Work Rules For English Teachers

What percentage of Taiwanese English teachers pay their own rent? How many have student loans to pay? That is like comparing apples with oranges.

What percentage of Taiwanese English teachers pay their own rent? How many have student loans to pay? That is like comparing apples with oranges.[/quote]
Further, how many of them are inheriting their parent’s money? I know mine have none to leave me but most of the Taiwanese families I know have accumulated a lot over the years to pass on to their kids. My partner’s parents bought him his house, gave him his car and paid for his graduate degree overseas. I got none of the above.

How many of them have their closest relatives living in another country, so that if they want to see them they have to travel thousands of miles at a huge expense?

How many of them get full benefits, including vacation pay, sick pay and annual bonuses? I get none of the above.

Apples and oranges.

What percentage of Taiwanese English teachers pay their own rent? How many have student loans to pay? That is like comparing apples with oranges.[/quote]
Further, how many of them are inheriting their parent’s money? I know mine have none to leave me but most of the Taiwanese families I know have accumulated a lot over the years to pass on to their kids. My partner’s parents bought him his house, gave him his car and paid for his graduate degree overseas. I got none of the above.

How many of them have their closest relatives living in another country, so that if they want to see them they have to travel thousands of miles at a huge expense?

How many of them get full benefits, including vacation pay, sick pay and annual bonuses? I get none of the above.

Apples and oranges.[/quote]

Are you an American, Craig? I have a feeling that you are. Just currious.

And this is relevant because…

Apples and oranges.[/quote]

But none of this has anything to do with what a for-profit business like a buxiban should pay. They are not responsible for money you borrowed, rent you must pay etc.

Of the TW teachers I know, most of them are carrying a fair bit of credit card debt - should the buxiban owners be responsible for making sure they can pay that? No, of course not, so why should they care about your student loan?

Also, a lot of the teachers I know are from small towns/villages and have moved to bigger cities - presumably that means rent must be paid. And a fair proportion of them have to pay their parents a %age of their paycheck which I’ve been told is more-or-less like paying their parents back for their education.

The inheritance argument is meaningless - my fiancee’s mother doesn’t have any to leave her, and I have foreign friends who stand to gain plenty. The exact opposite of your situation, but it’s still not something you can generalize.

And this is relevant because…[/quote]

She’s going to ask for your phone number!! Don’t DO IT, dude!!!
:runaway:

And this is relevant because…[/quote]

She’s going to ask for your phone number!! Don’t DO IT, dude!!!
:runaway:[/quote]

Awww Chiefy, you’re so cute when you’re jealous!

Craig, you just sound like you’ve got a bit of an entitlement complex. I an American, too, and moved back to the States 3.5 years ago. Sometimes I still have a kind of culture shock about the way Americans seem to feel that they’re not getting a fair shake if they don’t have more than the guy next door. The guy next door could have cancer and some people around here would whine that they’d only had the flu, and only once in the last three years! It hasn’t always been that way. Anyway, not relevant in the least, really. Every once in a while I talk back to the tv, too. :popcorn:

No entitlement complex at all. It’s all about market forces. Supply and demand.

If a local company wants to hire people from overseas, the pay and benefit package must be compelling enough to attract interest, n’est-ce pas? If the pay does not cover the person’s cost of living, and all of the things I wrote above are typical costs of living for an expat and are absolutely relevant to the subject, then the bushiban owner will not attract candidates.

If on the other hand, a local company wants to hire a local employee, then there is a different set of economics involved.

In regards to English buxibans this has everything to do with it. If a buxiban owner wants to attract foreigners to come to Taiwan they need to pay accordingly. If foreigners were paid 400NT an hour to teach English. I am sure there would be a lot less foreigners here.

It really has nothing to do with the teaching abilities of foreigners. Parents want foreign teachers and buxiban owners want to make money.

Why is this discussion only about JFRV holders (which I am) teaching kindergarten? Why has no one mentioned the legality of teaching primary and older? Because it is clearly legal for a JFRV to teach them. The kindies are questionable, the older students are not, as is tutoring. Ever notice there it no place on the tax return to declare private tutoring?

