Working in Taiwan without a degree?

Hello Everyone;

I am 50ish, Canadian, and have a lot of experience and NO DEGREE. I want to come to Taiwan on a tourist, student or multiple entry business visa (I have read there are such things.) What’s the best option?

What’s the easiest way to find work? Best place to start? Agents or Schools to contact? Get privage classes? (I have a lot of Business English experience).

Appreciate any scuttlebut. And if you need to ventilate about my not having a degree, fill your boots.

Lack of a degree is not a problem, but I wouldn’t mention the fact you’re from Canada, eh. You might consider sewing a US flag to your backpack.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Lack of a degree is not a problem, but I wouldn’t mention the fact you’re from Canada, eh. You might consider sewing a US flag to your backpack.[/quote]I’m curious why Mother Theresa thinks being Canadian will make finding a job any more difficult. I realize there are a lot of us here, but I don’t think that anyone will hold it against you. At least not anyone in the position to give you a job, that is.

Sewing a US flag on your backpack? Isn’t it usually the other way around?

Just kidding, redmenace (at least he’s not a Kiwi).

Don’t worry about finding work Jim, you shouldn’t have trouble as long as you look presentable and speak decent English. No need for an agent as far as I know – there always seem to be lots of jobs advertised in the paper and I always had luck just dropping off resumes. There easily may be business english opportunities and your prior experience should help. I believe people will inform you shortly that without a degree you can’t legally find teaching work in Taiwan, but even if that’s true, that assumes you tell them the truth ; -)

There’s plenty of work here. Things will work out fine. I don’t see why your situation should be so different from that of any 25 year-old, without a degree, who finds work teaching English in Taiwan.

eh, Kiwi, what’s that all about? Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Just be aware that without a degree, you won’t be able to legally work as a teacher.

brian

Unless you marry a Taiwanese lass.

Are you sure about that? Is this a MOE thing? Because I have an ARC with no degree based on 17 years experience in the University of Life (the City of London post big-bang).

Are you blonde? You look like Ken from Barbie? Sorry - that’s all most Taiwanese schools are interested in. Luckily they have loads of early 20-whatever Canadian idjits with the correct “white boy/girl grinning idiot” look, so you’ll have a hard time finding a job competing against such sorts. I am just (unlike most of the other posters here) being HONEST about what it’s REALLY like in Taiwan. I hope you’re not (gasp!) black or brown or FAT or BALD or anything - to the Taiwanese, such people are LEPERS. You see, they’re extremely bigoted down here. Good luck!

[quote=“vancouverjim”]Hello Everyone;

I am 50ish, Canadian, and have a lot of experience and NO DEGREE. I want to come to Taiwan on a tourist, student or multiple entry business visa (I have read there are such things.) What’s the best option?

What’s the easiest way to find work? Best place to start? Agents or Schools to contact? Get privage classes? (I have a lot of Business English experience).

Appreciate any scuttlebut. And if you need to ventilate about my not having a degree, fill your boots.[/quote]

You may be able to fill some time with private students but that probably won’t pay the rent.

There are lots of schools here that would never consider hiring a 50ish person and that, even more than a lack of degree, is where you’re likely to run into trouble.

Yes deifnitely. Yes. I take it your work is not teaching English (and even then I’m surprised you don’t need a degree).

Brian

Yes deifnitely. Yes. I take it your work is not teaching English (and even then I’m surprised you don’t need a degree).

Brian[/quote]

IT/Finance. No need for a degree as long as you can prove at least 7 years experience.

I found this comment amusing considering there are probably many Americans running around the world now with Canadian flags sewn to their backpacks. :notworthy:

I think skin color makes much more of a difference than nationality or language or teaching skills, I’m sad to say. As a previous poster mentioned, age discrimination is also commonplace and perfectly acceptable here. But if you’re into business Engish, that’s less of an issue.

Not having a degree is certainly a problem. One option, if you have the time, is to get a degree here. Not very practical, I know, but it’s certainly possible. And you could certainly surive on private teaching while you’re at it (as long as you’re not living in Taipei). Another option might be looking into editing and non-teaching work.

I think MT was being jealously sarcastic by that comment.

Hope you not bias against your students.

Funny thing is…we can’t tell each other apart, anymore, either.

There’s not much of a difference. Sorry to bust your bubble.

[quote=“Colin”]I think MT was being jealously sarcastic by that comment.

Hope you not bias against your students.[/quote]

Not jealous at all. Just being goofy as it was getting towards the end of the day. I never believed that US citizens really paste mapleleafs on their possessions and pose as Canadians – I think that’s just an urban legend. In any event, I never felt any need to do so as I always felt that people will treat you fine as long as you treat them well, regardless of where you’re from. After the past couple of years of Bush, however, maybe that really is changing, but if you read anything into my comment more than a silly attempt at humor you read too deeply.

As for the need for a degree, hell, I don’t know. I understand that technically it’s required, but I always expect things will turn out fine (which infuriates my wife who likes to worry). . . and they usually do. But maybe you guys are right – maybe he’s screwed.

I would go so far to say that MOST of the non-Taiwanese/non-Chinese who are teaching English in Taiwan have fake degrees…doesn’t matter if they have a work visa + ARC…they just submitted a fake degree or photocopied degree to the MOE and it always gets approved (thinking of my friends right now).

I would find that pretty hard to believe. Some, probably. MOST, unlikely.

Thanks to all for your threads and PMs. This board seems a lot more positive than good old Dave’s ESL Cafe.

Can anyone comment on extendable visas or visas in general? I will leave Shangahi and be in Hong Kong near the end of July. From what I’m reading I’m not clear if I should come in w/out a visa, (Canada passport) get the 30 days on entry and then get the student visa or if I can quickly and cheaply get the student visa in HK.

I like the idea one person gave me about studying for a degree at a Taiwan university and workng part time teaching private classes, etc. Any others have experience/knowlege of this?

How many of you have worked in mainland China as well? I understand Taiwan is more comfortable overall from those who have worked both places.

Thanks again!!

My Chinese professor in the US got me a job offer teaching at a technical college in mainland China for far less money than what I now make teaching at a preschool in Taiwan. It wasn’t hard making a decision.