Working in Taiwan without a degree?

I would find that pretty hard to believe. Some, probably. MOST, unlikely.[/quote]

Seriously. I would be EVERYTHING I OWN on this statement. Some friends (who had been to college, yes, but never graduated) didn’t tell me of their degree-less status until I had known them for years.

I am going to try and post a poll on this topic.

I will be travelling in Asia and hopefully staying in a few countries for a couple of months or more.

Taiwan is one of the countries I am hoping to stay in for a while.

I would like to work while I stay in these countries but do not have a bachelor’s degree.

Is it at all possible to work in Taiwan without a degree?

[quote=“Emoticon”]I will be travelling in Asia and hopefully staying in a few countries for a couple of months or more.

I would like to work while I stay in these countries but do not have a bachelor’s degree.

Is it at all possible to work in Taiwan without a degree?[/quote]

Yes, but not legally. Unless you married to a local.

Is working illegaly in Taiwan very risky?

Does having a TESL cert mean anything without a degree?

Not legally. And with the current situation of the job market (tight), I would probably give Taiwan a pass… Sorry for not giving you a more hopeful reply…

Yes, but not legally.

The longest you can get a visa for if you are ‘just visiting’ is 60 days.

Most companies even if you are working ‘under the table’ for them expect a 1 year commitment, and have penilities if you leave early.

Currently it is apparently getting harder to find a job. If you have little experience and have no intention of staying a year it will be even harder.

‘Substitute teaching for a short time’ work is available at times, and increases in amount in the summer, July/August, and is ‘always’ done informally so you may have luck there.

Jobs in other prefesions are very few, and require experience and qualifications and commitment.

On that basis, expect to come here for only 2 months. Expect to either lie to get a job and then annoy people when you leave, or teach only a few hours a week. The second option should see you earning enough to cover basic expenses, but you will need savings too.

Well to be honest I would be willing to commit to a year if I was able to work without too much legal risk. I plan in staying in Asia as long as I can (I am from Canada originally) so a year is feasable as long as I can get a decent job.

Additionally I am in the process of getting a TESL cert. I have experience teaching, just not English. I have experience teaching chess to children. I know what some of you are probably thinking but it is more challenging than you may think. I am not talking about just teaching the moves and rules. :wink:

Also are there other certifications that would actually help?

You don’t need a degree to work legally as long as you can provide verifiable proof of a certain period of experience in your field (I believe it is 7 years).
This does not apply to teaching English, for which you require a degree.

[quote=“sandman”]You don’t need a degree to work legally as long as you can provide verifiable proof of a certain period of experience in your field (I believe it is 7 years).
This does not apply to teaching English, for which you require a degree.[/quote]

Are you talking about the “researcher” work permit? If so, it is proof of 2 years employment.

What is a researcher work permit? :help:

[quote=“The Gumper”][quote=“sandman”]You don’t need a degree to work legally as long as you can provide verifiable proof of a certain period of experience in your field (I believe it is 7 years).
This does not apply to teaching English, for which you require a degree.[/quote]

Are you talking about the “researcher” work permit? If so, it is proof of 2 years employment.[/quote]
No, I’m talking about engineering, that kind of stuff. I know a good few high speed rail workers who have no degrees but years of civil engineering experience.

Even though I have one, I am not completely sure what it is. All i know is I have a valid ARC. PM if you have any questions you think I might be able to answer. Sorry I am not much help.

[quote=“sandman”]
No, I’m talking about engineering, that kind of stuff. I know a good few high speed rail workers who have no degrees but years of civil engineering experience.[/quote]

There is something similar for white collar workers, too. The information I had when I had somebody apply for my work permit was:

[quote]Academic Qualification: Working Experience needed:
Phd: None needed
Master Degree: At least one year of working experience
University Bachelor Degree: At least two years of working experience
Technical College: At least three years of working experience
High School or below: At least eight years of working experience[/quote]

That was 3 years ago, so it might have changed somewhat. Oh, and it said relevant working experience, so I doubt you’d get a work permit as computer engineer if you provide proof of working experience as gardener.

Of course, for teaching English, the situation is different.

HTH
Iris

If you’re from Australia or NZ you can get a working holiday permit for two years. That allows you to work short term without a degree. You also have to be under a certain age, which may be 30.
Brian

I don’t know about the rest of Taiwan but Taipei is swimming in foriegners these days. I’m glad I’m not looking for a job.

[quote=“Emoticon”]I will be travelling in Asia and hopefully staying in a few countries for a couple of months or more.

You don’t have a BA; but do you have an AA (two year college diploma) or similar? If you do, you can combine that with a tesl and work legally. If you do not, then you will not be able to work legally (marriage aside). It is possible to work illegally. You definitely won’t have the pick of the jobs and there is alot more hassle involved (visa trips and/or paying for bogus Chinese courses to get extensions). I meet plenty who go for this arrangement. Not sure why they bother, actually. It just doesn’t seem worth it to me. But I guess if you have no other choice…

[quote=“TS”][quote=“Emoticon”]I will be travelling in Asia and hopefully staying in a few countries for a couple of months or more.

You don’t have a BA; but do you have an AA (two year college diploma) or similar? If you do, you can combine that with a tesl and work legally. If you do not, then you will not be able to work legally (marriage aside). It is possible to work illegally. You definitely won’t have the pick of the jobs and there is alot more hassle involved (visa trips and/or paying for bogus Chinese courses to get extensions). I meet plenty who go for this arrangement. Not sure why they bother, actually. It just doesn’t seem worth it to me. But I guess if you have no other choice…[/quote]
Be aware that this applies only to teaching.

Great, just what Taiwan needs, yet ANOTHER backpacker hippy bum from Canada who wants to “do Asia” and thinks that scamming himself a job “teaching” toddlers the Hokey Pokey a few hours a week will pay for a vacation in Thailand.

Times have changed. The market is tighter and your kind are no longer welcome in Taiwan.

[quote=“Rubicon Bojador”]Great, just what Taiwan needs, yet ANOTHER backpacker hippy bum from Canada who wants to “do Asia” and thinks that scamming himself a job “teaching” toddlers the Hokey Pokey a few hours a week will pay for a vacation in Thailand.

Times have changed. The market is tighter and your kind are no longer welcome in Taiwan.[/quote]

Umm. I’d watch it with the Canada cracks if I were you. :fume:

But Taiwan belongs to you, doesn’t it buddy?!