Working remote for an American company while on a working visa and ARC on a Taiwanese contract

There’s a couple of relevant recent threads here:

You can probably find quite a few more using terms like “remote” in the search function. (I’ve done this before and sifted through them all several times - not inclined to do it again!)

My understanding is that your overseas work would technically be illegal as it wouldn’t be covered by your work permit (and, to answer your edit, you won’t be able to get a work permit for that anyway). Nonetheless, it seems quite common to me and some would claim it to be a grey area (I don’t think it’s that grey, personally). AFAIK, the Taiwanese government doesn’t actively pursue people doing small amounts of irregular work for overseas clients while on a work-based ARC, and as long as you declare the income on your tax return that aspect of the potential illegality wouldn’t be an issue.

From your use of “independent contractor”, I take it that you wouldn’t be an employee of the U.S.-based company - that presumably makes it much easier for you to quit if and when you need to? Don’t forget that the lack of job security with that designation works both ways. :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s a valid concern, which I guess would depend on the specifics, e.g., how much work would be involved for the contractor role. I’ve had a full-time job while doing overseas freelance work before (in China though, not here), and it was a bit of a pain at times.

Personally (this would also depend on your answers to (2) and (3) above), I would take that to only become valid when I’m actually working for the Taiwanese company. I’m guessing you still don’t have an ARC and they haven’t yet applied for your work permit? In any case, I wouldn’t feel compelled to inform them before I’m actually working for them and they’re actually paying me.

AFAIK, you have no idea yet when you’ll be allowed to enter the country or start work, right? I wouldn’t be surprised if telling them you’re planning to do something else might backfire, and on that basis I wouldn’t volunteer the information. From the details you’ve given, it seems like your U.S. job would be easy to quit if/when you need to.

Are you eligible for the gold card? If so, that might make things easier work-permit wise (because you wouldn’t need one, even if you ended up doing both roles at once in Taiwan).

2 Likes