Working in Taiwan

Ok my cousin in the states is thinking about coming to Taiwan to teach…but how can he work legally? get ARC? he is also thinking about gett dual citizenship since his mom is living in Taiwan (he was born in the states) I guess after citizenship then he can work?

He has the 3 months visa thing…he can come visit Taiwan but can he work? like work for 3 month…go to hong kong and back then keep on working…is that illegal? do bosses mind? when police find out they will export you eh and later would be harder to come back or something…

so work here legally is ARC or dual citizenship eh? any advice would be really appreciated

[quote=“ironfist”]Ok my cousin in the states is thinking about coming to Taiwan to teach…but how can he work legally? get ARC? he is also thinking about gett dual citizenship since his mom is living in Taiwan (he was born in the states) I guess after citizenship then he can work?

He has the 3 months visa thing…he can come visit Taiwan but can he work? like work for 3 month…go to Hong Kong and back then keep on working…is that illegal? do bosses mind? when police find out they will export you eh and later would be harder to come back or something…

so work here legally is ARC or dual citizenship eh? any advice would be really appreciated[/quote]

Working legally means your friend has a work ARC or a marriage-based ARC (JFRV with ROC national) or citizenship. Many people don’t work legally but you asked for legal means.

Whatever the 3 month visa thing is, it’s not legal for working. Some bosses mind, some bosses don’t mind. If found out, there are consequences.

Yes, of course if one is a citizen of Taiwan then one can work without restrictions. If your cousin obtains his dual citizenship he’ll be on the hook for military conscription.

military…I heard you can just leave Taiwan every 4 month, and like go to HK and come back to avoid the military? but recently I heard it doesnt work anymore…does it still work

yep… i’m doing it. Just went out and came back… heh

But there is a lot of paperwork involved to prove to the government that you have been living overseas and have another citizenship. Showing them another passport is not enough to avoid military service.

like what kind of paperwork? how about relative’s address overseas

Firstly, there is a very big stamp you’ll need to get on the Taiwanese passport. It basically states that you are an overseas chinese. This needs to be obtained from the embassy/consulate/office in the city you are from (US). There’s other criteria’s to obtain this stamp which I’m not too familiar with, best to call and ask the embassy, or whatever it’s called.

Now that you have this stamp, leave and enter Taiwan using the Taiwanese passport only.

Once you begin living in Taiwan, you’ll need to obtain a schedule of all entry and exits dates for Taiwan on both/all passports you possess.

Take it to your local district government office and they should have a department there that deals with conscription. They will look at the dates and if it passes certain rules, then there is a form to fill out. Apparently this form becomes a kind of certificate you can show them when they come looking for you, and it is a ‘get out of jail’ card.

Then… if you want to leave the country (which you will want to), another stamp is required on the Taiwanese passport.