Working without a degree

From your knowledge, do you know if many decent paying jobs require a degree even if one had a JFRV visa and the ability to conduct their work in Mandarin?

Do you think you are ready to get married?

Not having a bachelors degree wouldn’t necessarily restrict you from working teaching English in a school in Taiwan, maybe with the exception of “good” school that may require a bachelors degree an Chinese language background, as long as you possess a JFRV visa. Depending on how much you have left to complete in your degree and whether you do intend to marry your partner and work in Taiwan, as an English teacher, it depends on whether you believe that your degree will give you opportunities to secure a higher paying job when you move to Taiwan afterwards.

This is to the best of my knowledge and and I am not an immigration officer or lawyer. Best of luck!

I run a few companies here and rarely hire people without a degree. Not necessarily because pursuing a degree makes you smarter, but because it shows commitment to learning. Taiwanese companies tend to be a lot more conservative and it will be difficult to find a decent job without a degree unless you have plenty of work experience in the same field.

What skills do you have to offer?

this is the question. If you have a skill, you don’t need a degree.

if you don’t have any special skills that locals don’t have, most employers may prefer locals with good English and degree than a foreigner on a marriage ARC with passable mandarin.

@Taichungguy2 What are you studying?

For non-teaching jobs, you can work without a degree provided you have 5 years of relevant experience.

AFAIK that’s just to qualify for a work permit. With the JFRV, that requirement would be moot. He would have open work rights with the JFRV, so as long as he has the skills and the employer is willing to hire him, should be no problem.

should be no problem, unless the marriage goes south within 5 years.

1 Like

What field is the degree in? If anything remotely useful, I would strongly second the opinion above that you should finish the degree first. You need to think beyond the next few years, that degree is something you’ll be including on your resume for the rest of your life.

Even if the degree isn’t particularly useful he’ll still have to come up with some plausible reason as to why he failed to complete his degree. It’s a real interview killer.

“I decided not to throw good money after bad.” :money_mouth_face:

But seriously…

Benefits such as paid vacation, paid sick leave, paid public holidays…

Ah yes, “benefits” such as following the law! :roll:

Btw technically (as far as we can tell) it’s the ARC you get while married that gives you open work rights, not the visa. Search for “What exactly is a JFRV?” if you want a detailed explanation.

1 Like

I don’t want to reopen the JFRV can of worms. It’s teaching kindy legally level of confusing, and I have a hangover.

Okay so i just got a job offer in Taichung on the premise i’d get the JFRV. The job is 20 hours a week. What do you guys reckon?

I think it totally depends on what kind of skills you have and what kind of careers you want in future.