Working and Work Culture for Expats in Taipei

Hi, first time poster, long time reader here…

I’ve just graduated from university in Sydney, Australia and I’m looking for work here and back in Taipei too (I was born in Taipei and have dual citizenship). Without access to the English-language newspapers in print, the only place I’ve been looking for jobs (non-teaching) in Taipei has been on this site.

Can anyone give me any idea where else to look? The working language would need to be English (as I am a Communications/Marketing graduate) , though I speak conversation Mandarin too.

I’d really appreciate it! Thank you…

Also, what’s the deal with job applications here?

How are job interviews conducted? And how long should I expect to wait for a response?

Does anyone have any helpful stories to tell about their own jobhunt experiences?

[quote=“teacup”]Also, what’s the deal with job applications here?

How are job interviews conducted? And how long should I expect to wait for a response?

Does anyone have any helpful stories to tell about their own jobhunt experiences?[/quote]

Well teacup if you are a male I’m sure you could first start with compulsory military service. Staying here on an Aussie passport does not protect you from that as you are also an ROC citizen.

Hey,

I’m in a similar position as teacup…

Just graduated from Melbourne University and am heading back to Taipei to learn chinese.

My understanding of the military service law is that if you were born on or before 1984, then all you need to do is exit the country every 4 months.
So basically hop over to Hong Kong of Japan then come back.

If you were born after 1985, then you are limited to a total of 186 days you can stay in Taiwan each year.

Head over to the OCAC office near NTU Hospital for relevant information and brochures.

Anyways… back on topic… I am actually wondering the same thing.

I am guessing that Resume’s are a must, but what about Cover Letters? I’ve also seen on some web sites that they want photos and autobiographies? huh?!

Correct.

Seems so. There’s a thread in the Overseas Residency Rights Forums that talks about military conscription.

[quote=“frokky”]Anyways… back on topic… I am actually wondering the same thing.

I am guessing that Resume’s are a must, but what about Cover Letters? I’ve also seen on some web sites that they want photos and autobiographies? huh?![/quote]

Yes, the standard here is to have your resume, autobiographical blurb and a photo of yourself. If you’re going for multinational companies and/or positions that require a lot of foreign exposure, submit your paperwork both in Chinese and in English.

GL,

Get your parents to read this then.

immigration.gov.tw/aspcode/L … NodeID=142

I’m a girl. No military service for me, thanks.

hahaha… that clears everything up :smiley:

Autobiography blurb?!

What should be included in it?
Date and place of birth, which schools, which jobs,…

isn’t that all already in the resume?

frokky,

I just came back to Sydney three weeks ago (for Chinese New Year) after spending two months in Taipei studying Chinese! I was dreading it since my parents have been nagging me about it for around…hm, 15 years…but it was so much fun! All I’ve been hearing is “Meh, I told you so”.

I was at the Culture University on He Ping Dong Rd Sec. 2…where are you planning to study?

I’m looking for jobs both in Taipei and Sydney and I don’t know what I’m going to do if I’m asked to come in for an interview since well, I’m here. I’ve got graduation ceremony in May though, which could be weird if I find a job I really want to take. What kind of jobs are you looking for?

And indeed, is anyone else looking for a job? If so, what kind? (I don’t want to exclude others.)

Personal appearance. When you apply for a job, the paperwork is the basics - from there you get an interview. If you really want the job, visit the company and tell them you want the job, and why you are very qualified doing it.

Our best employees are the ones that show up with no appointment, manage to get a meeting and convince us - the worst ones are the ones that we employ based on their papers…

Are you going to work as ROC citizen of Australian? -It has something to do with each companies’ foreign quota.

hi, thanks for that response.

I’d work as an ROC citizen for tax purposes and also I assume it’s an advantage for the employer not to have to deal with work permits and visa situations.

and another question, if you don’t mind. If the working environment is expected to be English, the interview should be conducted in English, right?

