Working without a visa

Can you work in Taiwan without an ARC and still legally pay tax?

Thanks

no you can’t…

You need a work visa to work.

Even if you are working illegally, you shall pay tax legally.

When you work legally without ARC, you shall pay tax legally too.

1 Like

How would you pay tax though, if you weren’t supposed to be working? It doesn’t make sense…

1 Like

you can pay tax at a tax office, even if you are supposed to not be work.

1 Like

I don’t know how that works.

but let’s just say if you do that, you’re more likely to be caught, and unlike the US different government agencies have much better cooperation in Taiwan.

you might be caught, but you still can pay tax legally.

1 Like

Even if you’re not a resident here legally, you’re still a resident for tax purposes (determined by number of days you stay here in a year, not your visa status).

As for why? Because this is Taiwan. 差不多啦

To work in Taiwan, you must live here and if you live here, you’re a resident and if you’re a resident, you’d have an ARC, wouldn’t you?

Can you point me to a government link that explains this?

foreigners can legally do some kind of works without ARC.

Such as?

Some kind of contract works etc.

https://ezworktaiwan.wda.gov.tw/en/cp.aspx?n=602D9CE3DD72F51C&s=EA95EFB8DF337ECF

Well, I know for a fact that the Department of labor, the department of taxation, and the NIH don’t communicate because my boss reports the correct amount of my earnings to the tax office but then reports the minimum income to labor and NIH to save money. I checked with them and they were shocked when I showed them my tax returns. They also said that they could only do something about it if I filed a complaint. This is Taiwan. Most agencies stick to their lane and don’t want to be bothered with any extra work.

Did you have to show the tax office any kind of ARC or other working visa?

I go there every year to file my taxes. In and out in less than 30 minutes. I have an APRC so I’m in the system. I don’t see how someone who doesn’t have an ARC would be able to pay taxes. You might get a better answer if you tell us what kind of work you do or want to do. Teach english privately/at a cram school, start your own company, beg for money on the street… Just get to the point and tell everyone your exact situation. Then, you’re more likely to get an answer that makes sense.

Some clown on FB was telling me he worked here illegally on a visitor visa and payed tax. I find this highly unlikely. However, I can’t find anything official to prove my argument.

You can definitely pay tax without an ARC. A colleague who spent several months here over a number of business trips was handed a large tax bill the following year.

1 Like

for those people to file tax, they issue ID number.

https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5475/5478/141465/141808/203962/

Was he working for a Taiwanese company? If he was spending months here, he must of had a work visa of some kind?