Work Rules For English Teachers

Just because they will not be fined does not make it legal. If the school is getting fined it is not legal. I don’t have any official documents. Can anyone offer up something official from the MOE?

If anyone is familiar with the former ALV English camp in Taiwan, now they had a deal going on. They were in existence for about ten years hiring 90 percent illegal teachers. Many were just here for two months on tourist visas.

Just because they will not be fined does not make it legal. If the school is getting fined it is not legal. I don’t have any official documents. Can anyone offer up something official from the MOE?[/quote]

It’s not illegal, (for a JFRV holder to teach English to under 6’s), because there’s no law against it. Show me the law.

The MOE make requirements of the school when doing their license inspections. The license is contingent on them doing certain things. One of these might be not hiring foreign teachers anymore. If the school agrees to make the changes, then they can get their license renewed. If they agree, but don’t make the changes they can get fined.

But not illegal for the teacher to work there.

Well at least it is illegal for the school and I would not be so sure that it is not illegal for the teacher. It is just that JFRV holder’s may not be prossecuted for it. Just like people who are caught with small amounts of marijuana are not prsecuted in Germany.

[quote=“steelersman”]

It is just that JFRV holder’s may not be prossecuted for it. Just like people who are caught with small amounts of marijuana are not prsecuted in Germany.[/quote]

It is? So you are aware of the law that makes it illegal, and can tell us as Bu Lai En asks?

No law, but I was told by my old boss that it is illegal to teach in a foreign language all day so a married but unqualified (in Taiwan) may teach English but only for a short number of hours and at particular times of the day, regardless of your visa status. However, that was in 2004 (?) or so, just after they repealed the ‘foreigners can teach in private kindies’ law. Our kindy only had two hour English sessions and we had to prove we had a pedagogically sound, balanced curriculum and preschool qualified teachers to get a license. Could have been wrong, but my boss had no reason to bs me. Of course, once she got a license, that went out the window and we got a bunch of 600 an hour Canadian fobs to teach five hours a day.

In reality, they don’t much give a shit about private kindies, though and I’m aware that this post is another bunch of hearsay.

[quote=“Buttercup”]No law, but I was told by my old boss that it is illegal to teach in a foreign language all day so a married but unqualified (in Taiwan) may teach English but only for a short number of hours and at particular times of the day, regardless of your visa status. However, that was in 2004 (?) or so, just after they repealed the ‘foreigners can teach in private kindies’ law. Our kindy only had two hour English sessions and we had to prove we had a pedagogically sound, balanced curriculum and preschool qualified teachers to get a license. Could have been wrong, but my boss had no reason to bs me. Of course, once she got a license, that went out the window and we got a bunch of 600 an hour Canadian fobs to teach five hours a day.

In reality, they don’t much give a shit about private kindies, though and I’m aware that this post is another bunch of hearsay.[/quote]Yeah, that was the new rule that came in at that time. There’s a big thread about it on here somewhere.

So from what I understand, it’s legal to have two different work permits listed on your ARC. However, when you add the second work permit to your ARC, does your First School find out about the change?

The first school will (probably) find out when it’s time to renew the contract from the first school.

I usually had 2 work permits, and each school always kept a copy of my ARC on file. Of course the ARC had the names of both schools on it, so it would just be a matter of noticing the name of the “second” school. However, your boss may not notice it, for whatever that’s worth. :slight_smile:

Good luck.

I think teachers shouldn’t accept a job without a visa. You essentially have no legal protection if you do that. Also, the school is crazy to do this- if something were to happen to a child under the supervision of an illegal ‘teacher’, the director would be in SO much trouble. It is a reckless way to run a business. Taiwan is not Paris, it is not the end of the world if you don’t stay, so I wouldn’t accept a legal situation that could create huge problems for you very easily.

I am not sure that one has much legal protection even if they have an ARC. A school can basically show you the door when they want to.

There are some rules that they need to compensate you one month’s pay.

You have an ARC.
You teach English
You get fired.
Your employer reports you at the authorities (They have to respect the law).
You have to leave the country within one week.

Do you have enough time to claim your extra month of salary?

If you are an elementary school teacher and you have an ARC through a private elementary school, it is registered as a full time job which means you can’t do any other jobs, eg extra buxiban work (legally). How about if that school doesn’t offer you any summer work. You don’t work and get paid in July and August… are you allowed to do a summer camp at another school or educational institution??? I guess according to the rules you are not allowed to do that? But that’s kind of stupid. That means you are supposed to be “unemployed” and without money for two months of the year. Can anyone help???

Don’t worry. Somehow Taiwan thinks Buxiban teachers can get by just teaching Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday afternoons.

Tuesdays is pretty much a day without work since elementary kids get out of school at 4:30PM. Maybe you can pick up an hour from 5 to 6PM but not much is happening. Many large schools have these teachers teach kindergarten kids but for work that is actually legal there is not much.

Not exactly correct. You can have more than one “full-time” job on your ARC as long as your combined teaching hours don’t exceed 32/week.

That is true for Buxiban jobs. I think that if you have a job in an actual school and have a real teacher’s license you are not allowed to get a second job legally. Maybe someone else can comment on that situation.

Yeah, work RULES! Like, totally, man.

[quote=“steelersman”]Don’t worry. Somehow Taiwan thinks Buxiban teachers can get by just teaching Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday afternoons.

[/quote]

And you’ll still be earning more than the average Taiwanese teacher, so what’s the problem?

I just turned down a full time kindy gig at my school and am now being treated like an outsider by one of the other teachers (who is also working illegally there).

What’s so hard to understand? It’s illegal for a foreigner to teach kindy here. That’s the reason why I declined the contract and even when I substitute for the other kindy teachers I’m nervous…

It’s all good though. The boss likes me enough to create a couple of extra classes and offered me a midday to 6pm contract.

But it annoys me that I am considered a weirdo because I want to follow the rules.

They’re just jealous because they probably teach every morning with raging hangovers and you get to sleep in. :smiley: