Work permit with online TEFL certification?

Associate Degree.

Oh my god, thank you!!!

What company did you use to get your certification online?

The Taiwanese MOE does not recognize distance education (just search on this forum for many threads).

In some cases it might be accepted for an ARC. This does not mean that the MOE recognizes it at all.

This is Taiwan, and rules are often bent/ignored, depending on the schools connections in the MOE or some other illogical reason. In most cases it will not.

Your mother in law could arrive here with her online TEFL degree which might be worthless when she tries to apply for an ARC/Work permit. It will end up costing a lot more than the $ 2000 dollars it cost in the USA.

Again, do a search on this forum or contact the MOE yourself, but do not rely on a person you know who managed to do it.

I wouldn’t rely on my luck, either.
Are we discussion MOE or other agencies now?

I beg to differ. A friend of mine from SA had issues with getting his arc and was told by the work permit folks to do a tefl course to go along with his SA diploma and he got his arc. I’ll have to mail him to get the exact details.

I beg to differ. A friend of mine from SA had issues with getting his arc and was told by the work permit folks to do a tefl course to go along with his SA diploma and he got his arc. I’ll have to mail him to get the exact details.[/quote]

Very possible. I know this happens. The official position is that online/distance education is not recognized. However, this is Taiwan. In Taipei they might not accept it and in Taichung they might. The opposite could be true in 5 minutes time.

The school in question might have a relationship with the official in question.

My point is that you cannot rely that the online course will be accepted.

I’m pretty sure that only applies to degrees, not TEFL certificates.

I know of a lot more than one person who have applied for an ARC with an online TEFL certificate. It is almost impossible to confirm if the certificate was done online or nnot. The MOE doesn’t accept online degrees for positions in public schools or universities but other than that it is one huge gray area.

Sums up Taiwan.

Sums up Taiwan.[/quote]

Exactly my point.

I’m with heimuoshu. As far as I know, they look identical. Shouldn’t be an issue at all. By the way, she made need to produce a transcript for her degree(NOT for the TESOL/TEFL) Better grab that before she comes.

Taiwanese Government does not recognize online degrees or distance learning ones.
If she plans to get a job in Taiwan, she must have a full 3 or 4 year degree from an accredited university.

[quote=“marshmallow21”]Taiwanese Government does not recognize online degrees or distance learning ones.
If she plans to get a job in Taiwan, she must have a full 3 or 4 year degree from an accredited university.[/quote]

This is not true. They will accept an associate degree with a TEFL certificate. However, they do not recognize anything done online or distance.

To the OP: from what you’ve been told, the chances are 50/50.

Taiwan has a lot of laws on paper, but whether they actually follow it is another question.

Taiwanese law is only good for paper or when actually required.

[quote=“marshmallow21”]To the OP: from what you’ve been told, the chances are 50/50.

Taiwan has a lot of laws on paper, but whether they actually follow it is another question.

Taiwanese law is only good for paper or when actually required.[/quote]

Correct.

Taiwan doesn’t accept online degrees if you want an ARC or if you want to work in public schools or universities. The rest is hearsay. You can get an arc here with a recognised (done in a brick and mortar uni or college) associates or two year diploma and a TEFL from any organisation that sounds real. “New York GFY school for ESL teachers” will count, regardless of whether the GFY stands for Go F%$6 yourself. If you have a good looking certificate you are in.

Thanks for the tip!

[quote=“marshmallow21”]To the OP: from what you’ve been told, the chances are 50/50.

Taiwanese law is only good for paper or when actually required.[/quote]

Thank you. 50/50 is, as far as I’m concerned, good enough. Her husband will be working, so she can take her time finding her own job.