In regards to English buxibans this has everything to do with it. If a buxiban owner wants to attract foreigners to come to Taiwan they need to pay accordingly. If foreigners were paid 400NT an hour to teach English. I am sure there would be a lot less foreigners here.[/quote]

Be careful what you say. Just a couple short years ago it was easy to find jobs that started out at 750 per hour, or 80000 a month. I know, I frequented Taiwanted.com during that time every day. Sure, the average was maybe 60,000 (and now it’s closer to 52,000), but jobs as a whole were not in short supply as they are now. Now, since there’s so much competition, schools don’t even advertise much online and have dropped their going rates much lower. Pretty soon they’ll be offering 500 per hour as a standard starting fee and will lower the prices of their classes to entice more parents (with only one child).

This industry is going downhill fast. Don’t expect Taiwanese buxiban owners to wise up and start offering benefits now. 8 years ago, the Hess school I worked for gave bonuses 6 times a year, and paid for a vacation in Bali, Indonesia. No shit. Now, they buy us coffee once a year. That’s the bonus. It’s too late in the game to turn back now. They’d have to charge more to pay more, and that’s too risky.

Why is this discussion only about JFRV holders (which I am) teaching kindergarten? Why has no one mentioned the legality of teaching primary and older? Because it is clearly legal for a JFRV to teach them. The kindies are questionable, the older students are not, as is tutoring. Ever notice there it no place on the tax return to declare private tutoring?[/quote]

As far as I know it is illegal for Taiwanese to teach English in a kindergarten, so why wouldn’t it be illegal for JFRVs to teach English in a kindergarten?

Why is this discussion only about JFRV holders (which I am) teaching kindergarten? Why has no one mentioned the legality of teaching primary and older? Because it is clearly legal for a JFRV to teach them. The kindies are questionable, the older students are not, as is tutoring. Ever notice there it no place on the tax return to declare private tutoring?[/quote]

As far as I know it is illegal for Taiwanese to teach English in a kindergarten, so why wouldn’t it be illegal for JFRVs to teach English in a kindergarten?[/quote]

It’s not illegal. They’re not allowed to teach full-time English.

Here is a question for all of you.

Private teaching seems to be illegal. But on websites such as tealit or others, there is a space for teachers to advertise their services.
Some of these show they are available for teaching as well as privates.

Does that mean these websites are facilitating illegal teaching activity in Taiwan?

Cheers

The lion

No. It’s illegal if you don’t have an APRC or JFRC, which many overseas’ teachers have. Many Taiwanese people and dual nationality holders are native speakers of English so it is legal for them to teach privately. Chances are, they aren’t declaring it to the taxman, though, a foul practice that I’m sure tealit.com would never encourage.

If you want to be super technical, it’s still illegal but it’s allowed when you have a JFRV. Having a JFRV doesn’t make it magically legal, it just makes it so the government won’t take action against you, especially action like fining or deporting you, if you’re found out. Technically speaking, foreigners aren’t supposed to be working certain jobs regardless of their marital status in Taiwan, but that doesn’t mean they can’t. It’s a strange, confusing system.

And in response to the bit about private tutoring: Are you saying you don’t appreciate the ability to advertise private teaching services? That’s what keeps us alive. It’s only illegal so they can bust agents who try to dodge taxes and such, but you’d be hard-pressed to find a lawman who actually knew or cared that foreigners tutoring is illegal.

And to say “many” foreigners have an APRC or JFRV might be a bit of an exaggeration. I’d say the GRAND majority just have a normal ARC or, in some cases, and extended visitor’s visa.

[quote=“XinBiDe”]If you want to be super technical, it’s still illegal but it’s allowed when you have a JFRV. Having a JFRV doesn’t make it magically legal, it just makes it so the government won’t take action against you, especially action like fining or deporting you, if you’re found out. Technically speaking, foreigners aren’t supposed to be working certain jobs regardless of their marital status in Taiwan, but that doesn’t mean they can’t. It’s a strange, confusing system.

And in response to the bit about private tutoring: Are you saying you don’t appreciate the ability to advertise private teaching services? That’s what keeps us alive. It’s only illegal so they can bust agents who try to dodge taxes and such, but you’d be hard-pressed to find a lawman who actually knew or cared that foreigners tutoring is illegal.

