Working conditions in here

Hi!

Since about one week I live in Taiwan with my girlfriend, first will studying chinese here.
My girlfriend started to work at a company this week in a job position which, in my opinion, needs more high qualified people with good education.
But I really wonder more an more about the way how to work here, because she told me, she even didn’t sign any working contract und today I heard she even don’t know how much money she will get!!
That’s incredible. Is that normal here? How they can know they get enough salary?
What if she gets less salary than usual in this branch? Are there any laws or rules can protect her here?
At least she say they will register her at the NHI, but that also will take a bit time. At the current state I think she even can not proof that she already works at this company.
She only signed an agreement, that the company can fine her, if she destroy something or talk about company secrets…
I’m really a bit shocked. I already knew the working conditions are not the best here, have to work hard, maybe long working hours, overwork not always paid, but that’s really almost unbelievable for me to not even have any contract and no written arranged working conditions… :astonished:

[quote=“Armin79”]Hi!

Since about one week I live in Taiwan with my girlfriend, first will studying chinese here.
My girlfriend started to work at a company this week in a job position which, in my opinion, needs more high qualified people with good education.
But I really wonder more an more about the way how to work here, because she told me, she even didn’t sign any working contract und today I heard she even don’t know how much money she will get!!
That’s incredible. Is that normal here? How they can know they get enough salary?
What if she gets less salary than usual in this branch? Are there any laws or rules can protect her here?
At least she say they will register her at the NHI, but that also will take a bit time. At the current state I think she even can not proof that she already works at this company.
She only signed an agreement, that the company can fine her, if she destroy something or talk about company secrets…
I’m really a bit shocked. I already knew the working conditions are not the best here, have to work hard, maybe long working hours, overwork not always paid, but that’s really almost unbelievable for me to not even have any contract and no written arranged working conditions… :astonished:[/quote]
Many questions about working conditions can be answered by reading the Labor Standards Act, but if she’s a foreigner without a work permit (or working holiday visa) then she shouldn’t be working anyway. From your description of the company, it doesn’t care about the law, so it will probably tell her she’s working legally even if she isn’t.

In general,

1. An oral contract is legitimate, but it’s a terrible idea because you can’t prove it exists.
  2. The salary or its calculation method should be clearly stated in the contract.
  3. Unless both parties agree otherwise, the salary must be paid at least twice every month.
  4. Asking a foreigner to start work before obtaining a work permit is (sadly) common, but it’s illegal for both parties, and the foreigner risks deportation.
  5. The employer can’t fine the employee; if it wants compensation for something, it has to file a lawsuit.
  6. Trade secrets are protected by law (civil and criminal), but not all kinds of company information are trade secrets.
  7. Overtime must be paid.
  8. If the employer breaks the law in a way that affects the employee’s rights, within 30 days of discovering the violation the employee can quit without advance notice and receive severance pay (if the employee can prove the violation). The employee can also quit at any time (and still receive severance pay) if the employer refuses to pay the employee correctly.
  9. If you have a student ARC, you don’t need a job to get NHI.

For more information you can talk to the local labor department at City Hall (or County Hall).