Working Holiday Visa in Taiwan

After some months on a student visa you’re allowed to work about 20 hours/week PT.

Yes but there is still the same issue - finding some job. As it will be still a challenge.

Bars, clubs, restaurants, hotels, farms, sub teacher for buxibans, amusement parks etc

Probably would do something else than just come on a working holiday visa with no Chinese ability, Taiwan can be pretty limiting in that sense. Maybe do a semester of Chinese classes and get to know the place a little then take it from there.

If you only want a working holiday in an Asian country, I would recommend Japan, the WH is popular there so is easy to find jobs in tourist or factories, also the pay is not bad, is you are more open do the WH in Australia and then you will have a lot of money to travel around Asia. Another alternative you can apply for a Taiwan Scholarship

I agree with most of @slawa’s advice. However…

Just to be clear, you don’t apply for an ARC while you have a WHV, unless you’re British.

There’s no law preventing them from hiring a WHV holder for as long as the WHV holder is permitted to work at a single job (which should be 6 months for a Czech). They can still choose not to because they think non-native speakers are unqualified, but in general they also hire Taiwanese to teach English (and then there’s the notorious “white monkey” syndrome), so it’s possible.

To teach in a buxiban, you need a criminal record check, as discussed in several other threads. (This is a relatively new requirement.)

Your mileage may vary, depending on what you’re accustomed to in Czechia and wherever you’ve traveled. The NT dollar is almost equal to the Thai baht, but you’ll probably find prices in Taiwan higher, in general, than those in Thailand.

More information:

1 Like

I read on the internet that Japan is not so foreigner friendly. I read some pretty depressing stories about working in japan as european. South Korea was nearly the same thing.

Actually, I was thinking about doing WH in Australia, save money, and then travel Asia. But I just do not like the idea of being somewhere just because of money, and keep dreaming about Asia on the other side of planet. I can stay there then. Also It wouldn´t be so authentic.

I wonder why they started with WH visas in TW when there is this problem with jobs.

I read that topic five times haha. Thank you.

My english is not perfect, I can not teach there.

I would highly recommend doing Australia first.
Just be disciplined and determined in your goal. It is easy to get lazy and spend your hard earned dollars in Australia. But you get a tenfold out of your money if you spend it in other Asian country.

Working holiday agreements are reciprocal, and Taiwanese want them. :2cents:

1 Like

I understand your point. Unfortunately, to do WH in Aus, one of the conditions is the need to have BA degree. So there is only option of studying something in Aus and work there part time.

Another option is New Zealand. But quota is quite small (100 people) and it is full after minutes after opening. Huge demand there.

Did not know Australia allowed Czech residents to get a WHV, that must be recent because in my 2 years there (2010-2011), only France, Germany, Italy, Denmark, Sweden, UK, Estonia, Belgium and Netherlands were the allowed European countries.
Unfortunately, Taiwan and Thailand are very different, in Thailand you can speak English and most people will understand and reply to you, in Taiwan not so much especially the not so young people.
But I once saw an European guy working in a small brunch restaurant, saw him in the kitchen, was quite surprised, he was probably a student learning Chinese and working part time. All the staff was young so they probably could speak Chinese, or the guy could speak decent mandarin.
Also, don’t expect to be able to converse in Chinese after studying for only 6 months.
I sound discouraging but this is my honest opinion.
But if you can go to Australia, I would personally not hesitate a second.
There is also the Canada option, met two Czechs there when I was working in 2014, both worked in a restaurant. Canada is complicated though with a lot of paperwork compared to laid back Australia.

Australia is allowed for Czech, as well as Canada, NZ, Izrael, Chile, Japan (most recent, started 2018), Taiwan, South Korea, and I think that´s all at this moment.

But I personally can not apply for WHV in Aus because I don´t have BA degree.

I have written an email to embassies of Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan. I asked if the quota was fulfilled and they all answered the same - It wasn´t. So I can apply anytime. I meet all required conditions so the chances are pretty high.

But as I have written. I would love to stay somewhere in Asia. I prefer Taiwan but If it is not possible to speak English there with locals and job opportunities are so low… I think It will be better to look anywhere else. Even though It´s making me a little sad.

I wonder if it’s possible to do woofing in Taiwan (working in a farm and get the accomodation for free). Obviously the farmers will speak no english or very little but it could be fun and a good way to be forced to learn some mandarin. It’s probably possible even though a few people will do it.

60 US dollars for 8 hrs of work is not bad at all. If I consider prices in Taiwan.

Was thinking the same when reading the article. I knew backpackers in Australia who would get less for similar work.

They ask 2 years of study, no necessary university degree, do you have any certification? or did you study at least two years in the Uni or some study after school? I saw here in Taipei hostel take WH but they pay really bad and a lot of hours and multi-task

Please look this for the next year. I think is the best for you

https://www.roc-taiwan.org/cz_cs/post/3279.html
https://www.roc-taiwan.org/cz_cs/post/3276.html

I have completed elementary school (obviously) + 4 years at High School (focused on automotive) finished with graduation. Apart from that I am holder of international certificate of a car mechanic.

But I understand it clearly, I have to be a university student for atleast 2 years or I need to have BA degree. Every page on czech internet says that.