And to say “many” foreigners have an APRC or JFRV might be a bit of an exaggeration. I’d say the GRAND majority just have a normal ARC or, in some cases, and extended visitor’s visa.[/quote]
Its not illegal, technically or otherwise. JFRV holders are allowed to take any kind of work that we’re qualified to do. Private tutoring requires no qualifications, so anyone can do it, provided we satisfy the requirements of the client.

Then I stand corrected.

But when I spoke of private tutoring I was really referring to people without JFRVs tutoring. Yes, it’s “illegal”, but no one cares.

[quote=“XinBiDe”]Then I stand corrected.

But when I spoke of private tutoring I was really referring to people without JFRVs tutoring. Yes, it’s “illegal”, but no one cares.[/quote]
They care all right, but they also know how difficult it is to enforce. If your client, though, happens to fall foul of a neighbour who informs on you, then you will be in a sticky situation. Seen it happen.

In regards to English buxibans this has everything to do with it. If a buxiban owner wants to attract foreigners to come to Taiwan they need to pay accordingly. If foreigners were paid 400NT an hour to teach English. I am sure there would be a lot less foreigners here.[/quote]

Be careful what you say. Just a couple short years ago it was easy to find jobs that started out at 750 per hour, or 80000 a month. I know, I frequented Taiwanted.com during that time every day. Sure, the average was maybe 60,000 (and now it’s closer to 52,000), but jobs as a whole were not in short supply as they are now. Now, since there’s so much competition, schools don’t even advertise much online and have dropped their going rates much lower. Pretty soon they’ll be offering 500 per hour as a standard starting fee and will lower the prices of their classes to entice more parents (with only one child).

This industry is going downhill fast. Don’t expect Taiwanese buxiban owners to wise up and start offering benefits now. 8 years ago, the Hess school I worked for gave bonuses 6 times a year, and paid for a vacation in Bali, Indonesia. No shit. Now, they buy us coffee once a year. That’s the bonus. It’s too late in the game to turn back now. They’d have to charge more to pay more, and that’s too risky.[/quote]

I agree that the industry is rapidly going downhill. The only counter-acting force is the job market for university graduates in the U.S., and to a lesser extent, elsewhere. As long as the U.S. employment market is fucked, the situation will be temporarily alleviated. However, if/when it picks up, expect a mass exodus of foreigners teaching English in Taiwan. There will always be a certain percentage who want to come to Asia for the adventure of it all, but if wages continue to fall in Taiwan, then at some point, there won’t be a significant difference between Taiwan and certain other countries (especially if those countries have population growth, and thus, increasing demand for teachers). Let’s say for a moment that it gets to that point, are people going to want to live in Taiwan or Thailand, Cambodia, etc.? I’m guessing the latter. No one goes to live in Taiwan, South Korea or Abu Dhabi because they think they’d be cool places to live. They go for the money. If the money goes, they go.

At that point, expect buxibans and kindergartens to be full of Russians, Poles or Afrikaans speaking South Africans teaching English. Of course, that’s a bizarre concept, but that’s what it will get to because no one will want to pay native speakers more (and I don’t think it’s that they can’t afford to pay more, even now, since 150NT/hour more for the teacher only translates into about 10-20NT/student/hour). If people think English is woeful in this country now, just wait until it gets to that point!

Taiwan is also seeing this problem with qualified teachers, again perhaps only temporarily alleviated by the economic situation in the U.S. Most Australian teachers wouldn’t touch Taiwan with a barge pole though because the benefits are woeful compared to Australia. The Taiwanese governmental system can’t get anywhere near as many people as it needs.

In my own case (a qualified teacher), other than perhaps doing a little subbing work this year, I don’t intend to work in the buxiban or kindergarten sector. Not for the crap, not for 600NT/hour. I have a year’s living expenses in the bank. I’m trying to work for myself. Failing that, I’m out of Taiwan by the end of the year. I could work in an international school, the Middle East or Brunei, Britain or Australia, or maybe even somewhere in south-east Asia. Government schools here aren’t a particularly attractive option though and I think the government sector is going to have to wake up to that also if they’re really serious about getting native speakers. Of course, I think they’re fairly wishy washy on that, but still, the demand exceeds the supply.