Working in Taiwan

Interested in working in Taiwan, especially the Taipei area.

It seems only those english language teachers are wanted which I’m not qualified. Was looking more for technical IT job, anybody knows where I can start? Any websites (english) that I can check out? Unfortunately my chinese is almost non-existent.

Look, can you answer the following?

• Have you performed an upside down keg bomb in the last 6 months?

• Have you been “let go” by one of the four major fast food chains?

• Are you able to throw a sticky ball over 5 metres?

• Is wearing a Canadian Tuxedo dressing up for you?

If you answered yes to at least three of the four questions pack your shit and get your dodgy ass over here. There will be an engrish teacher pasted out in class tomorrow morning and a slot to be filled by that afternoon. :smiley:

… If you are looking for a job in Taiwan, than I suggest to learn Chinese first…

Imagine a Taiwanese going to the US looking for a IT job, but he does not speak English :unamused:

By the way do you have working experience?

[quote=“guanbatt”]… If you are looking for a job in Taiwan, than I suggest to learn Chinese first…

Imagine a Taiwanese going to the US looking for a IT job, but he does not speak English :unamused:

By the way do you have working experience?[/quote]

Yeah, imagine …

No Chinese people in the UK. Oh no.

Why do you imagine Taiwanese tech cos hire English native speakers?

[quote=“Buttercup”][quote=“guanbatt”]… If you are looking for a job in Taiwan, than I suggest to learn Chinese first…

Yeah, imagine …

Why do you imagine Taiwanese tech cos hire English native speakers?[/quote]

Are you serious?

Taiwanese IT company likes to hire English native speakers who DO speaks Mandarin.

We are in 2009, during a freaking recession, what do you think? Now I have the choice, hiring someone who is ABC and speaks English and Mandarin fluently or a native English speaker who does not speak Mandarin…

Look, can you answer the following?

• Have you performed an upside down keg bomb in the last 6 months?

• Have you been “let go” by one of the four major fast food chains?

• Are you able to throw a sticky ball over 5 metres?

• Is wearing a Canadian Tuxedo dressing up for you?

If you answered yes to at least three of the four questions pack your shit and get your dodgy ass over here. There will be an engrish teacher pasted out in class tomorrow morning and a slot to be filled by that afternoon. :smiley:[/quote]
:roflmao: :notworthy: :bravo: PPE, classic post! If I ever got rich enough, I would outsource my forumosa posting to you.

To the OP, I can’t be bothered writing a proper reply to your post. It reeks of laziness, half-arsery and general retardedness.

[quote=“guanbatt”][quote=“Buttercup”][quote=“guanbatt”]… If you are looking for a job in Taiwan, than I suggest to learn Chinese first…

Yeah, imagine …

Why do you imagine Taiwanese tech cos hire English native speakers?[/quote]

Are you serious?

Taiwanese IT company likes to hire English native speakers who DO speaks Mandarin.

We are in 2009, during a freaking recession, what do you think? Now I have the choice, hiring someone who is ABC and speaks English and Mandarin fluently or a native English speaker who does not speak Mandarin…[/quote]

The native speaker can write English stuff for them. True bilinguality is largely a myth. Of course, conversational Chinese is better than nothing, but they hire furriners for their English ability. That’s his angle.

[quote]

The native speaker can write English stuff for them. True bilinguality is largely a myth. Of course, conversational Chinese is better than nothing, but they hire furriners for their English ability. That’s his angle.[/quote]

You know, what happened to the native speaker in my company :slight_smile:. They hired him to write the manual, after he finished all manuals they just fired him… :fume: really pisses me off, but thats the freaking truth in Taiwan… and by the way the mate does speak Chinese, even pretty good…

Its good if you can speak English, but you have to face the reality, that only language won’t help you to find a good job. What counts is experience, thats far more important…

By the way what do you mean by furriners?? Do you mean foreigners??

[quote=“guanbatt”]
You know, what happened to the native speaker in my company :slight_smile:. They hired him to write the manual, after he finished all manuals they just fired him… :fume: really pisses me off, but thats the freaking truth in Taiwan… and by the way the mate does speak Chinese, even pretty good…[/quote]

So what’s your point?

