Worker exploitation

damn this is absolutely horrible - it reminds me of indentured servitude in the u.s., when people would arrive with years and years of debts to their employers already under their belt.

i’m unsure what can be done about the situation as i’m just new here and have not witnessed this situation nor known about it until just now, though unfortunately it doesn’t surprise me. and i recognize that as a non-citizen i may have no recourse to push for actual enactment of this proposed legislation that has come up as a result of ms. liu’s death - not assuming that the legislation would in fact change the situation - but isn’t there something i, we, can do?

is there a chance for info dissemination - perhaps a leafletting campaign of some sort? it’s already been said that the workers are best to contact their cultural office; is there a way to get the word out to them more expediently and efficiently? how will they contact the office if they can’t even get outside of their factory?

i’d not like to be imprisoned or targetted by police due to “actions other than those authorized by the employment act” (paraphrase) but i’d like to know what i could do to help the situation. i’d also like to be more informed: any texts or websites (other than those already linked in the forum)?

thanks

That’s the first I’ve heard of any such decree. Can you offer a source for that?

By the way, the Labour Rights Association’s web page says that it is looking for volunteers.

From last Sring. Note the final 3 paragraphs.

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/arch … /24/133141

Council trumpets new law against workplace injuries

WORKERS’ SAFETY: The Law to Protect Workers Against Occupational Hazards will come into effect next Sunday, but foreign workers say it excludes them completely
By Tsai Ting-I
STAFF REPORTER
Wednesday, Apr 24, 2002,Page 2

Council of Labor Affairs Chairwo-man Chen Chu (陳菊) yesterday said she hoped that new legislation will make occupational accidents a thing of the past. The CLA is currently preparing for a new labor law aimed at protecting the rights of employees who are injured at work.

The Law to Protect Workers Against Occupational Hazards was passed in October last year and will come into effect next Sunday.

“The safety of workers should be employers’ most important priority. We hope that occupational accidents will eventually stop happening in Taiwan as a result of the law,” said Chen, speaking at a press conference to promote awareness of the new law.

The soon-to-be-introduced law states that all victims of occupational accidents are entitled to compensation from their employers and aid from the state for medical treatment and nursing. The law also states that a worker’s family is entitled to state compensation if the worker dies in an occupational accident.

The applies to all workers, regardless of whether they are covered by labor insurance.

After the law has come into effect, the CLA will – as required by the law – provide vocational training for the victims of occupational accidents to help them to return to work. Under the law, government departments are also required to set up a system to monitor job-related diseases and to promote occupational safety.

According to CLA statistics, 38,000 Taiwanese workers suffered occupational accidents or were diagnosed with job-related diseases last year.

Worker organizations had campaigned for the law for a decade before the CLA submitted it to the Legislative Yuan in 1998.

Ho Tuan-fang (賀端蕃), general secretary of the CLA, yesterday also promised to remove from the CLA’s regulations for the implementation of the law a clause that wanted to restrict the law’s applicability to those categories of employment listed in the Labor Standards Law.

The promise followed demonstrations that were staged at the press conference by the Taiwan Association for Victims of Occupational Accidents and Diseases, the Labor Legislation Action Council and the Hope Workers’ Center.

They groups not only protested against the above-mentioned provision in the CLA’s draft regulations – but also against the fact that the law does not apply, retroactively, to past incidents.

The groups say that the Labor Standards Law ignores domestic servants and care-givers, effectively disenfranchising 120,000 foreign migrant workers.

But Chen Chu said that, since legislation cannot take effect retroactively – unless explicitly stated to do so – it was too late to give the legislation retroactive effect.

The CLA will stage further events in Kaohsiung on April 28 to promote awareness of the law.

how have these brokers become so chummy chummy with the lawmakers? is it that the brokers have gotten them their maids and caretakers as well?

thanks for the link on the labor association - i contacted them in the hopes that i could help out. it’s nice to know there’s something out there trying to make things better.

Excuse me, but is physical abuse = occupational accident?

That said how much money can compensate you for loss of eyesight, not caused by neglience, an unfortunate accident but by someone beating you!?

As mentioned before there have been hundreds of cases in Malaysia and Singapore - beating, denial of freedom, not providing proper facilities (no bed, no matress etc), locking them into cages, torturing, rape etc etc.

Occupational accident … !? I think not.

Sorry, Juba – i don’t have any exact dates or sources. i’ll try to find something. It was big news back when it happened – at least for those of us who already knew a bit about the situation. i had lived in Chung Li not too long before, and had seen the first waves of foreign maids hit the non-Taipei taiwanese households, and was really saddened by what i saw. One instance in particular was this woman brought over to help a family of four but who wound up serving a family of thirty – entirely against her contract, of course, 12+ hours a day, no overtime, no days off. Her employer did let her out of the house, though, and generally treated her with a nice bit of respect. The rest of the family were just peasant scumbags, though, leeching off of the success of her employers’ and not nearly so nice.

The problem was that, when i went to her employer, she was like “I know, i know – i hate this situation! But these are my (live-in) relatives – what can i do??

I really did get the feeling that she was just not deep enough to appreciate the pressure she was putting her maid through, nor strong enough to stand up to her good-for-nothing relatives.

Wash when I tell you and don’t talk to your friends

Nicole Constable on the plight of Hong Kong’s Filipino maids

books.guardian.co.uk/extracts/st … 39,00.html

If the worker is in Taipei County (including Sanchung), call 2960-3456. And if the worker in Tpe Cty is Thai, add extension 6481, Miss Lee. She is very nice, and speaks Thai, too.

If the worker is in Taipei County (including Sanchung (Sanchong)), call 2960-3456. And if the worker in Tpe Cty is Thai, add extension 6481, Miss Lee. She is very nice, and speaks Thai, too.[/quote]

Many workers are not allowed to use a telephone. And many aren’t even allowed out of the house. I knew an Indonesian girl last year who had been locked in the family’s home on the 4th floor in Shihlin for 3 months last year. Makes things kinda difficult, don’t ya think?

If you look on the 'net, you’ll see that (non-Oz, NZ, Brit, Can, US) foreign-worker abuse is not rare here, and that redress is often slow if it occurs at all.