an option that does not exist. Getting a cheap certificate in the USA. You have said yourself this is impossible.
The bottom line is that she will need the certificate to get legal employment. Therefore she needs to make a plan. There are some logical options like the father coming over, getting a job, financing the wifes certificate.

You asked the question, but are not happy with the answers. Nothing anyone can do about that.

[quote=“bigduke6”]Well an internet search would turn up many places. However, if the issue is $$$, then it is going to be impossible wherever they are. You are looking for an option that does not exist. Getting a cheap certificate in the USA. You have said yourself this is impossible.
The bottom line is that she will need the certificate to get legal employment. Therefore she needs to make a plan. There are some logical options like the father coming over, getting a job, financing the wifes certificate.

You asked the question, but are not happy with the answers. Nothing anyone can do about that.[/quote]

No, I am not nitpicking your answer. I asked if there were any options for getting a certification in Taiwan because they cost too much in the states. You said that they should go to Thailand for her to get it, but that would cost as much as (if not more than) doing a course in the states.

Once he gets a work visa can’t she apply for a JFRV off the back of his ARC? I’m not absolutely sure whether this is correct. It sounds a bit mental, but this is Taiwan. Bit dodgy to then work off it, but let’s be honest none of the Taiwanese really give a toss.

The jfrv she would get does not have open work rights. The only way to get the jfrv with open work rights is by marrying a local.

He’s getting a JFRV. I’m just looking to the future. Eventually, I’d like for him to be able to work legally!

I have had no trouble with a crappy online TEFL.

Do you have a uni degree?