My point is:

1. learn Chinese first, before thinking to stay in Taiwan.

2. Get some experience before looking for a job

3. Stop dreaming about how easy it is to find a job in Taiwan, only because we are English native speaker!

[quote=“guanbatt”]My point is:

1. learn Chinese first, before thinking to stay in Taiwan.

2. Get some experience before looking for a job

3. Stop dreaming about how easy it is to find a job in Taiwan, only because we are English native speaker![/quote]

But your post said the guy could speak Chinese but got fired.

You need experience to get a work permit.

:laughing:

Ok forget the we are native speaker, I am not :stuck_out_tongue:

You need experience to get a job :unamused: , I am not sure about you, but I had to find a job first, before my company was able to apply for a work permit… :ponder:

And you got your work permit without two years of experience?

Sorry, I can’t really follow what you’re on about. Good luck to the OP.

[quote=“Buttercup”]And you got your work permit without two years of experience?

Sorry, I can’t really follow what you’re on about. Good luck to the OP.[/quote]

:ponder:

I don’t know anything about IT or about job prospects in Taiwan in the current economic situation, but here are some threads or parts of threads that discuss IT jobs:

From 2002: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1048
From 2003: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8718
From 2006: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 70&t=53644
From 2008: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 07#p818807

To repeat: I don’t have an opinion as to whether it’s prudent to come to Taiwan at this time, no matter whether one is looking for an IT job or some other kind of job, because I don’t have enough knowledge about it. Maybe someone in the IT field will come along and throw some light on that subject.

well, my experience, which is probably the exception rather than the norm:

abc w/poor chinese (incl. speaking!), 4 months at 師大. rejected by buxibans for looking asian (wtf!). offered sales position at tech company, w/prospect of moving to consultant w/improved chinese. went to headhunter and found a programming job at a financial company (everyone has to have english ability due to the work, so i lucked out). i had 3+ yrs experience.

so…it’s not impossible to find a job w/o fluent chinese skills. i wouldn’t expect the search to be easy but it can be done. have a chinese speaker help you w/104.com.tw, and check out headhunters like adecco, manpower, etc.

Thanks for all the reply.

I only have basic conversational chinese (mandarin) which i rarely use since it sucks… T_T Well my job experiences comes from end user PC systems and computer and internet networking. Currently working for a local Internet Service Provider (ISP) doing helpdesk job.

Unfortunately I don’t have a degree or diploma, only a Cisco cert (CCNA). Currently looking into upgrading to CCNP.

Guess I’ll just keep looking. I’ll be in Taipei for about a week next month for a short vacation. Again, thanks for all your replies. ^^

mosa krosa:
Yep, I was recommended 104.com.tw as well, guess I’ll get my chinese capable friends to help me on that area. Thanks for the assist.

Yer fucked for legal work in that case. Unless you can give the government eight years of previous experience in your field.
A degree plus two years experience in your field, or eight DOCUMENTED and VERIFIABLE years in your field – they WILL check.

What’s a keg bomb? Semtex and Smithwicks? Otherwise I’m good to go.

[quote=“mosa krosa”]well, my experience, which is probably the exception rather than the norm:

abc w/poor Chinese (incl. speaking!), 4 months at 師大. rejected by buxibans for looking Asian (wtf!). offered sales position at tech company, w/prospect of moving to consultant w/improved Chinese. went to headhunter and found a programming job at a financial company (everyone has to have english ability due to the work, so i lucked out). I had 3+ yrs experience.

so…it’s not impossible to find a job w/o fluent Chinese skills. I wouldn’t expect the search to be easy but it can be done. have a Chinese speaker help you w/104.com.tw, and check out headhunters like adecco, manpower, etc.[/quote]

If you are working in Taiwan as a computer programmer, why don’t you work in the U.S.? In the U.S., you get better pay and benefit, better work environment and career future (move to sales engieer, marketing engineer, project manager, technical advisor…etc). There are plenty of people who wants to be in sales or marketing, but lack technical background. There are also people (new immigrants) who have technical skills, but do not have a good command of English language.
But in Taiwan, you will not be able to move on to management level with your Chinese.