Work rules eased

Has anyone found a relevant website, in chinese or english, where this new relaxed regualtion is spelled out? It would be a great help to have a copy of the actual law in chinese in case any government official tried to get nasty :slight_smile:

I have no idea what youā€™re talking about. I only replied because you said ā€œseriouslyā€, but now Iā€™m not so sure this reply was really worth it.
Could you clarify?[/quote]

Ummā€¦ I could never possibly believe that this is a trap!
Yes, you did waste a reply.[/quote]

I donā€™t think that I deserve that :unamused: rating for a bit of sarcasm. It made a point.

A lot of foreigners run around thinking that the authorities are out to get them. In reality, in most places, the authorities couldnā€™t care less about you as long as you donā€™t draw too much attention to yourself with illegal or irresponsable behaviour.

That - and only that - is what I meant.

Try evta.gov.tw

Find the law section on the chinese site, find the employment services act, and then scroll down to article 48.

Iā€™m posting here because the other thread on ARC renewals seems stuck in never-neverland. You can only access it by doing a search.

I went today and got a 3 year, count em, 3 year extension on my ARC. No hassles. The girl at the counter even asked how many years I wanted. When she discovered that my passport is only valid for another 2 1/2 years she still gave me the 3 year extenion but said I had to come in 6 months before the ARC expires and show my new passport. Then they will give me the last 6 months.

Hoopla. :smiley:

Which office? Panchiao? Please.

Sorry, Taipei. And I took Chicodudeā€™s advice and brought my respectable looking wife to represent me. Plus I dressed like a mormom.

The law was revised by the Legislative Yuan and promulgated by President Chen on May 13, 2003. It is the Employment Services Act, and Article 48 contains the provision that a foreign spouse with residency based on marriage needs no work permit to work in the Taiwan area.

Where/how can I get my hands on the hard copy of that (in Chinese, with an English translation, if possible.)? Is it available on the web? I need to show this (in writing) to quite a few non-believers. Just showing people the newspaper article isnā€™t enough for some it seemsā€¦

We have the dismal quality of newspapers here to blame for that, I believe.

You can go to the law database on the Ministry of Justice website. law.moj.gov.tw/fl.asp

Then type in the name of the Employment Services Act in Chinese:

law.moj.gov.tw/Scripts/PQuery4A. ā€¦ 01&FLNO=48

[quote]

Article 48 as pasted above specifically relates to govt. institutions and research centers. Nothing about private companies.

[quote=ā€œsalmonā€]

Article 48 as pasted above specifically relates to govt. institutions and research centers. Nothing about private companies.[/quote]

Salmon: The syntax is a bit confusing here, but I think that the scope of the part about government and research institutions ends at

[quote]

[quote=ā€œsalmonā€]http://law.moj.gov.tw/Scripts/PQuery4A.asp?Fcode=N0090001&FLNO=48

[quote]

This Legislative change is a hasty reaction to the over 100 petition letters which my secretary and I took in after Chinese New Year, as well as the cries of some of the groups supporting the Southeast Asian wives.

You can see that the clause was inserted hastily, but it does indeed grant foreign spouses free work rights in the Taiwan area.

Well done Richard, and thank you.

Does this include teaching in a bushiban? Iā€™d like to know!

Perhaps I missed that, but the CLA doesnā€™t include the MOE which regulates teachersā€¦

Confused!

Kenneth

The Council of Labor Affairs is the Central Government authority in charge of all work permit matters.

The information I have assembled on the new work rules is here taiwanadvice.com/forms/worktai.htm

If this doesnā€™t answer your question(s), then you probably need to set up a coordination meeting with a Legislator.

Please keep all of us at forumosa.com informed of developments.

The short answer is that you should be able to but some localities donā€™t allow you to do it. One such locality is Kaohsiung City. Check with your local police, Bureau of Education, and Labor Board. PLease let us know what they say.

Moderatorā€™s note: The local authorities DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO OVER-RULE THE LAW, or TO OVER-RULE the DETERMINATION OF THE CLA. Hence, if there is a contradicition between what the law says and what the local authorities say, then the local authorities are wrong [i]by definition[/i]. The correct way to approach this problem is to find a Legislator and have a coordination meeting, as I stated above.