[quote=“teacup”]hi, thanks for that response.

I’d work as an ROC citizen for tax purposes and also I assume it’s an advantage for the employer not to have to deal with work permits and visa situations.

and another question, if you don’t mind. If the working environment is expected to be English, the interview should be conducted in English, right?[/quote]

You will have to interact with the other people, speaking Mandarin, so most of the interview would be in Mandarin, with parts English - French, German, Spanish, Russian or other torture I could imagine at the time :yinyang:

and another question, thanks for your help with this stuff:

If you’ve already emailed in an application for a position, would it be appropriate to call up the next week with a follow up? Is this proactive approach appreciated in Taiwan?

I know in other parts of the world they prefer applicants to be patient and wait a few weeks before hearing back…but in Taipei things seem to be different, as always.

Seems like we’re doing similar stuff.

I went back Taipei for a month of holiday after finishing Uni in December, had some time to think about it and decided I’d better learn Chinese as it was embarassing that I couldn’t even read signs, or tell the difference between conditioner and shampoo.

I took a look at Shi-Da and Wen-Hua Universities and decided on Wen-Hua, the atmosphere there was so much better. Got good vibes from that place. It’s great to hear the you had fun there, hopefully I’ll enjoy it as much as you did. Got any advice on how to get settled in, or things to avoid while I’m there?

I also just got back to Melbourne a few weeks ago to tidy a few things up and my graduation is March 5th, then straight onto the plane to start at Wen-Hua on the 7th. I’ll probably be in Taiwan for the rest of the year.

I’ve majored in Accounting and Finance, but I am not restricting myself to those fields as I want to try other things so I’m basically looking around and seeing what jobs are available. Maybe even teach english or something.

So… what does one put in the autobiography blurb?

[quote=“X3M”]
Are you going to work as ROC citizen of Australian? -It has something to do with each companies’ foreign quota.[/quote]

I’ve heard from personnel depts that this foreign quota thing may be a thing of the past. Although a lot of them don’t know about it. The rules on this are (as usual) vague.

It won’t matter thought if you apply for a job as a Taiwanese using your ID, passport etc.

[quote=“frokky”]

So… what does one put in the autobiography blurb?[/quote]

Don’t worry about it. They are all the same. I’d say borrow someone else’s and change the names and locations. :laughing:
(I am only half-joking!)

They all say the same thing: 'I was born in blah blah blah. I have blah blah brothers and blah blah sisters. My parents were poor but hardworking. Me too. I struggled all through my education and did lots of part-time jobs, proving how responsible I am.

Since I was three I have dreamed of working for you esteemed company, which everyone knows is the best in the world… blah blah blah blah blah…’ :smiley:

Above all, do not show any creativity or capacity for genuine reflection on your life or career. That will get you binned in a flash! :wink:

[quote=“dreamer”]Don’t worry about it. They are all the same. I’d say borrow someone else’s and change the names and locations. :laughing:
(I am only half-joking!)

They all say the same thing: 'I was born in blah blah blah. I have blah blah brothers and blah blah sisters. My parents were poor but hardworking. Me too. I struggled all through my education and did lots of part-time jobs, proving how responsible I am.

Since I was three I have dreamed of working for you esteemed company, which everyone knows is the best in the world… blah blah blah blah blah…’ :smiley:

Above all, do not show any creativity or capacity for genuine reflection on your life or career. That will get you binned in a flash! :wink:[/quote]

Damn… that was funny! :laughing:

[quote=“Tigerman”]
Damn… that was funny! :laughing:[/quote]

Aha! You’ve edited (or translated) some of those before too! Right? :wink:

[quote=“dreamer”][quote=“Tigerman”]
Damn… that was funny! :laughing:[/quote]

Aha! You’ve edited (or translated) some of those before too! Right? :wink:[/quote]

At least 50 of them… :slight_smile:

hahah… so an autobiography is basically a long dribble of crap.